Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Talk between songs  (Read 7432 times)

Offline caitjim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Talk between songs
« on: December 13, 2018, 11:56:25 AM »
Hi

I'm new to all this and have what might be a stupid question.

Ive just recorded a show and am very pleased with the sound of the music BUT there was a lot of talking from the artist between songs and this has come out quite quiet. Do I -

- Edit each talking bit separately as an individual track to get the volume right?

- Put up with it and turn the vol up when listening to the talk?

Thanks in advance.

PS If anyone can point me in the direction of a Dummies how to process a live music recording I'd be eternally grateful. I used Ocenaudio for mine and was pleased but I'm not sure I used all of its possibilities.

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Talk between songs
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 12:15:38 PM »
I track out tunes so that the tunes start at the markers and leave the banter/crowd at the end if ever wanted...

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 12:17:19 PM »
You could try parallel compression: https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=137594.0
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 12:21:41 PM »
Just noticed yer new here, caitjim. Welcome! Friendly bunch here. Check your wallet at the door, and have fun!

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 01:56:55 PM »
I track out tunes so that the tunes start at the markers and leave the banter/crowd at the end if ever wanted...

Same here. Some make new tracks for banter, but I like to streamline the setlist with only an extraneous intro track for both sets to capture tuning,etc.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline caitjim

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 02:11:18 PM »
Thanks all. I don't like the idea of tracking out the banter as it was fairly integral to the show - explaining history of the songs etc. Parallel compression sounds like an idea. I'll wait to see if anyone else replies. Thanks all for taking the time to reply and Tim in Jersey for the welcome. U r a friendly lot.

Offline Dan33185

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.midwestsoundsrecordings.com/
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 02:31:40 PM »
It's really up to you, there's no right or wrong way to track banter. I usually leave it at the end of the track and start the next track with the next song. I also amplify the chat a bit as it's usually way lower than the music and can make for a difficult listen.
AUD: Zoom H2
SBD: Tascam DR-60D

Make the best out of the equipment you have, something is better than nothing!

Midwest Sounds Recordings
North Country Sounds

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 02:56:48 PM »
For me, in most cases, if it's over a minute, talking gets its own track. Sometimes I'll do talking tracks as short as 30 seconds if it really has nothing to do with either song. I make no effort to change volume level for talking parts. People have a knob.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 03:21:40 PM »
I basically do that. 

If the talk is about the following song, I'll place the marker for that song at the beginning of the relevant talk about it (which could be anywhere in the 'tween-song banter after the last song).  If the talk about it goes longer than 15-20 seconds, I place another marker at the start of the song and label the banter about it "intro to song_" forming its own track.  It's a subjective call.  But that way listeners can skip ahead to the music and/or choose not play the "intro to_" tracks at all.

Whether or not I modify loudness depends on how extreme the difference is an how much effort I'm putting into the whole thing.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline caitjim

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 02:25:19 PM »
*** Ive just downloaded Ocenaudio and have split the show into individual tracks of either music or intros and then boosted the volume in the spoken tracks, put everything back together and am very pleased with the outcome.
Is there a really easy splitter to use that can split the long MP3 into individual tracks? Ocenaduio does it but there is probably a simpler means.
Thanks for all your advice.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 04:02:31 PM »
*** Ive just downloaded Ocenaudio and have split the show into individual tracks of either music or intros and then boosted the volume in the spoken tracks, put everything back together and am very pleased with the outcome.
Is there a really easy splitter to use that can split the long MP3 into individual tracks? Ocenaduio does it but there is probably a simpler means.

CD Wave. Technically it cost $15, but you can use it forever for free.

Also...you probably should record in the WAV format if your recorder has that option. The file will be bigger, but it should sound better. If you have the option for 24 bit WAV you can set your levels a little more conservatively to make sure you don't clip the recording. 24 bit has a lower noise floor so when you amplify in post it won't get too noisy.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2018, 04:15:22 PM »
You can do that in Audacity. It's free, open source, and cross platform for linux, pc or mac.
https://www.audacityteam.org/download/

I'd import the master file(s), and use the "Envelope" tool to fix levels. (F5). I use "add label" (control-B, or command-B on mac) for each marker, and then export multiple files (of whatever format you need) based on the labels, with leading numbers to keep them in order.

https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 02:53:32 AM »
I'd import the master file(s), and use the "Envelope" tool to fix levels. (F5). I use "add label" (control-B, or command-B on mac) for each marker, and then export multiple files (of whatever format you need) based on the labels, with leading numbers to keep them in order.

Exactly my workflow.

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 09:42:47 AM »
Envelope is my method, too. Reinstalled cool edit pro on new pc and it won’t store my presets, though...fuck....

Regarding banter, it’s something I’m not real fond of...I do cut it entirely sometimes if too long...or at least make into separate tracks...for instance Shellac always has looooong q&a sessions and/or stories from Steve Albini.....just STFU and play, grampy

:banging head:

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2018, 11:05:50 AM »
I use "add label" (control-B, or command-B on mac) for each marker, and then export multiple files (of whatever format you need) based on the labels, with leading numbers to keep them in order.

This blew my mind.  All this time I've been selecting where I want the track break, then selecting everything after that point, cutting it, pasting it, and then aligning with the end of the previous track.  You just saved me several clicks per track  :coolguy:
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com