Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 18000mah Universal battery  (Read 40478 times)

Offline taug

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: 18000mah Universal battery
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2012, 04:23:16 PM »
Just wanted to add my two cents ...  First, thanks to all for the heads-up on this great product.  I received mine today and it looks to be a terrific replacement for my dying DVD battery.  The stock cable fit my V3 and powered it up, but as it seemed to be a slightly wobbly connection, I attached one of the adapter plugs (labelled "C") which provide a more snug fit.

I'll post any more thoughts as I use it.

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2012, 04:41:51 PM »
V3 power plugs are designed to work with a locking switchcraft coaxial connector.  Others may work but it's best to use what is designed for the machine.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2012, 06:23:10 PM »
V3 power plugs are designed to work with a locking switchcraft coaxial connector.  Others may work but it's best to use what is designed for the machine.

That's teds way of telling you he will make you a cable. :)

Offline skotdee

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2012, 09:12:53 AM »
Anybody try one of these with an R-44 yet? Just got mine in the mail, looks like I'll need to use an adaptacable since as I can see there is no way to reverse polarity with the stock cable. Are we still sure the batt input is an "N" tip? Guess I'll find out for sure when I'll take the cable to the shack tomorrow but figured I'd ask here

Edit to add: "N" tip fits the batt input like a glove, Works perfectly set to 12v with the R-44, polarity reversed of course. Haven't tested for run time but based on comments here it should go for hours on end
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 01:47:48 PM by skotdee »

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2012, 05:15:57 PM »
Could I use this to power a DVD battery while the DVD battery is in use? 

I got this to run my 680, but usually I'm plugged into the wall so this goes unused.  However, I often forget to charge the DVD batts for my preamp since they generally last a while, but they were low recently and I had this sitting in the bag, which got me thinking.  Can I just set it 9v and plug it into the DVD battery to keep power flowing?

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2012, 05:52:02 PM »
Get a power cable for the 18000mah battery for your V2 and it with use it for the V2!! 

I got this to run my 680, but usually I'm plugged into the wall so this goes unused.  However, I often forget to charge the DVD batts for my preamp since they generally last a while, but they were low recently and I had this sitting in the bag, which got me thinking.  Can I just set it 9v and plug it into the DVD battery to keep power flowing?
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline achalsey

« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2012, 06:08:34 PM »
I could, but its another custom cable I don't really need.  The two DVDs are more than enough, I just hadn't charged them in weeks and went to Dumpstaphunk, so was wondering if this was an option just in case.  The cable that comes with this battery fits into the DVD battery input, so not knowing anything about batteries was wondering if I could just run them together without damaging anything.

Get a power cable for the 18000mah battery for your V2 and it with use it for the V2!! 

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2012, 06:33:31 PM »
anyone powering  UA5 with  this? what is needed?
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

stevetoney

« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2012, 08:36:58 PM »

No, looks to me like you can't.  I have both a DVD battery and this 18000mah battery, so in order to answer your question, I grabbed both batteries and my multi-meter to test whether it's possible. 

Turns out that when you connect the 18000mah battery (set at the proper recharge voltage, which is 12V), the voltage on the ouput connector drops to 0.3V from the 9.25V that it was reading before anything was connected to the input connector.  Sorry for being the bearer of bad news...

As an FYI, I assume you saw earlier in this thread that this battery comes with a cable that others have verfied works straight up with the DR680...no custom cable needed.

Offline achalsey

« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »

No, looks to me like you can't.  I have both a DVD battery and this 18000mah battery, so in order to answer your question, I grabbed both batteries and my multi-meter to test whether it's possible. 

Turns out that when you connect the 18000mah battery (set at the proper recharge voltage, which is 12V), the voltage on the ouput connector drops to 0.3V from the 9.25V that it was reading before anything was connected to the input connector.  Sorry for being the bearer of bad news...

As an FYI, I assume you saw earlier in this thread that this battery comes with a cable that others have verfied works straight up with the DR680...no custom cable needed.

Very much appreciated!  Thanks for checking that out.

My question was actually about potentially powering my preamp (V2) not the 680.  I didn't make that very clear if you're just skimming it.  The V2 4 pin XLR power input isn't the most universal option in the world.   :P

Offline JimmieC

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2012, 12:13:09 PM »
Just got this battery and cable for my V2 from tgakidis last night.  The cable looks and works great.   The front panel is already coming off the battery though.  Going to to use it to power V2 and deck.  Plenty of empty space in my bag without the SLA battery. Going to get to use them tonight.  I have not done much taping in the last 10 years so was trying to be cheap with the SLA batteries.  Now I don't know why I was carrying those batteries and not that much cheaper.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 12:16:46 PM by JimmieC »
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2012, 02:31:01 AM »
The front panel is already coming off the battery though.

What do you mean by this? I'm thinking about picking one of these up and your comment worries me a little bit....

Offline achalsey

« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2012, 02:53:28 AM »
Well, I've just discovered what I would assume could be a potentially dangerous flaw/malfunction.  Every time I plug in the power cord into the side 18v DC input, it sparks.  Very small, yellow sparks.   :(  It doesn't seem to be a particularly powerful discharge, these isn't any noise, popping or odor, but that definitely shouldn't be happening.

Anyone else experience this?

stevetoney

« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2012, 08:57:40 AM »
Well, I've just discovered what I would assume could be a potentially dangerous flaw/malfunction.  Every time I plug in the power cord into the side 18v DC input, it sparks.  Very small, yellow sparks.   :(  It doesn't seem to be a particularly powerful discharge, these isn't any noise, popping or odor, but that definitely shouldn't be happening.

Anyone else experience this?

I don't think it's an issue.  I think sparking can happen on any device when you plug it in, but it probalby doesn't happen with typical products (hair dryers and such) because the circuit isn't completed when you plug it in.  It's only completed when you flip the switch to start electricity flowing.  Maybe since this is 18V, there's a bigger spark and it's more visible. 

Again, not sure, but I bet if you turned out the lights and plugged in alot of your typical household devices while they're turned on you'd see a spark when you plug it in.

Anyway, just plug your recharger into the battery first and then plug the recharger into the wall outlet second, instead of vice versa.

Offline JimmieC

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2012, 11:41:55 AM »
On both of my batteries the upper left front panel is not glued on as good as the other corners and back plate just fine.  Not a big deal, just pushed it down and kind of stuck on a little more.  Typical Chinese made.  Worked great last night and happy with it so far.

Mine sparked too (kind of a lot) when plugging in the DC with the batter powered on but if turned off no sparks. 
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.137 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com