Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Roland R-05  (Read 22409 times)

Offline jamroom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Roland R-05
« on: October 25, 2013, 07:38:05 AM »
After much seraching, I could not find a specific thread for the Roland R-05 recorder (feel free to correct me though), so I'll start one.

I have been using my R-05 since 2011 and think it's a great little recorder and certainly more sturdy than the R-09 it replaced. However, mine has developed a strange fault. It likes switching itself on and off, intermittently. Sometimes a press of a front panel button will start it up, sometimes it just won't stay off and needs the batteries to be removed. It works fine otherwise and hasn't switched off when the lock is on. Has anyone else come across this strange behaviour? FYI - my unit hasn't been dropped and is well looked after. Firmware is the latest 1.03.

I have been in touch with Roland UK, who did a little troubleshooting by e-mail and have now arranged for the recorder to be picked up by courier, for their engineers to have a look at it. Though it is over two years old, they tell me it is still within the warranty period, which is nice. I'll post any rectification and fault details when I get them.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Re: Roland R-05
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 04:03:22 PM »
That is an odd problem, but at least Roland is handling it and sounds interested in figuring out the issue.

I think the R-05 is a fantastic recorder. I use it constantly, everything is perfectly positioned and it's design is most perfect for the way I set myself up in a low pro situation. The only thing I don't like about it, is that all the writing rubbed off on it and fairly quickly. I used a label maker so I can remember what the switches on the back do as all the writing rubbed off. That said, I never use those switches. I find it's layout very similar to the Tascam DR 2d, and that may be largely because the mic and line inputs are at the top which I prefer. I prefer the lock button of the Roland though, because I do not have to reach around to the back which I do on the Tascam making that one a little less comfortable in a low pro situation.

For me is the best little deck available right now. Constant use has only reinforced that position for me.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 04:11:53 AM »

The only thing I don't like about it, is that all the writing rubbed off on it and fairly quickly. I used a label maker so I can remember what the switches on the back do as all the writing rubbed off. That said, I never use those switches.

Mine still has the writing intact, mainly because I put a piece of tape over the switches to prevent inadvertent operation whilst the recorder was in my pocket. I saw one of the switches out of position after a gig shortly after buying it and decided to tape them up.

I think this recorder has less interest on this board due to the pricing in the US at the time it entered the market. In Europe, it was cheaper than the R09HR and did all I needed it to. It even records in 24/96, though it wasn't long before I decided that 24/48 was sufficient.

It has performed admirably on the 55 gigs I have taped since buying it.

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 11:39:52 PM »

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 11:28:43 AM »
Would you guys recommend this over the Tascam DR-07/05 at a similar price level? I don't have the money to jump up to an M10

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 12:36:21 PM »
While I've never owned either of those Tascam decks, I have handled them and the R-05, to me, seems to be a little better constructed and the layout / controls a bit more intuitive.  I recall seeing some specs comparing the preamps and the R-05 has the edge there, as well.  If I can find the link I'll post it here.  Found. > http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm

As far as comparing the R-05 and Sony M10, aside from the M10's stupendous battery life it's a dead heat between the two decks.  Go for whichever one you can get the better price on.  One thing I don't like about the M10 is that the input level wheel still operates even if you have the button lock on.  Probably not a big deal if you run open, but may be a game changer if you stealth; I've heard a few anecdotes about the levels on the M10 getting moved about as the tapers placed and removed the recorders in and from their pockets. 

FWIW, I purchased an R-05 on sale a few years ago to replace an aging Edirol R-09 and I couldn't be happier.  It's everything I could ask for in a small recorder and a definite leg up on the R-09 series.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 03:24:27 PM by Fried Chicken Boy »

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 02:52:11 PM »
While I've never owned either of those Tascam decks, I have handled them and the R-05, to me, seems to be a little better constructed and the layout / controls a bit more intuitive.  I recall seeing some specs comparing the preamps and the R-05 has the edge there, as well.  If I can find the link I'll post it here. 

