Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: would dpa ever make mini-cardioids..?  (Read 5717 times)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
would dpa ever make mini-cardioids..?
« on: December 03, 2004, 11:50:48 PM »
i sure wish they would - the cardioid equivalent to the 4060...

this would be great for larger venues, when you cant be right square up fob/dfc. i cant help but think my phish tapes from vegas would have come out better if the mics i used were cardioids and not omnis...

what do y'all think..?
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline goose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: would dpa ever make mini-cardioids..?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 12:48:02 AM »
yes, i think they might...  8)

They have already made the headset version - the 4088

http://www.soundnetwork.co.uk/mini_cardi.htm
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 12:49:37 AM by goose »

Offline goose

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 12:57:16 AM »
just to one-up moke...

« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 12:58:52 AM by goose »

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 12:58:22 AM »
so you could run a pair of those..?

you can just take them off the headband, right..?

-macdaddy ++

Offline goose

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 12:59:36 AM »
I don't see why not, but not really sure how they attach to the headband. The mic is pretty firm at the end, so it is not likely the regular mic cable connecting to the capsule.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2004, 01:07:31 AM »
could i power a pair with my cs batt box..?
-macdaddy ++

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2004, 09:16:49 PM »
I do not think these would be good for concert taping as they are meant for picking up vocals (example: from performing artists). The qualities that make a mic good for picking up clear vocals from someone on stage moving and jumping around are not the same that make a mic good for taping. I think these have a big presence region boost for sharpening up voices. In addition the bass rolls off quite high in frequency. I think there is very little in the way of low-end response from these microphones.

Take care,
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Tim

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2004, 09:22:39 PM »
not sure about the low end response but as far as a high frequency boost for vocals that could actually be useful for taping as higher frequencies dissipate at a greater rate than low frequencies. Doug Oade incorporated a switchable high frequency boost into the the m248 for just this reason. The Schoeps V caps and mk5 also incorporate a high frequency boost. I can't speak for these mics specifically but I don't think you should write them off just because of a high frequency boost.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2004, 10:33:07 PM »
looks like an ak50 :P
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2004, 11:02:16 PM »
that's an ugly rolloff graph, but can you consider bass from a pa in a concert hall far field..? i mean, i dont care where you are in a room when the mule plays, the bass is going to thump your chest. and that is the case in alot of these concerts. obviously there is no substitute for a field test, but i think that graph might be deceiving, esp. since "far" and "near"are a bit ambiguous, esp. given the purposes for which we would be using the mics...

i just hope they are as good as the omnis are -  i should think they would be the way to go for the larger concert venues, when placement is not ideal...

« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 11:03:47 PM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2004, 11:08:19 PM »
i'm skeptical just looking at the response graph. you'd have to pray for just the right kind of imbalanced sound. i'm curious but not optimistic.

... not that i know anything

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2004, 11:58:56 PM »
the "roll-off" is 6dB @ 300 htz.  Compare that to the mp-2 that does 6 @ 80 and 160 htz.

Offline Tim

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2004, 12:03:13 AM »
i'm skeptical just looking at the response graph. you'd have to pray for just the right kind of imbalanced sound. i'm curious but not optimistic.

I feel the same way...

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2004, 12:05:11 AM »

I feel the same way...

especially about not knowing anything, right?

ZING

Offline Tim

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2004, 12:05:54 AM »
precisely that ;)

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2004, 12:11:18 AM »
can i call my own zing?

Offline Tim

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2004, 12:23:08 AM »
can i call my own zing?

I think you just did. Must be okay....

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2004, 12:48:34 AM »
fuckin a

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2004, 01:44:11 AM »
I think if you really want super-stealthy cardioids (instead of omnis) for typical taping situations, I think the mini-cardioids from Audio-technica, AKG, Countryman, etc... would probably give better results than these DPA mini cardioids. No personal experience with these other mics, but that response curve for the DPA's looks WAY too bright for our purposes. -6dB @ 600 Hz,   -8dB @ 200Hz  is just not acceptable for taping a concert. I think it is pretty clear from looking at the response curve that these mics are intended specifically for human voice pickup, not recording the wide range of frequencies present in music. Even taking the "far field" response with a grain of salt, if we guess the actual roll off to be just half of this, -4dB rolloff at 200 Hz is still a heck of a lot of rolloff! Of course, just MHO.

