Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Plug-in/Software to remove ground loop hum?  (Read 2927 times)

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Plug-in/Software to remove ground loop hum?
« on: November 13, 2018, 09:30:05 AM »
I recently recorded Blackberry Smoke in Amsterdam.  The recording turned out quite well, but there is a ground loop hum audible during some of the quieter parts of the second half of the show.  I was wondering if anybody could recommend a plug-in that would help reduce this?  I am using Audition 3, which is pretty long in the tooth, so I would also be amenable to a whole new software package, if needed.  I would prefer not to spend a ton of money, but it doesn't have to be free either.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Plug-in/Software to remove ground loop hum?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 10:20:03 AM »
Izotope RX or Acon Acoustica?

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 08:21:22 PM »
just use any eq with very narrow and deep cuts at 50hz or 60hz as appropriate (along with any relevant harmonics).

Some eq's even have a preset for it, like the new toneboosters v4
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 10:47:55 PM by noahbickart »
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 10:57:49 AM »

iZotope was already on the list, of course, but I had never heard of Acoustica before!  It looks like a pretty nice package; I may spring for it.  Thanks for the recommendation.

just use any eq with very narrow and deep cuts at 50hz or 60hz as appropriate (along with any relevant harmonics).

Some eq's even have a preset for it, like the new toneboosters v4

I already tried to EQ it at 50 Hz (in Europe) with the harmonics, but it didn't work very well for me in my decade (plus) old Audition 3.0.  I also tried a de-noise effect.  That's actually what got me started down this path.  It would be nice to have this as a preset and I figure a lot of other things have also improved.  I will look into toneboosters.     

[Edit to add:]  I assume the screenshot is from toneboosters?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 10:59:33 AM by aaronji »

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 12:34:11 PM »

iZotope was already on the list, of course, but I had never heard of Acoustica before!  It looks like a pretty nice package; I may spring for it.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Acon are actually well regarded for their VST plugins. If memory serves, their "Restoration Suite" (VST plugins without the DAW / spectral editor) is also available separately.

I use Izotope RX6. If you're able to upload just one track which suffers from the ground hum problem I could give it a try to see what you could expect from RX in the best case.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 12:57:00 PM »
I assume the screenshot is from toneboosters?

Yes, I just bought the new v4.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 06:15:38 PM »
^ Thanks for the tip! I downloaded the toneboosters EQ v4 yesterday. Inexpensive, easy to figure out, and lightyears better than the EQs in Audition 3!

I also spent some time checking out Acoustica 7.1. It seems to correspond really well with my needs and the full-featured premium version is reasonably priced. Of note, I spoke with their customer service about a couple of questions and they were responsive and friendly. Specifically, I have a Windows desktop and a Mac laptop; they said I can purchase one license and install the software on both systems. In my experience, that’s pretty rare...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com