Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What are your thoughts on trimming a recording?  (Read 5057 times)

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
What are your thoughts on trimming a recording?
« on: February 04, 2016, 11:58:33 AM »
I have recently started using Mixcloud to get my recordings out to the public. That process in itself is lossy in that I am converting WAV to MP3. If I consider who is listening to these recordings, I think it is an acceptable trade-off. That said, I am torn by keeping the recording as is vs. trimming the quiet sections between songs. For example, I am working on some stuff from Lockn' right now. The Jefferson Airplane set has a few 70-80 second pauses between songs. Trimming some of that dead air is simple but I'm trying to find a balance between authenticity in the recording and listenability.

Thoughts?
Line Audio CM-3, CM-4, Lewitt
Sound Devices MixPre-6 II |  Tascam DR-70D

Team Line Audio

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Southern Shelter
Re: What are your thoughts on trimming a recording?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 12:09:46 PM »
I do it occasionally, either for excessive dead air that kills the flow of the set (usually a case where I found the downtime annoying at the show itself), or if someone yells something really stupid, really loud, near the mics between songs, and the performer doesn't incorporate it into their own banter, I'll cut that. IMO whatever makes a recording more enjoyable to listen to is fair game.

The exception for me is if I know someone will need my audio for video, I'll leave it intact to save them grief in editing.

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 12:11:48 PM »
I go back and forth on this.  The archivist in me says leave everything in.  The music listener in me says cut out anything that's not a song or stage banter directly relevant to the song.  The musicians I record seem to struggle with the same issue.

The older I get, the more I'm inclined to start cutting out dead space.  I just can't bring myself to do it yet.

The exception for me is if I know someone will need my audio for video, I'll leave it intact to save them grief in editing.

Indeed.
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 12:42:18 PM »
Interesting topic. the guys at Zapateers specifically request NO trimming. they will often combine two sources to make one full show and they want ALL banter or crowd noise.

When i am editing on my own, I generally don't edit spurious crowd noise out; I may reduce the volume on said noise if it isn't during the music. Of course, between the last song and encore I may cut out just for listening sake.

I have a buddy who taped a lot of Panic who would leave his deck on after encore to record the "goodbye music" that the FOH would play. Not sure if he includes that when he processes.

The major reason I might have trimmed some space between tunes was back in the burning shows to CD days in order to get the show to fit. But typically aI would leave the show intact and then using CD Wav would make the "blank audience" it's own track then just not burn that track.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 12:52:13 PM »
I think we are hitting on a point, in particular the archiving function that we perform. I don't consider mixcloud an archiving format, but rather a user (and a non-audiophile) format. Truth is, that's where my audience is right now and that's what I'd like to continue to expand on.

Great responses so far.

Team Line Audio

ilduclo

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 01:08:30 PM »
I'll cut excessively long tuning, long breaks for equipment changes, etc. Also long banter by the musicians.  Steve Albini will go on for 15 minutes!

Online nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 01:23:34 PM »
Given that my favorite band once released a live CD consisting entirely of banter with almost all the music removed, I should probably recuse myself from this conversation.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 01:54:17 PM »
Why go thru the effort???  Can't the listener hit FF to get to the next track???

One person may not want to listen to guitars being tuned or inane banter, but the next person may...  Let the first person hit FF and skip it...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Gunner

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 03:06:33 PM »
Why go thru the effort???  Can't the listener hit FF to get to the next track???

One person may not want to listen to guitars being tuned or inane banter, but the next person may...  Let the first person hit FF and skip it...

Terry

Agreed.

I'm a newbie as a taper, but as a listener and collector I prefer to have a recording as complete as possible, including the long banters, tunning, crowd noise, etc. I can always skip to the next song if I want.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 03:54:22 PM »
Skipping to the next track breaks the illusion to me more than the seamless removal of excessive dead air (I don't mean banter, I don't remove that unless an artist requests). I always aim to please my target audience, which is me  ;D

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 04:51:26 PM »
I try to be as seamless as I can as well and typically fade out/fade in during long breaks i.e.encores

Team Line Audio

Offline nor-cal henry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 07:32:04 PM »
I never trim.  If the dead time/banter is < 45 seconds, I leave it at the end of the preceding song.  If it's > 45 seconds, I make it a separate track titled 'banter.'

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 08:20:10 PM »
I never trim.  If the dead time/banter is < 45 seconds, I leave it at the end of the preceding song.  If it's > 45 seconds, I make it a separate track titled 'banter.'
THIS ^^. I have many shows of talkative artists where tracks are labeled 'banter'!
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 08:51:13 PM »
<snip>If the dead time/banter is < 45 seconds, I leave it at the end of the preceding song.  If it's > 45 seconds, I make it a separate track titled 'banter.'
THIS ^^. I have many shows of talkative artists where tracks are labeled 'banter'!

My guideline is 1:00 minute, and if the banter or tuning runs longer, it gets its own track. 

Also, I'll oftentimes dedicate a track when someone introduces all the band members between songs, even if it runs less than a minute (as long as it's :30 seconds or longer, anyway).  I've got plenty of info files with tracks entitled "intros/banter/tuning," or some iteration of those things.
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Online nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 09:45:04 PM »

I have a show with a track where a member of an especially talkative band remarked, "When someone puts up a recording of this show, this part will be called 'Banter 2.'" (He was right.)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com