Take care,
Ben

PS: The answer to the mini-cardioid problem? DPA 402x!!!     ;)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2004, 04:28:48 PM »
not sure about the low end response but as far as a high frequency boost for vocals that could actually be useful for taping as higher frequencies dissipate at a greater rate than low frequencies. Doug Oade incorporated a switchable high frequency boost into the the m248 for just this reason. The Schoeps V caps and mk5 also incorporate a high frequency boost. I can't speak for these mics specifically but I don't think you should write them off just because of a high frequency boost.

Ok, bit of a thread hijack here:  I always hear about this issue of high frequency dissipation and how it relates to taping, and I'm just not sure I get it.  The way it is discussed seems more useful in regards to taping unampified instruments at a distance, not taping PA stacks.  Afterall, the soundman does not mix the sound for how it comes out of the PA stack (meaning how it sound 1 meter off the stacks).  The sound guy will presumably mix it to sound right where he's listening at the FOH console.  So if you are taping at the soundboard or in the taper section right behind it, the high end should be just about right.  I would only think you'd need that high frequency boost if you were taping significantly behind the soundboard. 

But nobody talks about FOB in relation to this high frequency dissipation.  If the sound guy is mixing so it sounds good at FOH, with the greater high frequency decay, that means the sound coming off the PA stacks is really too bright for what you want, and consequently that there will be too much high frequency emphasis FOB (so that it will have the right balance back by the soundman).  So there would already be too much high frequency emphasis FOB, even without mics that emphasize the high end -- it'd get that much worse FOB if you used the schoeps V caps or other mics with a high end emphasis (eg, neumann SD mics).

Does this sound about right, or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Tim

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2004, 04:39:30 PM »
I'm going to have to think about this one... Todd if you check that Yamaha book I gace you there should be some info about dissipation of high and low frequencies.

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2004, 04:47:30 PM »

Ok, bit of a thread hijack here:  I always hear about this issue of high frequency dissipation and how it relates to taping, and I'm just not sure I get it.  The way it is discussed seems more useful in regards to taping unampified instruments at a distance, not taping PA stacks.  Afterall, the soundman does not mix the sound for how it comes out of the PA stack (meaning how it sound 1 meter off the stacks).  The sound guy will presumably mix it to sound right where he's listening at the FOH console.  So if you are taping at the soundboard or in the taper section right behind it, the high end should be just about right.  I would only think you'd need that high frequency boost if you were taping significantly behind the soundboard. 

But nobody talks about FOB in relation to this high frequency dissipation.  If the sound guy is mixing so it sounds good at FOH, with the greater high frequency decay, that means the sound coming off the PA stacks is really too bright for what you want, and consequently that there will be too much high frequency emphasis FOB (so that it will have the right balance back by the soundman).  So there would already be too much high frequency emphasis FOB, even without mics that emphasize the high end -- it'd get that much worse FOB if you used the schoeps V caps or other mics with a high end emphasis (eg, neumann SD mics).

Does this sound about right, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

This sounds reasonable to me. One thing to consider is that for a conventional PA system, when up FOB you are off axis to the stacks, perhaps as far as 60° (if you are in the equilateral triangle spot). In this spot the HF output of the stacks should be considerably reduced as compared to the on-axis output. So this probably helps in not hearing too much high end when up close.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2004, 05:01:11 PM »
This sounds reasonable to me. One thing to consider is that for a conventional PA system, when up FOB you are off axis to the stacks, perhaps as far as 60° (if you are in the equilateral triangle spot). In this spot the HF output of the stacks should be considerably reduced as compared to the on-axis output. So this probably helps in not hearing too much high end when up close.

Good point Ben, I think you'd be right about the off axis response of the PA.  That effect might counter-balance the effect I'm talking about, so maybe the sound should be fairly well balanced both fob and back towards the soundboard.  It does still seem to say though that the need for a high frequency bump would only be important if you were taping behind the soundboard a bit.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2004, 08:40:38 PM »
i haVE 210>v3 tapes from mid-x and i believe D and I were too FOB, the high freq sux on those tapes and they just dont sound right, hence the equilateral triangle thing

i believe the equilateral triangle is a good suggestion when taping, too far front, sound like crap, too far back, too much chatter/bs :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.134 seconds with 52 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com