Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Great Matrix Machine  (Read 2738 times)

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: Great Matrix Machine
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 09:22:37 AM »
I'll chime in here since no one has so far.
1] The Fostex brand, which I do not prefer, but understand they are OK for their price point.
2] Three channel recording devices, especially for audio only seem to me to be a bit "behind the times", especially with the Roland R44, Zoom H4 and H8, SD788, Tascam DR680 i.e. the many 4,6, and 8 channel recorders out there. (edit to point downthread to Gutbucket's comment on three mic configs being worthy of a try at least- and to further his point about the Fostex being 3 channels in but 2 record tracks)
3] I see they have an SLR mounted on top of the DC-R302 which implies they are selling this for use by videographers. Also implied, is that you would do a 2 channel audience audio with a single mono SBD channel as this is probably the method which meshes best doing SLR video for audio. Aside from the fact that most club or small venue SBD's probably don't reproduce stereo well, and that a mono SBD feed may not be a bad idea to enhance a 2 channel audio, I just don't see any serious audio recordist doing 2 channel SBD and one channel AUD.
4] On the positive side, $499.99 is a reasonable price for a 3 channel recording device. It does run on 4 AA's (6V) or AC power 9-24V so it is "standard in that regard and probably coukd be run in the field with a Tekkeon or similar battery source.

That's my $.02 coming from a new to me DR680 owner who is really starting to love and learn the 6 channel capacity of that device.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 11:13:53 AM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 10:31:15 AM »
Yeah, sort of a specific application machine.

Good for two mics + mono SBD..  But what I think about when I see these 3 channel mixer > two channel recorders is three mic stereo configurations. Think the old Nak 3 mic mixers in a taper mindset, using alternate mic configs.  Partly because I think 3 mic configurations are incredibly useful and too often overlooked, offering nice advantages over less flexible 2-mic configs while being way simpler and less error prone than 4 mic configs, yet are too often dismissed just because numerous recorders offer 4 or more channels.   

In that light I suppose a 4 channel recorder could be thought of as a 3 mic + mono SBD recorder.  :P   ..but how often does that happen? :-\

Problem is because this is only a two channel recorder, one needs to commit to a mix ratio prior to recording, rather than mixing the three optimally afterwards.  However, if always using the same mics in the same config, one could dial it in for a simple "set and forget" 3 channel stereo matrix machine. 

Might make for a cool compact Decca tree rig (3 omnis in a triangle; or two omnis + a card/supercard/shotgun/whatever in the middle).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 11:11:36 PM »
most 3-channel units are ENG recorders. (Electronic News-Gathering)

Imagine your standard TV reporter, with one camera operator and one audio recordist with a stereo boom mike, and a handheld mic for the talking head...
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 10:37:11 AM »
I owned a Fostex DC-R302.  Sold it a few months back.  Well built.  Small footprint.  Real simple design, therefore easy to use.  I did not like the small screen however.   

If it had transformers in it, I would have kept it.  Like Kyle said, its designed for ENG.

I like Fostex stuff as a whole.  FR-2 and FR-2LE are probably two of the better sounding recorders, unmodded, that you can find.   
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 10:40:25 AM by spyder9 »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com