Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50  (Read 113552 times)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Re: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50
« Reply #315 on: December 08, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
Another sale:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,95392.0.html

It's out of stock at Musician's Friend, but maybe you can order now and save some $$$...?

PCM-D50 = $499 - $30 savings, $469 - 15% = $399.64 shipped.

I think that's the best price you'll find if they'll honor it being out of stock.

Better double check that.  The 15% is for your next order, not your current one.  So the deal is actually $469.00.

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #316 on: December 08, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »
I haven't tried to place an order, so I can't say for sure, but here is the verbage from the current deal:

"As a special holiday thank you to our best customers, you are invited to take advantage of this exclusive offer! Save 15% off any single item when you place your order by telephone. Call 800-391-8762 between 12:01am PST December 8 and 11:59pm PST December 9 to pocket 15% savings.

Just call us and say “Save 15” to receive your discount."

Some people are reporting having a hard time using both deals at once though...
so even if you can only use the 15% off, that's still a savings of $75 off the D50.

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #317 on: December 09, 2007, 05:30:25 AM »
I can't comment on the D50 but I've not found much of an issue with the H2 concerning handling noise - but others have reported problems.  Frankly I think it's down to how carefully you handle these devices - once you've got a grip on it, don't change your grip.  Pressing buttons is more or less bound to cause some mechanical noise.  I think I'm right in saying that cardioid mics are more likely to exhibit these problems than omnidirectional ones.

Offline BlackCrowe

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #318 on: December 09, 2007, 12:49:53 PM »
I paid €440 including s&H at SamedayMusic....

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #319 on: December 09, 2007, 05:14:33 PM »
Yesterday I recorded a couple sample tracks using the D50's internal mics...

Here's the yousendit link for one of them:
http://download.yousendit.com/E8E246A23F2AC4E5

Available for 7 days.

Recorded in an empty theater, with a 16/44.1 track being played through a Meyer Sound Labs system at close to concert SPL.  I clamped the D50 to a seat in the sweet spot and positioned the mics at about 110 degrees.  The track was normalized to 100%, and you can just start to hear some hiss from the D50.  Doesn't sound bad at all though.

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spare some change and testify!
« Reply #320 on: December 09, 2007, 06:16:22 PM »
Thank you JMOS!

Any idea where unity gain might be on the PCM-D50?  Anybody seen anything online about unity gain for this puppy?

I recorded some with the internal mics today at church.  Not bad at all for my test either.  Thanks again!

Can't wait to break it in at the Christmas Jam this Saturday!  Yahoooo!!!!
It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe.  Sir Francis Crick

Offline Outrageous

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #321 on: December 09, 2007, 09:10:10 PM »
Another sale:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,95392.0.html

It's out of stock at Musician's Friend, but maybe you can order now and save some $$$...?

"Offer Details:
Order now and earn up to $150 on your next order! When place your order of $150 or more today, you’ll receive a coupon for a cash discount that applies the next time you make a purchase. It's a cool way to get maximum mileage out of your gift dollars or to reward your own sound investment in music! Spend – Reward
$150 – $15
$300 – $35
$500 – $65
$1,000 – $150
Valid on new orders placed online between 12/05/2007 and 12/18/2007.
Coupon will be issued via email on 12/28 (valid email address required at time of order)."

Offline Outrageous

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #322 on: December 10, 2007, 05:23:11 PM »
Yesterday I recorded a couple sample tracks using the D50's internal mics..
Recorded in an empty theater, with a 16/44.1 track being played through a Meyer Sound Labs system at close to concert SPL. 

Thanks for the recording.  I think it sounds good.

Offline Dixter

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #323 on: December 10, 2007, 06:58:13 PM »
Came in from work this afternoon and the post man had delivered the CKL-PCMD50 leather case I ordered from a guy
in Japan on Ebay...      I ordered it about a week ago and it came to Texas without any issue....
So here's the skinny on it....

Its made of leather, the inside is like a dark brown pig skin, it attaches to the D50 with a screw at the
tripod mount.   Very nice and classy design...

As a bonus that I wasn't aware of when I ordered it is that the case has built in magnets so when you open
the case it actually forms into a built in tripod...   it has two settings, one low and the other setting puts the recorder
at a pretty good angle...   maybe 45 degrees or more... the low setting about half of that... 

of course it has a belt loop also....

And two other suprises...   

included in the package is the hand strap that comes with the PCM-D1 recorder....  its a very nice hand strap that serves
two purposes,   one as a hand strap and the other purpose as a cable strain relief when you have the recorder hooked up
to any external devices...  if you'd like to see how it works just goto the Sony web site and download the manual for the
PCM-D1 and it shows how to use the strap for a cable strain relief...  could protect the input/output connectors on the recorder

and finally the last item....  it also comes with a soft pouch...  its just a velvet like material with a draw string at the top....
it'd be good for when you put the recorder into another bag with other items... and just to keep the dust off of the kit.

anyway,  just some more information for your D50.....
I'm very pleased with how the unit is working....   I also placed some MP3 tunes from a couple of CD's on it....   wow it sounds
very clean.... 

here's a pic from the Ebay site of the carry case...  doesn't show the strap or soft pouch though...

Offline Outrageous

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #324 on: December 10, 2007, 10:33:23 PM »
Nice review of the leather case.  Any chance you could post a couple of your own photos to illustrate the features?  Thanks.

Offline Dixter

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #325 on: December 10, 2007, 10:48:30 PM »
Thanks....  I'll try to get some and put them up tomorrow...

Does anyone know what kind of cable I would need to interface with
the optical in/out...

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #326 on: December 11, 2007, 12:11:18 AM »
^^^^
1/8" miniplug S/PDIF optical cable.

Here's one at SP's site, depending on what termination you need on the other end.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spare some change and testify!
« Reply #327 on: December 11, 2007, 08:56:04 AM »
Came in from work this afternoon and the post man had delivered the CKL-PCMD50 leather case I ordered from a guy
in Japan on Ebay...      I ordered it about a week ago and it came to Texas without any issue....
So here's the skinny on it....

here's a pic from the Ebay site of the carry case...  doesn't show the strap or soft pouch though...

Was this from the Buy from Japan seller?  Thanks for posting the additional pictures and the seller info.

I got my Digital I/O module for my Sound Blaster Audigy yesterday.  No problems with 96/24 on the optical input.  It didn't lower down to 16 bit like it did on the signal from the cheap Turtle Beach on my other computer.  So, it seems to be fo' real.  Nice to have a way to digital out again.  Not bad for $14 from Creative on ebay + shipping. 
It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe.  Sir Francis Crick

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #328 on: December 11, 2007, 07:12:15 PM »
I wonder if the D50 can see the 20 bit signal from any of these:

SBM-1
Denecke AD20
GP DMIC 20

Now that would be cool if it did.  Real cool. 

Offline Dixter

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #329 on: December 11, 2007, 08:33:37 PM »
Ok,  here are the pics of the case...  sorry I'm having to post more than once to get all
of the pics up... 

Here's the first one...  shows the case/strap/pouch...    the pouch is made of a material
that is perfect for cleaning the screen/unit...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.139 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com