Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PC Restore to new Hard Drive Question  (Read 2608 times)

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
PC Restore to new Hard Drive Question
« on: April 06, 2014, 02:33:46 AM »
I'm getting a HD failure is eminent message on my old Laptop...so I decided that as much as I dislike Vista...I dislike spending $500 on a new Laptop (cuts into the Slutting it up on Taping funds) and hate WIN8 more...soo

Since it is still running with the old drive.

1. Bought a nice 1Tb SATA Laptop disc drive
2. created the Restore CD ISO image.
3. Made the Backup that the "Crash is EMINENT" scary message asked me to create and have it available on a USB external.

Just to make sure I did this correct I changed the BIOS to select the CD first as boot disc...and did a reboot with the CD Restore ISO Image.

This is where I lose the concept on how to restore everything to the new blank 1Tb drive. When I booted from the CD Restore ISO image it's asking me to re-install Windoze and shows the hard drive as being the source.

If i pull the old drive and put a blank 1Tb drive where am I to select the Windoze Install from? The USB Backup (which is not available in the drives with Operating systems list to choose from) looks like the old Hard Drive broken up into a bunch of DVD/CD sized files.

Should I just throw in the towel now and let a professional do this?

TIA form a PC Hard Drive Replacement noob

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: PC Restore to new Hard Drive Question
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 04:13:28 AM »
Personally I'd start over with a fresh install of the OS.

~ Make a backup of all of your files that you want to save from the bad hard drive.
~ Install the new HD to the laptop.
~ Install a NEW copy of Windows to the new HD.
~ Update Windows/Install Anti-virus software
~ Re-install your programs.
~ Copy your files from your backup drive back to your new HD.

You can easily do this yourself. It takes some time, but in the end it's worth it. You'll probably notice increased performance by doing it this way vs. restoring an ISO.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 06:11:00 PM »
Well...the extraction of Windoze Vista Install disks from the hard drive stalls...looks like I'll have to find a set of Vista Install disks...or find a torrent to download.

::)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 08:45:38 PM »
Ditch Vista - get a copy of Windows 7.  Or Windows 8.1 for that matter - if you are averse to the tile interface, you can now boot straight to desktop mode and then it's pretty similar to windows 7.  I don't understand why you "hate" Windows 8.  I still have 7 on my home computer but I've used 8 on other machines, and it's light years better than Vista.

I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 04:56:16 PM »
Tiles is all I've seen of Win8 good to know you don't have to put up with that crap...Win7 or Win8 would require a upgrade fee & I own a seat of Vista...I'm cheap...I'll pick the brain of our IT person at work...I imagine he has what I need...

Offline candor

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 02:52:43 AM »
I'm getting a HD failure is eminent message on my old Laptop...so I decided that as much as I dislike Vista...I dislike spending $500 on a new Laptop (cuts into the Slutting it up on Taping funds) and hate WIN8 more...soo

Since it is still running with the old drive.

1. Bought a nice 1Tb SATA Laptop disc drive
2. created the Restore CD ISO image.
3. Made the Backup that the "Crash is EMINENT" scary message asked me to create and have it available on a USB external.

Just to make sure I did this correct I changed the BIOS to select the CD first as boot disc...and did a reboot with the CD Restore ISO Image.

This is where I lose the concept on how to restore everything to the new blank 1Tb drive. When I booted from the CD Restore ISO image it's asking me to re-install Windoze and shows the hard drive as being the source.

snip

I just replaced the HD on the computer I'm using now-a recent Dell laptop.  Instead of creating an image I cloned the failing HD onto the new HD using an external enclosure.  The lappy had a seagate HD and I was able to download the disc cloning software from Seagate's site.  Most other manufacturers have similar software available.  This cloned the entire hard drive including Dell's hidden and recovery partitions.  Swapped the hard drive for the clone and booted and worked with no issues. 

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 12:41:36 AM »
So glad I back up my crucial data to external sources. Raw Master recordings go from recorder>PC HDD>2X external drives immediately. I leave the unprocessed material on the local PC until "I get around to it". Once I get around to processing, I copy the files to the externals.

Far from perfect, but at least I back up the masters and have something fun to do when/if I ever retire...

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 12:49:58 AM »
Oh yeah,

by keeping the masters pretty much updated as .wav or .flac I've never had to sweat cross-platform issues. I've flitted between various OS's for 10+ years and have never lost a show other than user error...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com