Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: pops with twisted kc5s?  (Read 3754 times)

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA collection
pops with twisted kc5s?
« on: August 12, 2008, 06:52:00 PM »
I bought my Schoeps set-up used and ran the mics several times without any issues.  Recently I bought "spiral coil wrap" http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062665&cp=&sr=1&origkw=wrap&kw=wrap&parentPage=search for the kc5s to keep them together and more manageable.  After wrapping them up I ran them for the most important weekend of my year (you know where this is going!!) After getting home and listening to my tapes back they were filled with these pops.  (I attached a tiny MP3 of a few seconds.)  I obviously suspected the wrap b/c that was the only thing about my set-up that had changed.  When I was taking the wrap off I noticed the kc5s were twisted together pretty good.  I'm thinking this was the cause of my issue, because since I've taken the wrap off I haven't been able to replicate the pops at home. (Wiggling all connections)  Maybe the combination of being twisted and coiled in my bag...my cell phone?   It was only in the left channel. 

Take a look at the tiny mp3 waveform and see if you can help me out.

Thanks!
Jesse
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • beep boop
Re: pops with twisted kc5s?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 07:46:21 PM »
You bastard. I just re-did mine with that stuff this weekend.  ;)

Can't be the problem here though, right? Seems like a lot of people keep their actives coiled in the bag, I'd bet it would've become pretty obvious by now if that was detrimental. And the wrap is just plastic. I hope that's not it because that stuff is kick ass for keeping those cables tamed.
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 09:39:24 PM »
The good news is that it is only one channel.  Sounds like it may be a different problem, I am guessing.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline brianp

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Shows I've taped on LMA
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 09:47:31 PM »
I can't imagine that wrap stuff would cause that noise. Sounds like you may have left a cable slightly unplugged? I keep all gear connected and ready to roll for the most part to avoid stuff like this, may want to try that? I did notice in Philly you were breaking down your entire rig and reassembling it before and after the show. If the noise was pretty consistent throughout, I would guess a loose connection somewhere in the chain.

And yeah, keep those cell phones far away from active and any cables.
SBD>MR>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 10:25:54 PM »
I don't think it was the wrap itself.. when I put it on the cables got pretty twisted.  That was my concern.

FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 12:59:05 PM »
I don't think it was the wrap itself.. when I put it on the cables got pretty twisted.  That was my concern.

how twisted where they when you took off the spiral wrap? i think even if they were pretty twisted, you would still need to move them to introduce pops.this is my one fear running actives, b/c they are sensitive (especially the ones made for the nbox).

how about the power connection for the v3? were you supplying phantom to the schoeps through the v3? did the pops occur towards the end of a battery cycle? just a thought

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 01:04:40 PM »
how twisted where they when you took off the spiral wrap?

Not that bad, but they were twisted the whole way.  I put the spiral wrap on last night but cut it into sections first.  It went much better this time around.

The only part of my rig I set up is cmc6>kc5>mkx.  My V3 is rack mounted in my bag and everything stays connected.  All the connectors coming out of the V3 are totally isolated and secure.  Must have been the connection between the cmc6's and the kc5s I suppose.  I can't duplicate it at home no matter how hard I try. 

I took your advice though, Brian.  I'm gonna keep the CMC6>KC5s connected all the time.  Do you leave your caps on the kwon bar/mount when not in use? What kind of case do you keep your kc5s in?

+Ts all around.
Jesse
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 01:08:22 PM »
how about the power connection for the v3? were you supplying phantom to the schoeps through the v3? did the pops occur towards the end of a battery cycle? just a thought

Nope, the clip I posted was the PA music before a set began.  Fresh battery.

I can't replicate, so I should forget it.  With each show that goes by my confidence will return.  Good thing Matt had his shit together for Camp!  Need to tape a lot before NYE run.  BTW which ones are you hitting, TJ?

FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 01:13:27 PM »

I can't replicate, so I should forget it.  With each show that goes by my confidence will return.  Good thing Matt had his shit together for Camp!  Need to tape a lot before NYE run.  BTW which ones are you hitting, TJ?

i don't even know yet. i can see myself maybe getting to one or two, but definitely not NYE

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • beep boop
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 01:13:50 PM »
  Good thing Matt had his shit together

This may be the first time anyone has said this. Ever. :lol:
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 09:50:42 PM »

Jesse, I leave my MBHO KA500 caps on my DINa kwonbar at ALL TIMES w/ the larger DPA screens on them to protect them when transporting them. The active stay connected to the caps at all times as well. I donts ee why you couldnt leave EVERYTHING connected and hooked upo at ALL TIMES as well. Just power on the v3 and then power on your recorder ;) Setup/teardowns are MUCH FASTER. And then every 10-15 shows, you can take everything out and make sure its all good and place it all right back in the bag, connected as usual ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com