Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone tried V2>UA-5>D8?  (Read 6188 times)

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • it's recreational
Anyone tried V2>UA-5>D8?
« on: August 26, 2003, 09:26:36 AM »
Gonna tape Blues Traveler tonight & have access to a friend's V2 as well as my P-mod UA-5.  I'm thinking of going TL51>V2 (RCA out)>(RCA in) UA-5>D8.  Has anyone tried this w/ successful results yet & if so, how much gain did you apply to the UA-5 (the knob in the back)?

Also, considering how much gain I have to apply to the UA-5 when running it by itself I was wondering if one might be able to go out of the V2 and into the UA-5 via XLR's instead of the RCA's.  I know that either way it's gonna go through 2 pre's but I thought I'd give it a shot just to check it out for shits and grins.

thanks,
Drew

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
Re:Anyone tried V2>UA-5>D8?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2003, 09:35:04 AM »
Run into the xlr inputs of the UA5 to take advantage of the improved analog circuit of the pmod preamp.  Set the UA5's gain knobs fully closed, all the way counter-clockwise, then adjust your levels with the V2.

I've done V2>stock UA5 a few times.  Once I got the wmod, I found no need to run the V2 with it.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2003, 05:16:43 AM »
Thanks, Craig.  That's how I did it last night.  Sounded pretty good.  I was gonna switch things up at setbreak and run just the UA-5 for a comparison, BUT they played one long set instead of two so I couldn't.  The sound is a little muddy sounding, but I think it's due to the mix coming out of the PA sounding muddy/bassy.

Drew

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2003, 12:29:47 PM »
Thanks, Craig.  That's how I did it last night.  Sounded pretty good.  I was gonna switch things up at setbreak and run just the UA-5 for a comparison, BUT they played one long set instead of two so I couldn't.  The sound is a little muddy sounding, but I think it's due to the mix coming out of the PA sounding muddy/bassy.

Drew

Drew:
I think you're right. My tapes are a bit muddy as well. They just don't jump out at you like some of my other tapes. I do think it was the mix.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2003, 12:30:09 PM »
That's Blues Traveler's sound for ya!  You really have to see them in a good sounding place or the mix is generally pretty horrible.  Up front helps ;)  Got a setlist?

Daryan

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2003, 04:12:49 PM »
That's Blues Traveler's sound for ya!  You really have to see them in a good sounding place or the mix is generally pretty horrible.  Up front helps ;)  Got a setlist?

There's one up on the BT site. There were a lot little teases in there that aren't in the setlist up on the BT site, but I think it's fairly accurate.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com