Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 2)  (Read 106663 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 2)
« Reply #105 on: March 27, 2015, 10:55:47 PM »
Just finished reading through all the pages of the old thread and noticed several people noting the lack of a per-channel numeric gain indicator and hoping a future firmware upgrade might address this.  I also with it had better metering.  Until a potential future update fixes this, I was wondering if one could use the following workaround to match channel levels:

1. Set levels by eye/ear as close to matching as you can.
2. Temporarily disconnect all mics.
3. Use a cheap XLR tone generator on each channel separately in turn and adjust levels to match.  The ubiquitous Behringer unit comes to mind as it allows you to select the level of the tone.

Does this sound like it would work?  I've considered trying the same thing with the FP24 since it's a bit of a guessing game on its analog gain pots.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2015, 10:58:15 PM »
Does HOLD actually lock EVERYTHING? Or does something stupid like STOP actually stop it? Thanks!

I just tested whether or not HOLD locks down everything and......IT DOES, including the gain settings!  Hitting stop or any other key or any other knob just throws a message to the display telling you that HOLD is on.  Nice!

Beat me to it.  Thanks for taking the time.
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
04/22 Howie Day
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
05/10 Adam Bodine Quartet
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common
06/19 Sensational Barnes Brothers
06/20 Adam Bodine Quintet
07/19 Chali 2na & Cut Chemist
07/30 Tomorrows Bad Seeds

Offline Cheesecadet

« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2015, 10:59:58 PM »
Just finished reading through all the pages of the old thread and noticed several people noting the lack of a per-channel numeric gain indicator and hoping a future firmware upgrade might address this.  I also with it had better metering.  Until a potential future update fixes this, I was wondering if one could use the following workaround to match channel levels:

3. Use a cheap XLR tone generator on each channel separately in turn and adjust levels to match.  The ubiquitous Behringer unit comes to mind as it allows you to select the level of the tone.

Does this sound like it would work?  I've considered trying the same thing with the FP24 since it's a bit of a guessing game on its analog gain pots.

This is another reason I run the M10 as a backup out of my FP24.  Since the Tascam and M10 are both calibrated with the FP24 I get a numerical gain setting from the M10 that also applies to the Tascam.  At least for two of the channels, then I eyeball the other two channels to be close to the aforementioned.  Hopefully that makes sense.
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:

Upcoming:
04/22 Howie Day
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2015, 12:08:26 AM »
Does HOLD actually lock EVERYTHING? Or does something stupid like STOP actually stop it? Thanks!

I just tested whether or not HOLD locks down everything and......IT DOES, including the gain settings!  Hitting stop or any other key or any other knob just throws a message to the display telling you that HOLD is on.  Nice!

That's AWESOME 8) Thanks a lot man!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2015, 12:10:33 AM »

Beat me to it.  Thanks for taking the time.

No, thank YOU for doing the HOLD test for me too 8) Figured other tapers would want to know too!

Offline voltronic

« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2015, 07:05:36 AM »

This is another reason I run the M10 as a backup out of my FP24.  Since the Tascam and M10 are both calibrated with the FP24 I get a numerical gain setting from the M10 that also applies to the Tascam.  At least for two of the channels, then I eyeball the other two channels to be close to the aforementioned.  Hopefully that makes sense.

Yes, it does - thanks.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Rally_AK

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2015, 03:00:54 PM »
Question for other owners out there. Would you use an iPhone or iPad charger to power the 70D if you had access to AC at a show? I have a bunch of them laying around the house and would rather not buy Tascam's $30 power supply if I could make something else work.

DR-70D Requirement (Per manual) - 5V, 5W Max. (1A?)
Tascam Power Supply (PS-P515U) - 5V, 7.5W, 1.5A
iPhone Charger - 5V, 5W, 1A
iPad Charger - 5.1V, 12W, 2.1A
Mics: MBHO 604 KA100LK/200/300 +PFA's | ADK-TL (GK-12d Caps)
Rec: HS-P82 | DR-680mkII | DR-70D | DR-100mkII
Pre: UA5 (w-mod)

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2015, 03:17:21 PM »
Question for other owners out there. Would you use an iPhone or iPad charger to power the 70D if you had access to AC at a show? I have a bunch of them laying around the house and would rather not buy Tascam's $30 power supply if I could make something else work.

