Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windows 10 corrupting audio files imported from external media!!  (Read 8522 times)

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Essential reading if you record stuff to cards then transfer to Windows 10 PC -

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/transferring-wav-audio-files/50bbf42f-84a7-44b9-ab57-8784b5606d09?msgId=f1d49ae7-d869-49a5-baa4-82582882e9bf&page=1&tm=1439475866788

This seems to particularly affect CF cards, but under the circumstances it might be wise to do a mock short recording and transfer before you record something important and discover that W10 has screwed it in the card.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Windows 10 corrupting audio files imported from external media!!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 11:26:00 AM »
Thank you for the caution. 

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 12:14:59 PM »
thanks, sounds awful. Hope microsoft will fix this asap.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 12:37:27 PM »
Thanks for the warn. W10 seemed almost faultless until I read this - huge bummer. I hope they get it solved, it's sad so many users are being screwed by such a poorly written tool.
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 03:01:55 PM »
Found this through the original WIN10 thread. THANKS for the ups since this is what I would be doing at some point.    :-\
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 02:23:07 PM »
This is a pretty serious handicap for Win10.  Thanks for the heads up, marking thread.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 04:42:49 PM »
I recently transferred 2 ARU shows from my D100 on to my PC using windows 10 without and issue.  Also did all the processing using a windows 10 machine. 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 > Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 05:34:59 PM »
If you transferred D100>W10 then this issue does not affect you. Glad you could transfer successfully but for some folks, me included, a USB card reader is much faster than a direct USB connection to the recorder. According to the microsoft forum thread linked in the OP it only affects files transferred using an external card reader connected via USB. <and on boxes that had W10 installed as an upgrade, not a clean install >
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 05:44:09 PM by flipp »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 10:14:22 AM »
A guy from Microsoft posted in the GS version of this thread asking for anyone experiencing this problem to let him know, as they are working on it but can't reproduce it themselves.  Here's the link to that thread - https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-acoustic-music-location-recording/1024804-windows-10-corrupting-audio-files.html#post11265254 - hopefully anyone here who encounters the problem will get in touch with him.

stevetoney

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 11:56:24 AM »
Until I read that this has been addressed, I'm not installing W10.  Too catastrophic to even risk even though I transfer files directly from my recorder cause I don't really like pulling the card out.  It's a minor phobia I have that the more I handle the card the more of a chance I have of something happening to shorten the life of it.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 05:30:15 PM »
Can I laugh now!  :P
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline voltronic

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 09:53:49 PM »
Until I read that this has been addressed, I'm not installing W10.  Too catastrophic to even risk even though I transfer files directly from my recorder cause I don't really like pulling the card out.  It's a minor phobia I have that the more I handle the card the more of a chance I have of something happening to shorten the life of it.

Agreed - best to wait and see how / when this resolved.

The moral of the story: Let other people be the early adopters (AKA paying public beta testers).  I see the same thing with my Apple-fanatic friends who always pre-order the latest iPhone, then after they get it are left with a problematic device until updates / patches are released.

Second bit of advice from my days as a PC repair tech: You are always better off with a clean install for major OS upgrades, preferably after wiping your system partition and starting fresh.  This is very old advice, but it bears repeating.

I'm not sure if market pressure makes tech companies release to market before they're fully finished, or problems like the one we're talking about in this thread simply don't crop up until after there is already a mass distribution of the product with a diverse user base.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 05:21:14 PM »
I was unaware of this. I upgraded my beater laptop to W10 last week for shits and giggles. Next day I see the privacy warnings and now this.

I transferred my ARU show Saturday night to it and then USB Stick > to my main PC and haven't heard anything. I did M/S decoding so if it did anything to it should be pretty easily detected.

I have to say it was the easiest windows upgrade i have ever done. So on that side they seem to do a good job. Windows 7 Pro > W10 and all my programs seemed to work.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 08:56:27 PM »
There are ongoing developments reported directly by MS in that thread at https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-acoustic-music-location-recording/1024804-windows-10-corrupting-audio-files.html worth keeping an eye on.  This is starting to look like and exclusively Sound Devices related problem.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 11:39:19 PM »
Cause has been found (at least the main cause*) and it seems to be a combination of a change MS made when they implemented EFS (encrypted file system) in W10 and the way Sound Devices products write files that interferes with that change MS made. Latest word from the MS engineer posting in both the gearslutz and MS threads is that a patch is being worked on and will be introduced "as quickly as possible".

* so far the only reports of file inaccessability and/or corruption are from Sound Devices products so if you have encountered the problem on a file written by a different device please let the MS engineer know - his contact info is in both threads

note the MS thread linked in the OP seems to have more, and more current, info on the issue
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 11:51:13 PM by flipp »

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2015, 10:32:42 AM »
Cause has been found (at least the main cause*) and it seems to be a combination of a change MS made when they implemented EFS (encrypted file system) in W10 and the way Sound Devices products write files that interferes with that change MS made. Latest word from the MS engineer posting in both the gearslutz and MS threads is that a patch is being worked on and will be introduced "as quickly as possible".

* so far the only reports of file inaccessability and/or corruption are from Sound Devices products so if you have encountered the problem on a file written by a different device please let the MS engineer know - his contact info is in both threads

note the MS thread linked in the OP seems to have more, and more current, info on the issue

Yes, it seems that Sound Devices was writing a Microsoft exclusive bit as "1", when it should have been "0".

Microsoft never used this bit in the past, so there was no problem - in W10, they use the bit as "1" to denote an encrypted file - which is where all the problems started.

Sound devices now have all the info, so they can correct the problem at their end.

Microsoft is working on a fix at their end and there should be a W10 update shortly.

They are also working on a fix that - after the W10 update comes out - will enable people with corrupted files to correct them.

Hats off to both SD and MS for getting to the bottom of this so quickly.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 02:21:51 PM by John Willett »

Offline voltronic

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2015, 10:38:45 AM »

Yes, it seems that Sound Devices was writing a Microsoft exclusive bit as "1", when it should have been "0".

Microsoft never used this bit in the past, so there was no problem - in W10, they use the bit as "1" to denote an eccrypted file - which is where all the problems started.

Sound devices now have all the info, so they can correct the problem at their end.

Microsoft is working on a fix at their end and there should be a W10 update shortly.

They are also working on a fix that - after the W10 update comes out - will enable people with corrupted files to correct them.

Hats off to both SD and MS for getting to the bottom of this so quickly.

I've been following the GS thread, and it's very encouraging that both companies solved this in the way they did.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2015, 06:29:40 AM »
Indeed, good to see a fix in the works, but there's nothing that attracts attention so quickly as multiple people losing user data!

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2015, 04:01:36 PM »
Ozpeter, HUGE thanks for posting this, and thanks as well to other folks who've filled in other essential information.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline voltronic

- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com