Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: In-ear headphone / IEM recommendations  (Read 17428 times)

Offline dlh

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: In-ear headphone / IEM recommendations
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2011, 08:40:15 AM »
ended up getting the Etymotic Research HF5's for $99. mainly b/c of the isolation properties (35-42dbs). for the price, I don't think they can be beat. The cable is kevlar reinforced and they come with a 2yr warranty.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XP8DJC/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002KQ5MAK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0WW8PST8F396W25N9PG0

I have Ety 4B's and use these:
http://www.complyfoam.com/?gclid=CPzNsNaXrKwCFUdn5QodPSc94A
For me, they're more comfortable than any of the supplied tips and still give good isolation.
BTW, I love the 4B's

Dave
480b, 460b, Line Audio CM3, SP LSD2, AT BP4025, SP C4,
MiniMe, MiniMP, AND ANNOUNCING the recent adoption of a Mini-Dac. The little bro's are SO excited  :yahoo:

DR-680, DR-100 MKII, PMD671, fr2LE, MTII

De gustibus non est disputandum.
"It's just this little chromium switch here.  You people are soo superstitious."

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2011, 12:12:08 PM »
ended up getting the Etymotic Research HF5's for $99. mainly b/c of the isolation properties (35-42dbs). for the price, I don't think they can be beat. The cable is kevlar reinforced and they come with a 2yr warranty.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XP8DJC/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002KQ5MAK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0WW8PST8F396W25N9PG0

I have Ety 4B's and use these:
http://www.complyfoam.com/?gclid=CPzNsNaXrKwCFUdn5QodPSc94A
For me, they're more comfortable than any of the supplied tips and still give good isolation.
BTW, I love the 4B's

Dave

thanks for the heads up. I might have to get a set with the earwax filter to protect the tip.

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2011, 09:48:53 PM »

So how do I go about getting some of these custom molded earpieces for my westones?

I went to my local Audiologist, who happened to also be a Westone dealer.  They will make molds of your ear canal.  Then either they can send the molds direct to Westone, or you can probably do it yourself.  You can choose your color or pattern and composition.
They slip right on the IEM like a Comply tip would.
Cost was about $100 when I had mine done.

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2011, 02:12:57 AM »
I've used the copter headphones with Sony 7506 guts and much preffer using westone IemS with comply tips and shop or gun range over ear mufflers if more isolation is required; less klunky, more comfortable, and much better fidelity.  The gun range mufflers allow use with any iems and give you more options for ergonomics, like in a quieter scene, you can remove the mufflers to let your ears breath. I use the westone um1 for gritty stuff and um2s for quieter high dynamic range sources.  Be picking up um3x soon.  Been using westone daily for many years without failure.  Much better solution than the Remote Audio HN-7506 imho.

Best,

John Hartney

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2011, 03:24:33 PM »
A long delayed update:

I decided to skip IEMs and more expensive earphone models -- just too much money for my only occasional, casual, on-the-go use, and based on some comments here and elsewhere I'm a little concerned about the IEM's hard-shell molds, comfort, and fragility.  So I gave the Ultimate Ears 500 a try.  Not too surprisingly, none of the included tips fit my ears.  (I have very narrow ear canals with a particulary sharp bend.)  I looked into Comply tips, but it appears (granted relying on photos only) that they don't make tips small enough for my puny ear canals.  Also, the stock tips (and I assume Comply tips, too) don't slot onto the UE500 very tightly, raising concerns about pulling out the earphone while the tip remains lodged in my ear.  Done that once with the foam tips on my ER-6, and it was a PITA.

So...in the end, I decided to stick with the Etymotic ER-6 since they're compatible with my custom molds (which I also use for concerts with the -15 dB filters).  Etymotic replaced my earphones out of warranty, for free (as they've once done before).  At this point, if they're happy to keep replacing them, I'm happy to keep using them -- the hassle of finding other earphones that fit my ears and/or custom molds is more hassle than the 1-2 yearly replacement.

Thanks for all the recs, everyone -- I do appreciate everyone taking the time to provide feedback, and I'm confident other TSers will find the thread helpful, even though I ultimately went in a different direction than originally planned.

