Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 10-32 to 3.5mm Cable For DPA SMK4060  (Read 17771 times)

Offline gorlando

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: 10-32 to 3.5mm Cable For DPA SMK4060
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 01:15:25 PM »
I found this ad on Ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221200225883?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
If these connectors are reasonable quality, it would be possible to make a cheap adapter cable.
I bought a couple and will see...
Schoeps MK4's ORTF, MK41 & MK8 M-S, DPA 4060's,
Schoeps KCY, Naiant Tinybox II, Self-Made Battery Box for DPA's
Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, M-Audio Microtrack II

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 04:20:55 AM »
Does anyone know where I can get Mogami 2368 cable in Europe?

Or a different brand that is comparable in spec

Offline MIQ

• Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2015, 10:51:33 PM »
I recently found a slightly lower cost source for the 10-32 (micro dot) connectors I used for these adaptor cables.  There is also no minimum order requirements which means you could order just two if you wanted to for about $28 + shipping.

https://storefront.brackemfg.com/storefrontCommerce/itemDetail.do?itm_id=10424&itm_index=0&orderQty=1&cust_item=BM61016&whs_id=1&orderUom=EA

They  have a few other styles that would work too but are a little more expensive.
Miq

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 05:55:13 PM »
I need to make up a few custom multi-channel microdot breakout and extension cables and will probably either have Chris Church make them  (since he recently did a very nice job on a 4 X female dot breakout cable into miniXLR for a custom 4 channel preamp for me).. or I'll order female-dot terminated cables from here- http://www.cdint.com/catalog/category/Cables/10-32+female/to+10-32+female/RG188+low+noise  which are twice the length I need, cut them in half, and re-terminate the cut ends to the multi-pin mini XLR.

Found that source a while ago but have not ordered cables from them yet.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline MIQ

• Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2015, 11:15:17 PM »
Hi Gut,

Please let us know what you think of the quality of these when you order them.  The price looks competitive with the ones already listed considering they are already wired.  Wonder what the coax is like to work with once you cut them up. 

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2015, 08:57:31 AM »
^^ If you order those, I would also be curious to hear about the quality.  I would like to get a pair of extension cables, with male on one end and female on the other; the ones on that site look perfect and are half the price of the DPA versions. Do you think the low-noise version is necessary?  From their description, the regular and flexible ones (considerably less expensive than the low-noise) are good for "hi-fidelity professional audio"...

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2015, 09:54:11 AM »
Do you think the low-noise version is necessary?  From their description, the regular and flexible ones (considerably less expensive than the low-noise) are good for "hi-fidelity professional audio"...

I've no idea, but was wondering the same.  Maybe one of the more electronically astute around here will comment.

That source I linked is primarily focused on supplying lab instrumentation interconnects, where the bandwidth of the signal may be far greater than that of an audio signal.  Pure speculation on my part, but low-noise requirements for some of those kinds of applications may be far more demanding than what we need.  On the other hand, these aren't balanced audio cables, so any additional shielding may be useful. 

But I've very rarely had RF interference problems with any of the miniature DPAs.  That includes using just the integral mic cable, the DPA supplied microdot extension cables (which are rather stiff), or even using two cheap radioshack "mini-jack headphone extension cables" in series to extend the run from a used pair of 4061 I reterminated to a stereo mini-plug.  The problem with that stop-gap "two headphone-extensions" solution has been occasional noise / intermittencies from those in-line mini-jack connections, rather than RF interference.  So I clean them with Caig, re-gaff-tape them as securely together as I can, and do some listen-while-wiggle-jiggle testing before weekend festival outings to head it off, but replacing that run in particular is one of my goals in re-doing this. 

The second, less-critical goal is to bundle the 6 long runs of this into one tech-flexed cable bundle (which should end up not much larger in diameter than a typical balanced mic cable), so that I only have that one bundle going down the mic-stand to 6 PFAs in the recording bag. Or alternately make a short 6-cable fan-out terminating to a multi-pin XLR at the top of the stand, which connects to a single run of cable multi-core cable down to another 6-cable fan-out to the PFAs in the bag.  The same Mogami multi-core cable Len uses for the Tetramic should work nicely, which is very flexible and very small in diameter- not much larger in cross-section than the single DPA cable on each mic.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2015, 12:08:03 PM »
I've no idea, but was wondering the same.  Maybe one of the more electronically astute around here will comment.

That source I linked is primarily focused on supplying lab instrumentation interconnects, where the bandwidth of the signal may be far greater than that of an audio signal.  Pure speculation on my part, but low-noise requirements for some of those kinds of applications may be far more demanding than what we need.

This is what I was thinking. 

If they will ship to Europe, I am going to give these a try.  Now, I just have to figure out which model...

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2016, 10:28:28 PM »
We have a good stock of MicroDot male pigtails, 4 to 6-inches long.
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2016, 09:18:39 AM »
.. or I'll order female-dot terminated cables from here- http://www.cdint.com/catalog/category/Cables/10-32+female/to+10-32+female/RG188+low+noise  which are twice the length I need, cut them in half, and re-terminate the cut ends to the multi-pin mini XLR.

Found that source a while ago but have not ordered cables from them yet.

Finally ordered cables from the source above.  They arrived in 2 days, nicely made.  The cable is easy to work with and I found the center conductor larger and much easier to strip and solder than the integral DPA miniature mic cables.  The female dot ends are nice, eliminating the need for barrel connectors.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=175358.msg2179858#msg2179858

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com