DR-70D Requirement (Per manual) - 5V, 5W Max. (1A?)
Tascam Power Supply (PS-P515U) - 5V, 7.5W, 1.5A
iPhone Charger - 5V, 5W, 1A
iPad Charger - 5.1V, 12W, 2.1A

For sure...I think that's what most of us are doing. I've run mine off the 1A line with no issues.

I also have a 1.5 A model - and it works just fine too...

Offline Rally_AK

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2015, 03:54:01 PM »
Thanks LIR!

For my own sanity I'll do a stress test to make sure a standard iPhone charger will power the 70D at full load with 4 LD's cranked up, headphones at 10 and recording all channels at 24/96. I'll report back if the 70D has any hiccups.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 05:11:08 PM by Rally_AK »

Offline Rally_AK

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2015, 01:23:02 PM »
Well the 70D stayed on all night running 4 LD mics and both outputs (headphone/line out) using an iPhone charger but stopped recording about 5 hours in due to a "Write Timeout" error. The manual says "Writing to the SD card timed out" (...whatever that means) and to reformat the SD card.

I was using a brand new, freshly formatted, 128GB SanDisk Ultra SDXC so the card shouldn't be corrupted but I'm not ruling it out. I'll run chkdsk on it to make sure and try out a couple other cards to see if I can replicate the error.

Another weird issue I noticed is that when I had my headphones turned all the way up the limiters added a lot of noise to each channel, even with the mic gain turned all the way down. As soon as I turned the limiters off each channel was silent. I haven't had a chance to see if this noise transferred to the recording but will check tonight. Is it normal for limiters to raise the noise floor?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 02:01:55 PM by Rally_AK »

Offline voltronic

« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2015, 03:54:52 PM »
My unit is now on it's way.  Could owners start compiling a list of recommended settings to be posted in this or a separate thread?  I remember how helpful that was with the Sony PCM-M10, and it can avoid new users like me having to ask the same basic questions that were answered but buried deep in a long thread. 

For example, if it is found by others that the limiter is noisy as Rally_AK has suggested, that can be placed on the "avoid" list.

I also would like to know if anyone with the means is willing to do some real measurements.  The manufacturer specs are really incomplete as several have noted.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Cheesecadet

« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2015, 04:35:20 PM »
I have not come across any liniter noise

Vinyl:

Upcoming:
04/22 Howie Day
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common

Offline voltronic

« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2015, 06:05:29 PM »

I was just using that as an example.  Maybe a better one could be the three different gain level settings - if one is shown to be significantly better than the other, in the way that LOW gain is the preferred setting on the M10.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Cheesecadet

« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2015, 06:31:14 PM »

I was just using that as an example.  Maybe a better one could be the three different gain level settings - if one is shown to be significantly better than the other, in the way that LOW gain is the preferred setting on the M10.

High Gain would likely be too loud for most rock shows in my experience.  I have always used low gain even when not running a pre in front.

Vinyl:

Upcoming:
04/22 Howie Day
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2015, 09:29:09 PM »
My unit is now on it's way.  Could owners start compiling a list of recommended settings to be posted in this or a separate thread?  I remember how helpful that was with the Sony PCM-M10, and it can avoid new users like me having to ask the same basic questions that were answered but buried deep in a long thread. 

For example, if it is found by others that the limiter is noisy as Rally_AK has suggested, that can be placed on the "avoid" list.

I also would like to know if anyone with the means is willing to do some real measurements.  The manufacturer specs are really incomplete as several have noted.

Great idea. I'll be getting one soon too and was wondering if there was a list with preferred tapir settings so that we don't have to dig through a ton of pages or rehash the same questions a million times :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com