Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone Try this yet ????  (Read 3062 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Anyone Try this yet ????
« on: November 25, 2009, 12:45:33 AM »
cheap money.  MOD potential.  Excellent powering options.  Might make for a nice project or even straight up to run condensers into a R9 or whatever.

9v internal
7.5v > 12v dc external input
USB bus
3x powering options.  Sounds good to me.., and it appears very small. 
apparently some sort of A/D built in for its USB output.  Like a stripped down UA5 that does not require a PC host to run stand alone.  Also has balanced TRS outputs though...., that might be where the "junk" in the signal is as its meant to be sent to speakers for monitoring. they prob. have their own cheap-ass gain op-amp in there to double fuck the signal.
perhaps someone who knows what they are looking at more so than I can take a peak into one of these?
I"ll pony up for the guinea pig.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 12:52:23 AM by Nick's Picks »

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
Re: Anyone Try this yet ????
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 11:41:37 AM »
I thought of getting one of those DualPre's to try out as a low cost mic preamp, but then mshilarious started his Naiant littlebox project and I decided to hold off for one of those.

Having gotten a littlebox and run it, and done head-to-head comparisons of the littlebox with the Lunatec V3 and EAA PSP2, I'd say look no further for a low-cost mic preamp -- the littlebox is it.

Granted it is 2.5x the cost of the DualPre, but that is only $125 or so more in absolute terms.  Save your pennies and get the littlebox, you won't be disappointed.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 12:05:31 PM »
I have a Dual Pre.....  picked it up at my local gear shop and used it a handful of times when I was without a pre last year.  Seemed to do fine, I think it has a grounding issue or something though.  I've been using it as a headphone amp running USB out of my lappy.  When connected to USB, it seems buzz when I touch it.  If I don't touch it, then its silent.  Not the greatest amount of gain or anything, but it powers my Busman mics (not sure if it's true P48, although the owner of the shop that I got it from said it is... I think)  Small, powers mics, either dual 1/4" or 1/8" outputs.

I didn't try very hard, but I never did figure out if it can be used as a front end for a lappy via USB.  I know that you can use it to monitor playback on a computer via USB.....  just not sure about the other way around.  I was told that it does not have an ADC..... not sure how that's possible since it has a USB?....  unless the USB is just a DAC.

The front and back plates come off fairly easily, but I didn't pull any of the "guts" out.  That would be sweet if it could be upgraded by a few mods!  It has some purpose for me, so I don't want to "kill" it.....  but if someone can upgrade the chips....... 

If you want to check it out Nick, let me know. 
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 05:28:14 PM »
If I pull the guts out and take some pics, would you be able to determine anything?  If I can't put it back together, will you do it for me?   :P

edit:  mshilarious....  you want to check it out?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 05:45:03 PM by uncleyug »
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 08:15:10 PM »
If I pull the guts out and take some pics, would you be able to determine anything?  If I can't put it back together, will you do it for me?   :P

edit:  mshilarious....  you want to check it out?
Would like to see the guts too.

By the way, I'm also interested in seeing the guts of the Tascam US-122L.  Does anyone have that one?

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com