Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 7 pin mods?  (Read 2349 times)

Offline crunchy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My List
7 pin mods?
« on: August 21, 2004, 05:05:24 PM »
Anyone know if a 7 pin coax input cable can be modded to make a 7 pin optical out cable? Any help is appreciated. THanks

-Bob

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: 7 pin mods?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 11:34:16 AM »
Anyone know if a 7 pin coax input cable can be modded to make a 7 pin optical out cable? Any help is appreciated. THanks

-Bob

I have no idea if you can do it, but I'd imagine it would be difficult.  You would need to have some kind of circuit which included an optical transmitter to make it work, and this would need to be built and put inside the very small 7-pin housing.  I think a far easier plan of attack would be to modify an existing sony 7-pin in/out optical cable to include an electrical (coax) input.  Then all the circuitry for the optical out would already be there, and the electrical coax input would just need wires attached directly to the correct pins on the 7 pin (receive and gnd)--no need to develop micro-circuitry.  I've never opened up a 7-pin optical cable, but the electrical 7-pin cables have the pins extended up through the shell casing into the encased circuit board and are fairly accessible.  Doing it this way, you'd just have to rip out the optical input cable and then solder on a RCA coax input cable onto the correct pins.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline crunchy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My List
Re: 7 pin mods?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 10:00:38 PM »
Thanks for the reply

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com