As far as comparing the R-05 and Sony M10, aside from the M10's stupendous battery life it's a dead heat between the two decks.  Go for whichever one you can get the better price on.  One thing I don't like about the M10 is that the input level wheel still operates even if you have the button lock on.  Probably not a big deal if you run open, but may be a game changer if you stealth; I've heard a few anecdotes about the levels on the M10 getting moved about as the tapers placed and removed the recorders in and from their pockets. 

FWIW, I purchased an R-05 on sale a few years ago to replace an aging Edirol R-09 and I couldn't be happier.  It's everything I could ask for in a small recorder and a definite leg up on the R-09 series.
Additionally, the Roland runs on SDHC Flash, not the finicky temperamental micro cards the M10 uses. There have been M10 battery door issues and issues with having to compensate for the channels not being exactly balanced. All easy things to get around, but none are issues with the Roland.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 03:21:42 PM »
American price seems pretty good nowadays, $155.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/687099-REG/Roland_R_05_R_05_Portable_24_bit_Digital.html

Insane in the membrane. I recall buying a R-09HR when they first came out at a Best Buy because I needed one immediately for $450. And to think I could now get a Tascam DR-680 for that price. Its a great world we live in.
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 03:59:31 PM »
Just remember that even by Roland's spec the R05 takes a 10db lower input level compared to thr R09HR. It seems the line in is a consumer level rather than pro. There is quite a big price drop going from the R09Hr to the 05 - there must be a good reason for this. I ran the R05 once having run the 09HR for years and noticed the difference immediately.  I think its a great little deck and whilst noise and preamps are probably similar to the M10 I wouldn't use it for stack taping or other very loud situations. YMMV of course.

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 11:19:07 AM »
While I've never owned either of those Tascam decks, I have handled them and the R-05, to me, seems to be a little better constructed and the layout / controls a bit more intuitive.  I recall seeing some specs comparing the preamps and the R-05 has the edge there, as well.  If I can find the link I'll post it here.  Found. > http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm

I looked at that set of tests too. 

I've been very happy with mine for the occasions I need it.  It's gotten considerable use and always done fine.  I sort of regretted not having the Sony for a while but there are enough anecdotal issues around the level set and other accidents/oddities that I don't regret it now.  If I were going to use the mic-in I'd want the Sony for the internal pre-amp. 

LATER EDIT TO ADD: 

Less than a year after this happy review my R-05 developed a fault where the input started dropping out.  It seems the input got loose on the circuit board (not in wiring or the sleeve) despite gentle use.  This seems to be a common issue/design flaw. 

So I didn't get a lot of life from the unit.  I replaced with an M-10, which I do like a lot more than the R-05 for a variety of reasons...  The R-05 is cheaper but also made more cheaply... 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 02:44:39 PM by bombdiggity »
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 02:06:05 PM »
With regard to the fault I posted in the OP.

Roland arranged for the recorder to be picked up by courier (at their cost) on the Monday, though the courier went to the wrong address (either Roland or TNT's fault), so pick up was Tuesday. I got a call from the repair engineer on the Wednesday afternoon to ask a few questions and the unit was shipped back to me on the Thursday, though it was Monday before TNT got it back to me.

The repair engineer couldn't reproduce the fault, which I thought very strange, as the only difference was that I removed the batteries and sd card before shipping. He did ask about the card, but I told him the card had been used for the last nine months and he didn't consider that to be the problem. The repair details stated "replace main and panel pcbs as precaution".

I'm pleased to say that the R05 worked as advertised when I received it back yesterday, after having to re-check all of my settings (factory reset had been performed). I used it last night and it worked fine, with no sign of the fault returning. Roland (UK) certainly provided a really good service under warranty and the support contact answered the phone any time I called him, so a thumbs-up to them then.

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 02:29:51 PM »
thinking about getting an R-05 to replace my R-09HR which seems to have been hit with something and has lines through the screen and a rattle.  Not sure what happened, but might be time to upgrade.

People still like the R-05?
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 04:09:28 PM »
I love the R-05.
I have two of them.

Perfect recorder for stealthing.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 04:11:14 PM »

One of the main reasons I prefer the R-05 over the M10 for stealthing.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 04:40:32 PM »
I too, prefer the R-05 to the M10, because of the wheel mentioned above and the sd card vs mini sd card.
But we are in the distinct minority, the M10 is the much more popular deck around here.
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com