Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Speaker Wire DIY advice  (Read 3657 times)

Offline Sterling

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Speaker Wire DIY advice
« on: September 26, 2005, 12:10:08 PM »
I want to replace my speaker cables at home and thought I would make some but am unsure of what/where to buy cable. I've seen the home depot post and am not 100% sure about that. Any ideas? Suggestions? Thanks

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Speaker Wire DIY advice
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 01:53:57 PM »
Lowes sells the flat ribbon monster cable. Does well under carpet and such.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 04:49:55 PM »
Try the CAT 5E 350 mHz enhanced wire
Got a great review on audio asylum
My friend made up a set and they sound fantastic

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=100-412
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline Sterling

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 10:35:05 AM »
Try the CAT 5E 350 mHz enhanced wire
Got a great review on audio asylum
My friend made up a set and they sound fantastic

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=100-412

24ga, wow that seems really big, but what do I know. Thanks guys, any other ideas?

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 11:29:36 AM »
Actually, that is probably about the smallest I'd recommend for speaker cables.  With AWG, the smaller the number, the bigger the wire.  I'd say for speaker cables you'd want somewhere in the 12-16 AWG range, maybe 10ga if you're really serious.  Since that CAT5 wire has 4 pairs of wires inside, you'd end up with four 24ga wires per signal, which would be about 17-18ga.  Effectively a little on the small side, but not too bad.

The Home Depot cable and CAT5 cable are the recipes I see the most.  But you might also look into buying bulk speaker wire from name cable manufacturers, such as Cardas, Kimber, Audioquest, and Analysis Plus.  You can find bulk speaker wire at Audioadvisor.com, needledoctor.com, DIYcable.com and ramelectronics.net.  I used the Kimber 4TC for awhile and like it alot.  Ramelectronics also has a variety of spades and banana plugs to use.  You might also look into Canare quad speaker cable such as the 4S11 (huge -- AWG of 11 I think) or 4S8 (AWG of 13).  I used the latter in my home office playback system with good results.  You can get bulk Canare pretty cheap at markertek.com.

Also, I've really been enjoying silver-clad speaker cables in my playback systems.  You might want to check with Nickspicks, I think he bought a bunch of raw silver-clad wire off ebay and might have more than he needs.

If you don't want to go the DIY route, I can certainly make you a pair of my Segue Doghouse silver-clad speaker cables.  But I've also got an 8 foot pair of used Kimber 4VS speaker cables in the yardsale section.  And I haven't listed them yet, but I've got a pair of Canare 48S quad speaker cables I'm going to sell.  (Replaced both the Canare and the Kimber with my silver-clad cables.)  The Canare 4S8 is currently a 15 foot pair, but I might break it up into an 8 foot pair and a 7 foot pair if you're interested in something shorter.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 01:24:04 PM »
i agree with todd, whichever route you go, you want a thick gauge, 12 to 16, with a high strand count.  the home depot way seems like the most economical DIY route.
we all live downstream.

Offline Sterling

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 01:37:52 PM »
Actually, that is probably about the smallest I'd recommend for speaker cables.  With AWG, the smaller the number, the bigger the wire.  I'd say for speaker cables you'd want somewhere in the 12-16 AWG range, maybe 10ga if you're really serious.  Since that CAT5 wire has 4 pairs of wires inside, you'd end up with four 24ga wires per signal, which would be about 17-18ga.  Effectively a little on the small side, but not too bad.

The Home Depot cable and CAT5 cable are the recipes I see the most.  But you might also look into buying bulk speaker wire from name cable manufacturers, such as Cardas, Kimber, Audioquest, and Analysis Plus.  You can find bulk speaker wire at Audioadvisor.com, needledoctor.com, DIYcable.com and ramelectronics.net.  I used the Kimber 4TC for awhile and like it alot.  Ramelectronics also has a variety of spades and banana plugs to use.  You might also look into Canare quad speaker cable such as the 4S11 (huge -- AWG of 11 I think) or 4S8 (AWG of 13).  I used the latter in my home office playback system with good results.  You can get bulk Canare pretty cheap at markertek.com.

Also, I've really been enjoying silver-clad speaker cables in my playback systems.  You might want to check with Nickspicks, I think he bought a bunch of raw silver-clad wire off ebay and might have more than he needs.

If you don't want to go the DIY route, I can certainly make you a pair of my Segue Doghouse silver-clad speaker cables.  But I've also got an 8 foot pair of used Kimber 4VS speaker cables in the yardsale section.  And I haven't listed them yet, but I've got a pair of Canare 48S quad speaker cables I'm going to sell.  (Replaced both the Canare and the Kimber with my silver-clad cables.)  The Canare 4S8 is currently a 15 foot pair, but I might break it up into an 8 foot pair and a 7 foot pair if you're interested in something shorter.

Awesome thanks! This is why I love this board so much, quality information from trusted people. I'm gonna check out some of those sources and get back to ya. Thanks again!

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 05:21:27 PM »
as mentioned...i can set you up w/some silver clad teflon coated 12awg.
:)
i've got more than enough, and i'll sell you what lengths you want cheap.  I paid $40 for 100' of it. 

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 09:45:17 AM »
i found some monster (gasp, i know) speaker wire on clearance at target for $3.78 for 30'.  then also picked up the little pin things for the end for $2.48...  thats pretty cheap.  not the best silver clad way, but for my system (and budget) it worked just fine... and it was a serious upgrade over what i was using...
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com