Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: RC battery > USB or different battery pack  (Read 3722 times)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
RC battery > USB or different battery pack
« on: February 12, 2014, 02:43:42 PM »
Can you run a 7.2v RC battery with tamiya connector into a cable thats tamiya > USB mini
Of course the USB would be 5v, if its even possible, and power a device

If not can I get recommendations on a battery pack to power a tascam dr-60d
4ch, two are 48v
Specs say it runs 5.4w but all the watts and mah stuff goes over my head
Tia
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 03:12:21 PM by willndmb »
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: RC battery > USB or different battery pack
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 08:12:16 PM »
Just get a USB battery, that way you know your safe. They make pretty high capacity ones. Check out anker for them, I have one and its always worked great. Best not to mess with RC batteries, they ussually run high in voltage. My 9.6 v RC batteries are actually 11.2 v.
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: (3) Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: (2) Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 09:45:11 PM »
Thanks, I see the anger astro3 10k mah for $40
I didn't realize they where so affordable. Others I saw where like 140
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 09:19:38 AM »
FWIW, I've used 7.2V RC batteries successfully to power both a DR100mkii and a DR2D for many hours.  In both cases the recorders ran cool.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 12:37:45 PM »
Other devices may have DC converters right at their input and will be perfectly happy and efficient at 7.2V.  I wouldn't push that though, without clearance from the manufacturer.

Thanks for this comment Jon.  I'd hate it if my earlier feedback gave anyone assurance that they can use a 7.2 only to find that my feedback helped to fry their gear.

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 09:45:10 PM »
i use RC 9.6 volt batts for Nbox battery pack.  4 separate batts.  the nbox batt input makes them run in parallel or concurrenct.  dont seem to need much maintenance.  but i charge them one at a time,  and i usually try and take alittle break between batts as they do tend to heat up.    and i always like to  " break " them in.  charge full.  run an hour or two.  charge full again,  run twice as long.  recharge,  and run down to no less than 10%.  start your trun times on the third charge.  make sure not to drain the battery to zero.  check time at around 10-12 % , recharge fully.  killing a battery when new can make them flacky i alway thought.  plus the 10-12% is your leway time.  say u get 4 hrs 15 min when the batt is at 12%.  so u know after 4 hrs of run time to get ready for a batt change.  but when done charge everything up again,  and run till 10-12%  again.  times will most deff be going up. i did that so when the buyer would recieve the battery pack and need be in a hurry.  its all preped and ready for action.  forget.  think it was 17 to 25 hrs of run time for the 4 rc batts.  light too!
the 7.2's rc batts i used on SD 702.  had a dummy cell with a pigtail with RC batt ends wired in parallel.  with an extra plug for hot swapping,  but they ran for ever.  that were i got the nbox battery ideaish.  the only thing they did shit on was when i tryed to use them in series to make 14.4 volts on a ad/1000.  they dont drain like sealed lead acid, even though the MAHs said different. when they die,  they die.  esp there readings after being used.   like lower than the threshold of not working, because of using them in series.  the apogee would flash at 11.8  and die like at 11.1 volts.  so that made the 7.2 volts  that brings the voltage down on both batts around 5.2-5.3 volts.  don think they normally drop that low before dieing.  was just looking for a diff way to power the ad/1000 with out the lead.  but been using elsewhere when ever im looking for battery power.  easy to charge.  tons of sizes and shapes.  the RC connector works nice and isnt cheesy  and doent need to be soldered,  but i alway do..  but anyway.  they r great options with alittle work.  shopping for the best buys,  and prob making cords or plugs.  but i do that shit any way.  get a mulit meter.  easy to use use.  will be your new best friend.  and save u tons of time.  ed
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com