Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone tried audio mods to UA5  (Read 5570 times)

Offline suntzu420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • The only member of Team OK!!
    • Tool
Re: Anyone tried audio mods to UA5
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2004, 01:26:52 AM »
disregard above post ;), foudn the other thread that Brian Mentions this in!!
Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1 > Sonosax SX-M2 > ?

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2004, 02:01:41 PM »
What else are you switching out besides the op amps?  I would think the power supply, especially the phantom supply warrants some changes.  Do you have some pics of the guts of one, I might give this a try.

Daryan
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Busman Audio

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2004, 02:22:42 PM »
Here are the dissection photos from someones website.
http://he.fi/photo/ua5-dissection/

I will be swapping a lot of the capacitors also to give it a lower noise floor. The power supply caps might be something to change also as there are better caps out there.  Even just going to Black Gate electrolytic capacitors would be better than the panasonics that are currently in the unit.
One big thing of note is that if you are not comfortable with soldering on circuit boards this isn't for you. most everything on the UA5 is SMD which means it is surface mount and not pins. There are no schematics that I have found on the web so you also have to know how the circuits work to have an idea of what to change and what to look for in the replacement parts. You also need a temperature controlled soldering iron which are not cheap.
 Again, when I finish I will post results and photos of what has been done for you DIYers out there.

Busman mics of all kinds>some type of busman modified recorder.

"Just Mod It"

Offline 1st set only

• Needs to get out more...
  • you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2004, 03:33:58 PM »
bump
the show is over go home please.

Offline DirtySouth

• Taperssection Newbie
  • My old green truck is a smoker as well...
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2004, 04:36:04 PM »
More power to ya man.  If I knew more about the process I would probably do the same thing you are doing.  I am interested in knowing how all of this comes out for you too.  I have been researching preamps for a while trying to figure out what I want to buiy.  I am super fresh in the game.  After all of my reading I think that I have decided on the Tmod Oade.  So you can see my concern for how yours turns out.  I'd appreciate any information that you may have about the hows and whys of your project.  Good Luck!!! 8)
funk>>MK012 matching>>UA-5(Oade mod)>>JB3

Duct tape is my homeboy ;)

Offline snoknight

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2005, 12:16:21 AM »
Here are the dissection photos from someones website.
http://he.fi/photo/ua5-dissection/

I will be swapping a lot of the capacitors also to give it a lower noise floor. The power supply caps might be something to change also as there are better caps out there.  Even just going to Black Gate electrolytic capacitors would be better than the panasonics that are currently in the unit.
One big thing of note is that if you are not comfortable with soldering on circuit boards this isn't for you. most everything on the UA5 is SMD which means it is surface mount and not pins. There are no schematics that I have found on the web so you also have to know how the circuits work to have an idea of what to change and what to look for in the replacement parts. You also need a temperature controlled soldering iron which are not cheap.
 Again, when I finish I will post results and photos of what has been done for you DIYers out there.

hows it goin on the opamps and cap selection??
needs to buy a goat...

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2005, 04:29:00 PM »
What else are you switching out besides the op amps?  I would think the power supply, especially the phantom supply warrants some changes.  Do you have some pics of the guts of one, I might give this a try.

Daryan

It's my understanding that Doug swaps out several different op amps at various points in the analog circuitry.
I think Doug also swaps out the 6.8 k ohm phantom power resistors for ones that match better.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com