On a related note:  I've been using a Rockboxed iRiver iHP-120 for a portable music player.  I finally got tired of its bulk and picked up a Sansa Clip+.  Damn this thing is small!  With a 32 GB microSD card I have more than enough storage for portable listening, and it sounds pretty darn good.  :coolguy:
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2011, 05:18:22 PM »
..Just FYI, the Westones can take custom molded earpieces instead of the foam tips.  This is more comfortable for most people and provides a little more isolation.  Sometimes I wear mine on the train home and absolutely cannot hear anyone around me!  Very nice at times.

FYI-
Contrary to popular belief, expanding foam earplugs usually provide more isolation than custom-molded plugs due to both their expansion, which maintains a minimal yet even pressure across the entire contact surface while in use, and their flexibility which allows them to better conform to the slightly ever-changing shape of the ear canal.  Isolation is amost entirely about the quality of seal and the depth of it in the ear canal.  The advantage of custom-molded plugs is primarily comfort and ease of insertion, not the highest achievable isolaton.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline YYzepp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2011, 09:07:09 PM »
I've been a pro drummer for 25 years. Obviously one cannot stress enough the importance of ear protection. Those cylinder-shaped foam plugs are the only foam type of plugs I wear. I've tried all the other shapes/styles but they're the best. I had custom Etymotic IEM's made and for a while they were great. The one thing your audiologist might not tell you is if you lose/gain enough body weight the shape of your ear canal changes. When that happens those $$ customs won't provide the best fit any more and you need new molds done. Lately I've been using Surefire EP5 Sonic Defenders for protection. They're reusable, they stay put, 26dB reduction, and they're cheap. I think I paid around $15 for the pair. Highly recommended.
Tony

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2011, 10:54:45 PM »
I finally got tired of its bulk and picked up a Sansa Clip+.  Damn this thing is small!  With a 32 GB microSD card I have more than enough storage for portable listening, and it sounds pretty darn good.  :coolguy:

Brian, do you have your Clip+ rockboxed?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2011, 12:17:19 PM »
Brian, do you have your Clip+ rockboxed?

I just Rockboxed it, but haven't had much opportunity to explore configuration, UI, etc.  I had my old iRiver Rockboxed and the configuration and UI options were much better than stock, so I assume the same will be true with the Clip+.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2012, 09:28:36 PM »
While they are NOT custom molds, I have tried a MILLION in-ear setups, and my favorite are my $25.00 Zune headphones. I just bought another pair of Skull Candy ones last night for $30.00. And while theyre decent sound-wise, but are VERY RUGGED as a whole, they are a great match w/ my iPod Classic and my M10's :) And the cable is flat so it doesnt get all wound up :P :) ;D I want to try the "Beats By Dre" in-ears as well, but cant afford them right now :)

Best of luck in your search Brian ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2012, 09:59:29 PM »
Just happened across this, not recommending but thought it might be of interest here...

Collin's Lab: Custom Fit Earbuds

Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2012, 10:37:37 PM »
Just happened across this, not recommending but thought it might be of interest here...

Collin's Lab: Custom Fit Earbuds

Hmmm, very interesting. Def worth a look :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline EScott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2012, 01:59:47 PM »
I've been a pro drummer for 25 years. Obviously one cannot stress enough the importance of ear protection. Those cylinder-shaped foam plugs are the only foam type of plugs I wear. I've tried all the other shapes/styles but they're the best. I had custom Etymotic IEM's made and for a while they were great. The one thing your audiologist might not tell you is if you lose/gain enough body weight the shape of your ear canal changes. When that happens those $$ customs won't provide the best fit any more and you need new molds done. Lately I've been using Surefire EP5 Sonic Defenders for protection. They're reusable, they stay put, 26dB reduction, and they're cheap. I think I paid around $15 for the pair. Highly recommended.

I'm in the same boat as far being a drummer.  My shure's have now died on me, at least the right channel so my net purchase will be a custom pair from sensaphonics.  Shure's design has changed so my molds are worthless.  I need total isolation as I run a board feed through a mixer to include my click.
"You know the type loud as a motor bike
But wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com