Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AD-20 problem...need help ASAP  (Read 1423 times)

Offline phishmarisol

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Team MP3 Baby
AD-20 problem...need help ASAP
« on: January 27, 2005, 05:27:25 PM »
I am going from an AD-20 to JB3 via optical cable.  The signal only goes to the JB3 when the cable is help straight up tightly by my hand.  I thought the problem was with the cable so I got a new one and the same thing happens.  I'm trying to tape a show tonight...any help? thanks!

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
Re: AD-20 problem...need help ASAP
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 05:33:39 PM »
The cables may not be inserting into the JB3 properly. Some people have used a Dremel to grind away the plastic around the plug on the JB3. Try doing a search for this if this doesn't make sense. Otherwise, the input on the JB3 may be loose. I haven't experienced this problem, so sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline SparkE!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: AD-20 problem...need help ASAP
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 06:10:41 PM »
I suspect that it is a broken solder joint on the connection between the 1/8" connector and the NJB3 printed circuit board.  In order to repair that, you have to open the NJB3, unsolder the backlight, remove the display from the sheet metal clip that holds it and then remove the screws that hold the board in place.  The solder joints are on the other side of the board from the display.  Once you get it torn down that far, it's pretty easy to reflow the solder joints that go to the 1/8" connector.

While you're there, you could also replace the hard drive with a larger one. ;)  There are lots of threads that talk about replacing the hard drive.  Some of those threads also give advice on how to tear down a NJB3.  Some people think you don't need to remove the display and that you can remove the PC board mounting screws without removing the display.  For no more trouble than it is to remove the display, I don't think it's worth the risk of damaging your display by letting your screwdriver get to friendly with it.  It only takes a couple of minutes to move the display out of the way and then there is no risk of damaging the display.

BTW: there are other threads on here that talk about 1/8" connectors that have broken free of their solder joints.  Bean will probably be on here soon to tell you not to use Superglue to re-attach it. :P  Search for "super glue".  You'll find the other threads pretty easily that way.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com