Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 6)  (Read 94467 times)

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 6)
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2015, 07:19:57 PM »
Are you saying that for effect or did it actually do something to damage the camera?
Line Audio CM-3, CM-4, Lewitt
Sound Devices MixPre-6 II |  Tascam DR-70D

Team Line Audio

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 07:22:04 PM »
Are you saying that for effect or did it actually do something to damage the camera?

For effect...for now.

I need to get another card for the camera...not sure what's happening.

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 07:52:26 PM »

For effect...for now.

My second LEXAR card was last used October 23 running the internals for a few sets at a house party - those sets are fine.

Today - I transferred them. Deleted them from the card - popped the card in my camera. It didn't ask me to format. From the menus - I formatted.

The shots seemed to happen - but there are no pictures saved.

Later taking a look at the card - The TASCAM folders and sys file were still there - survived the camera "format"

Next I loaded the card on my computer - deleted the TASCAM folders, and did a full format...after seeming to run the routine normally - but then "windows could not finish formatting." message.

Encouraging - more likely my card is screwed, and not my camera.

In summary - here we have card that has performed flawlessly in the TASCAM - but now fails when attempting to use the card in another device.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 07:57:20 PM by Life In Rewind »

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 08:05:12 PM »
OK now that I've posted that, I am going to bring up the next major problem I am having with this recorder. It looks like Gustav Mahler, and it's called Voltronic.

You are really pushing it with me, trying to limit my freedom of expression, and I will not soon forget this.

Why are you still on this thread, anyway?  You're not contributing anything helpful to the discussion.  Instead, you jump on here every time someone brings up an issue and call for product recalls or a grand inquisition.  Since the Tascam rep isn't here anymore to read those, what's the point, other than your own self-gratification?  You know full well that the things you're asking for have zero chance of ever happening.  I get the need to vent your frustration, but it's really starting to get old and tired - someone please change the record.  Some of us here want to actually talk about using this unit, and to help each other figure things out even when we have had some very serious disagreements (such as Tonedeaf and myself).  If you aren't even using the 70D anymore, maybe it's time to move on.

I am not using the DR-70D much anymore because that recorder, and this thread are bumming me out a lot! It's hard to even want to try to make a recording with the piece of junk, when I KNOW that I need to run it as the B-unit due to its lack of reliability. But, that said, do I not have a right to participate in a discussion? Even inject my opinions which are different from yours? No?

I will not "MOVE ON" - especially now that it was suggested by the insufferable Gus.

Deal with me.

That post was written in anger in frustration, and I may have gone too far.  I also recognize that I committed a cardinal Internet sin of feeding the trolls (be they perceived or real).  So I had your angry response coming, I suppose.

I can deal with complaints.  In spite of what Tonedeaf says, I'm not in love with Tascam - in fact my opinion of them as a company has been steadily dropping based on their complete non-responsiveness to my customer service inquiries over the course of several months, and I've let them know about it (though I'm still apparently being ignored).

I've checked out your "Gripe" thread, and think that's probably a good outlet.  If even half of the things I'm reading there are true, then Tascam really does have quite the track record of crap, and I probably would not have not bought a 70D had I known about all of that.

But what I can't deal with, and what pushed me over the edge to say what I said, was the continued celebration that we lost a valuable resource in the form of a company rep contributing here because some members here were rude enough to him to make him want to leave.  Again, I think he should have stuck around and defended himself / his company, and told him as much privately.  But, thin-skinned or not, Tom was a way for us to finally get some specific answers (even if you didn't like what they were) and I was really PO'd when he left.  So when you guys started with the "good riddance", "product recalls", etc. stuff again, I got really annoyed with all of the mindless repetition of it all and that's why I wrote what I did.

I wasn't trying to limit your freedom of expression, but if that's how you feel, then I'm sorry.  I'll do my part and stop responding when you or anyone else posts a complaint unless I have something helpful or productive to say.

But please leave poor Gustav out of this.  He wrote some great music, and had to deal with a pretty rough personal life.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

mfrench

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2015, 08:16:29 PM »
This mightn't belong in this thread,... but since it was posted here, here is my question.
I d/l'd the official SD-Card formatter.  I tried to operate it out of curiosity.  I've received multiple windows that suggest that I need to unlock the cards write protect tab.  I don;t use them, and both cards that I've tried have not been locked; one was from the DR70d, and the other from my Edirol R09.
My OS is Mac Yosemite 10.10.5
Am I missing something in the basic Mac setup with the SD prog that isn't allowing it to function?

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2015, 08:17:09 PM »

For effect...for now.

My second LEXAR card was last used October 23 running the internals for a few sets at a house party - those sets are fine.

Today - I transferred them. Deleted them from the card - popped the card in my camera. It didn't ask me to format. From the menus - I formatted.

The shots seemed to happen - but there are no pictures saved.

Later taking a look at the card - The TASCAM folders and sys file were still there - survived the camera "format"

Next I loaded the card on my computer - deleted the TASCAM folders, and did a full format...after seeming to run the routine normally - but then "windows could not finish formatting." message.

