Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advice on improving my recordings w/ sample link  (Read 2215 times)

Offline mmadd29

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've stopped drinking, but only while I'm asleep
Advice on improving my recordings w/ sample link
« on: July 03, 2008, 10:13:47 AM »
Hi all,

I'm looking on some advice on how to make my recordings better, using the knowledge here.  I have included a sample of one of my recordings.

I use the following equipment:
Superlux CM-H8K > Chameleon Kind Kables > UA5 - digi mod > iriver h120

Mic placement is about a 110 deg spread with the left mic pointed at the left stack, and the right mic at the right stack.  there is probably about a foot between the mic caps.

For mastering I'm using Wave Labs with a 3:1 compression, auto limit, a puncher set to hard, and stereo expander set at about 50%

They don't sound bad, and the bands really like them, but I feel there is always room to improve and learn new things.

If anyone could offer any suggestions that would be great.  The clip attached is from a metal band, just to let everyone know.

The sample:  http://maddproductions.net/Music/Track7.mp3
Superlux CM-H8K > UA5 > iriver h120 > Wave Labs > EAC

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
Re: Advice on improving my recordings w/ sample link
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 07:52:36 AM »
I use the following equipment:
Superlux CM-H8K > Chameleon Kind Kables > UA5 - digi mod > iriver h120

Mic placement is about a 110 deg spread with the left mic pointed at the left stack, and the right mic at the right stack.  there is probably about a foot between the mic caps.

I'm just listening to your clip thru the PC speakers, so I can't give any particular critique. Sounds fine to me, but a better sound system might reveal more.

Regarding the hardware, you can always throw in more money, the sky is the only limit there! The first thing I'd do is to ship the UA5 to Busman for his mod. I guess the Superlux is a decent middle-of-the road kit, but if you want to slut, you could upgrade to other mics.

You didn't mention which caps you usually run, and at what height/location you mount your stand.

From your description, I understand that your taping with the band's consent? Why not go for a SB mix, you've got the gear to support it (using the RCA in on the UA5)?!

Regarding post-editing, I leave it for the other pros here. I never worked in Wave Labs, but use the search and you'll get ideas how others do.

Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline mmadd29

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 08:26:57 AM »

Regarding the hardware, you can always throw in more money, the sky is the only limit there! The first thing I'd do is to ship the UA5 to Busman for his mod. I guess the Superlux is a decent middle-of-the road kit, but if you want to slut, you could upgrade to other mics.

Getting a better mod on the UA5 is certainly a choice, but I don't know how much of a difference in sound there is.  If I could hear a clip with and without that might give me some idea.  Is there any way you can explain the difference.  I'm not opposed at throwing money, but just want to know what I spend will make an impact.

You didn't mention which caps you usually run, and at what height/location you mount your stand.

At that club about 10 feet so so...

From your description, I understand that your taping with the band's consent? Why not go for a SB mix, you've got the gear to support it (using the RCA in on the UA5)?!

I do tape with consent, plus I know all the promoters and soundguys.  I have been offered sound board feeds many times, and have thought about it.  The problem I have is that the soundguys mix the show for the room.  So a feed wouldn't be balanced.  Is there a way I could mix the soundboard with my mics?

The problem is nothing is powered so I wouldn't be able to hear the mix, (I think).  If you have any idea's or suggestions on this, I'd love to hear them as I would like to try this.

Thanks

Offline Unitmonster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 06:51:39 PM »

I do tape with consent, plus I know all the promoters and soundguys.  I have been offered sound board feeds many times, and have thought about it.  The problem I have is that the soundguys mix the show for the room.  So a feed wouldn't be balanced.  Is there a way I could mix the soundboard with my mics?

The problem is nothing is powered so I wouldn't be able to hear the mix, (I think).  If you have any idea's or suggestions on this, I'd love to hear them as I would like to try this.

Thanks

2 options: 

1- Mix on the fly (plug both mics and SBD into the UA-5 and mix using the little dial on the back of the unit).  Convenient and straightforward, but once it gets recorded that's it. No changing it really.  In this case you can monitor the recording via your UA5's headphone out.  I've done this many times with fairly good results, though as I say it can sometimes be a crapshoot.

2 - Record 2 sources seperately.  Invest in another all-in-one recorder, plug one deck into the board, run the other with mics, and mix them together afterward wtih your editing software.  Better odds of getting an ideal mix of SBD+AUD since you can play with it at your "mixing desk", but requires the investment of another recorder.  That said, depending on the club/board, you could get a very acceptable mix even with an i-river deck plugged straight in. Of course better equipment may yield better results.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 07:00:35 PM by Unitmonster »
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

Offline mmadd29

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 09:16:18 AM »

2 options: 

1- Mix on the fly (plug both mics and SBD into the UA-5 and mix using the little dial on the back of the unit).  Convenient and straightforward, but once it gets recorded that's it. No changing it really.  In this case you can monitor the recording via your UA5's headphone out.  I've done this many times with fairly good results, though as I say it can sometimes be a crapshoot.

That is what I figured

2 - Record 2 sources seperately.  Invest in another all-in-one recorder, plug one deck into the board, run the other with mics, and mix them together afterward wtih your editing software.  Better odds of getting an ideal mix of SBD+AUD since you can play with it at your "mixing desk", but requires the investment of another recorder.  That said, depending on the club/board, you could get a very acceptable mix even with an i-river deck plugged straight in. Of course better equipment may yield better results.

I do have a second iriver so that could work, in fact I think I'll try that this weekend.  The second iriver will have to do the A/D conversion, so I'll see how it turns out.

Thanks

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com