Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mics making weird Buzzing noise HELP!!  (Read 6576 times)

Offline Md2545

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I am not a number I am a free man!!!
Mics making weird Buzzing noise HELP!!
« on: March 05, 2007, 12:37:31 PM »
I'm using sonic studios DSM-6/m>pa-6>d100. Lately on my recordings I have this buzzing noise, sounds like a bad amp but I tape nothing but Jazz 8) and the noise is on there when a amp isn't in use. I looked at the Sonic Studios web site and they suggested that it might be a dirty jack, I've cleaned and cleaned again and still nothing helps. I set up my mics at home to check everything out, if I'm standing still I can't hear the buzz but as I walked around my house I picked up a few spots where it would start to happen...Can mics feedback off themselves. I have the mics somewhat close together and I'm thinking that might be the case. I mount them in a hat and as I was walking around I noticed that when I went near this one glass cabinet the closer I put my hat to the glass the more buzz came through. Either bad mics or the spirits in this house were trying to tell me something. I'm very grateful for any help/advice!

HELP!! SECRET CHIEFS 3 ARE ON SAT I GOTTA GET THESE THINGS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MD
DSM-6S/M>PA-6>Sony PCM D50 or Sony TCD-D100

DPA 4060 > Core-Sound B.Box > Sony PCM-D50

Offline Md2545

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Mics making weird Buzzing noise HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 12:40:27 PM »
Here's the buzz

Offline Md2545

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 12:45:14 PM »
One more example.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 12:46:48 PM »
I'm using sonic studios DSM-6/m>pa-6>d100. Lately on my recordings I have this buzzing noise, sounds like a bad amp but I tape nothing but Jazz 8) and the noise is on there when a amp isn't in use. I looked at the Sonic Studios web site and they suggested that it might be a dirty jack, I've cleaned and cleaned again and still nothing helps. I set up my mics at home to check everything out, if I'm standing still I can't hear the buzz but as I walked around my house I picked up a few spots where it would start to happen...Can mics feedback off themselves. I have the mics somewhat close together and I'm thinking that might be the case. I mount them in a hat and as I was walking around I noticed that when I went near this one glass cabinet the closer I put my hat to the glass the more buzz came through. Either bad mics or the spirits in this house were trying to tell me something. I'm very grateful for any help/advice!

HELP!! SECRET CHIEFS 3 ARE ON SAT I GOTTA GET THESE THINGS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MD

Sounds like a bad ground. Have you checked your recorder and the rest of the signal chain? Or are you just assuming its the mics. It sounds like something after the mic gain stage not before because its not loud. I would call Sonic Studio's up and talk to Guy. I am sure he can get you to try a few things over the phone to eliminate other possibilities but to me it does not sound like mics it sounds like something after your mic preamp. It could be the preamp it self in the last output stage somewhere. But I doubt its your mics because if it was it would be loud. Although there are always exceptions that's my best guess.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 01:11:45 PM »

MD

Capsules have diaphragm-to-inside capsule press-fit mechanical common ground connection that can get compromised from contaminate moisture driven oxidation. 

Giving the capsule a rolling-marble-like gentle squeeze on the sides with thumb/index finger(not touching foam windscreen) while listening on phones will determine which capsule is a problem (you'll hear hum increase with hand proximity), and help to reestablish the diaphragm ground contact for a few hours/days/months, or until you can send in here for refurbishing service.

See page: www.sonicstudios.com/dsm.htm#service
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com