Encouraging - more likely my card is screwed, and not my camera.

In summary - here we have card that has performed flawlessly in the TASCAM - but now fails when attempting to use the card in another device.

I did some searching on that error message, and it seems that the actual partitions on your card may have either been borked or the first one somehow got deleted.  If that's the case, formatting is not going to work.

This sounds like it could help: http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/SD_card_partitioning

EDIT: You can also do this without going third-party: http://workshop.botter.ventures/2013/09/17/how-to-partition-an-sd-cardflash-drive-with-diskpart-on-windows/
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 08:21:47 PM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2015, 11:46:37 PM »
Thanks, I will also try to avoid responding with knee-jerk anger, and endeavor to keep this thread a valuable resource.

From now on, I'll just associate Ol' Gus with an ineffectual product rep, and leave it at that.

I wasn't trying to limit your freedom of expression, but if that's how you feel, then I'm sorry.  I'll do my part and stop responding when you or anyone else posts a complaint unless I have something helpful or productive to say.

But please leave poor Gustav out of this.  He wrote some great music, and had to deal with a pretty rough personal life.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2015, 06:26:59 AM »
But what I can't deal with, and what pushed me over the edge to say what I said, was the continued celebration that we lost a valuable resource in the form of a company rep contributing here because some members here were rude enough to him to make him want to leave.  Again, I think he should have stuck around and defended himself / his company, and told him as much privately.  But, thin-skinned or not, Tom was a way for us to finally get some specific answers (even if you didn't like what they were) and I was really PO'd when he left.  So when you guys started with the "good riddance", "product recalls", etc. stuff again, I got really annoyed with all of the mindless repetition of it all and that's why I wrote what I did.

A "valuable resource" makes an actual contribution.  Tom's posts were so defensive and obviously, verifiably, B.S. as to be insulting.  All you need to do to confirm this is look at the number of pages in this thread dealing with the technical details of SD cards.  SD cards are a mature technology that every other company seems to be able to implement without too many problems.  "Recording audio to SD cards is difficult!"  Ridiculous...

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2015, 06:35:47 AM »

A "valuable resource" makes an actual contribution.  Tom's posts were so defensive and obviously, verifiably, B.S. as to be insulting.  All you need to do to confirm this is look at the number of pages in this thread dealing with the technical details of SD cards.  SD cards are a mature technology that every other company seems to be able to implement without too many problems.  "Recording audio to SD cards is difficult!"  Ridiculous...

He was dismissive if not outright condescending toward our concerns about the cards...and wasn't professional enough to ignore the more pendantic hardliners.

Then it turned out...they didn't even have the right list on their website!!!

And then they tried to make it seem like they were doing us a favor by figuring out what recorder that list actually was for...which voltronic eagerly reported here...what a relief!!!

Offline JiB97

• Trade Count: (12)
    • My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2015, 11:18:19 AM »
Morst, as always, thanks for the laughs. " i will not soon forget this" was my favourite line of yours. And who can forget your BBB complaint?  Keep 'em coming!!
AKG ck3/ck8 | c460b  + Naiant Actives | PFAs
Audio Technica u853r (omnis/mini-guns)
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2015, 11:48:29 AM »
IMO, it may have been a mistake for him to bail because the level of resentment appears to be growing. An apology or at least a simple, "I understand your concerns" or "let me try to help you" would have gone a long way towards heading this off.   "I'm out of here" is not a good customer relations strategy. 

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2015, 12:38:46 PM »
Another flawless 4 channel recording last night, perhaps I haven't had any problems because I'm using an approved card?

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=583704
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline jbosco

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2015, 01:21:51 PM »
IMO, it may have been a mistake for him to bail because the level of resentment appears to be growing. An apology or at least a simple, "I understand your concerns" or "let me try to help you" would have gone a long way towards heading this off.   "I'm out of here" is not a good customer relations strategy.

I had a few communications with him however I can't seem to find them now, from what I recall when things started to get crazy here he was told to no longer communicate with this Forum, I think it had something to do with the threat of a lawsuit.
---
Neumann KM 184 -> Tascam DR 70D
DPA 4061 -> Sony M10

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2015, 01:22:07 PM »
Another flawless 4 channel recording last night, perhaps I haven't had any problems because I'm using an approved card?

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=583704

Awesome for you...I've had mine for a year - until October 6 2015...there were no approved cards!!!

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2015, 01:49:23 PM »

I would like to point out, especially to the people here who may be newer, that compared to the history of TS.com the conduct in this thread has been completely civil. No one did anything remotely out of the norm, especially for an internet forum and double especially for TS.com, that should have made a product rep bail out.

Back in the day you should have seen some of the pile-ons we had around here. Anyone remeber the MGoldy "shove your mics up your ass" incident? Most of that stuff went the way of Team Dirty South when they defected and at least the forum has a almost SFW vibe to it now. I do miss Sally tho! :wink2:

I said it then and now - tomuo the Tascam rep bailed because his leadership saw a huge potential backlash coming from the problems with this deck and told him to get out to protect their own asses.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com