Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recovering data on external HD  (Read 8834 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Recovering data on external HD
« on: January 07, 2019, 06:04:16 PM »
Think I lost a hard drive. Its a WD 500GB and it shows up under disk drives in Device Manager but not in My PC. When I right click on it and open properties and select volume there's nothing there. :shrug:

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Recovering data on external HD
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 07:54:26 PM »
Think I lost a hard drive. Its a WD 500GB and it shows up under disk drives in Device Manager but not in My PC. When I right click on it and open properties and select volume there's nothing there. :shrug:
It is not at all uncommon for the case to fail, but the drive to be fine. If you can get the same item and swap the drives it MIGHT work?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 09:07:56 PM »
It is not at all uncommon for the case to fail, but the drive to be fine. If you can get the same item and swap the drives it MIGHT work?

What is the model number?  If it is a full-size 3.5 in drive, you might just be able to pop open the case and install it in your PC.

Before you do that, open Disk Management and see if drive and its partitions show up there.  Windows may be seeing that the disk exists, but not be able to mount the partitions.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline ts

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 08:37:09 AM »

What is the model number?  If it is a full-size 3.5 in drive, you might just be able to pop open the case and install it in your PC.

Before you do that, open Disk Management and see if drive and its partitions show up there.  Windows may be seeing that the disk exists, but not be able to mount the partitions.

It’s a full size. I don’t have any PC to install it in. We have Macs, laptops and a Dell all in one.

Online voltronic

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 10:02:41 AM »
Take it to your local computer repair shop and ask for an estimate fee on data recovery.  DO NOT go to Geek Squad.  Ask them to pop it open and see if they can access the drive.

If it's the board in the enclosure that went bad as Morst suggests and the drive is actually OK, it should be pretty cheap.  If the drive itself is bad, then it will likely cost more than you will be willing to pay to recover the data.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline ts

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 10:19:01 AM »
Take it to your local computer repair shop and ask for an estimate fee on data recovery.  DO NOT go to Geek Squad.  Ask them to pop it open and see if they can access the drive.

If it's the board in the enclosure that went bad as Morst suggests and the drive is actually OK, it should be pretty cheap.  If the drive itself is bad, then it will likely cost more than you will be willing to pay to recover the data.

In disk management it shows as disk 2 unknown, not initialized. i'll see what I have in my area for data recovery.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 10:21:07 AM by ts »

Offline buckster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular

Offline ts

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 02:18:43 PM »

This drive is full of master recordings so I would most likely pay to have them recovered if that’s my only option. I’ve been Thinking about getting some SSD’s and start transferring flacs for back up but just haven’t had the time.

Hopefully these other solutions will work. Might try that adapter cable.

Offline GDfan

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 04:08:26 PM »
The ole freezer trick

https://lifehacker.com/5515337/save-a-failed-hard-drive-in-your-freezer-redux

this is like a last ditch effort. can work for platter style hard drives if the platters get stuck together.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 04:14:16 PM by GDfan »
Neumann SKM184 / AKG 568EB > Sound Devices MixPre3
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/CLaPorte

Offline ts

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 05:26:57 PM »
Since this is an external can I put the whole thing in the freezer or do I have to remove the enclosure?

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 01:24:04 AM »
Most of the WD externals have their own weirdo "OS" on them, so you can't just pull a formatted drive from the case and transplant to a PC to save the data.
But I'm really seriously serious about swapping it into a known-good case from the same model. Hard drives are engineered really well. Those cases are cheap junk.

Since this is an external can I put the whole thing in the freezer or do I have to remove the enclosure?

I would not do anything until you have a blank drive to put all the data onto... And another one to back it up onto!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 01:25:44 AM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Online voltronic

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 05:51:12 PM »
I would definitely not do the freezer trick while it is in its enclosure as if it isn't completely sealed, you risk condensation getting in.

I also have never seen this trick actually work.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline ts

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 06:06:51 PM »
I would definitely not do the freezer trick while it is in its enclosure as if it isn't completely sealed, you risk condensation getting in.

Took it to a local PC repair store. They estimated 75 - 125. Gave the OK.

Offline mountaintaper

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 01:57:32 AM »

You know Nicky is Mr. Fixit. Call him.

Offline mountaintaper

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 02:00:16 AM »

Worked for me the one time I had a drive fail 10 or so years ago.  I even left it in the enclosure.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com