Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Micro Speaker / Monitor Rec?  (Read 8697 times)

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
Re: Micro Speaker / Monitor Rec?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 09:49:15 AM »
I wonder if you could hack one into a MONO amp...and get two.
:)

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere about using two and bi-amp'ing.  I can't remember the site though.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 12:56:15 PM »
:o  Wow, I may need to buy 1 or 2 of those on general principal.

Focker -- I am debating switching things around and maybe getting another one of these T-amps.  If you have any interest in going the AudioEngine A5 route, drop me a line -- I might want to sell mine.

Possibly.  Still doing some homework, but will be in touch if I decide to go that route it's possible  What would you be asking?
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 01:46:42 PM »
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2009, 01:46:56 AM »
The small Gallos? www.roundsound.com

PSB alphas

Paradigm monitors (used ref 20 might fall in this range??)

there are also some small nice NHT monitors  http://nhthifi.com/current/index1.html

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 11:10:11 AM »
I dont know anything about them but newegg.com has wat looks like a good price on polk monitor50

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290014&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL090309&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL090309-_-HomeAudioSpeakers-_-LB1C-_-82290014

Thanks for the heads up on those!

Just as my follow up to focker's thread:  I picked up a pair of these Polks for my main playback system (somewhat sad, that).  I sold my Wharfedales when Elise started crawling around and have tried a few different setups.  At 2, she's in a somewhat destructive phase, so for at least then next couple of years, I didn't want to invest in anything expensive.  So I've got these Polk Monitor 50's and my Pinnacle Babyboomer, driven by a Cambridge Audio HT integrated amp.  Nothing fancy by any means, but it sounds pretty good.

For the price, you pretty much can't go wrong with these Polks.  They sound pretty good and have pretty good soundstaging.  Nothing amazing, but paired with a nice sub, very listenable.  I had been using a pair of vintage Polk Monitor 5's I bought new in the mid-80's most recently in this system.  None too big a difference in sound between the old and the new, except the soundstaging is better on the new ones.  And much better WAF.

I sold the AudioEngine A5's to help fund the playback switcharound, and pulled out an old pair of Polk RT15 mini-bookshelfs (yes, Polk has been my go-to company for mass market speakers since I got those monitor 5's -- I've also got a Polk center channel for my HT).  I just ordered another T-amp from ebay/china.  Not the one that seems to be a knockoff of my Trends, but this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290348173051

It isn't built with high end components inside, but I liked that it has a bit more power/wattage, and that it has RCA inputs for my squeezebox and 1/8" for my ipod.  It should be fine for background living room playback, but right now I've got an old Onkyo HT amp hooked up until it arrives.

Finally, for the living room playback system, I ordered this sub from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180401993653

Not bad for $70 shipped, has RCA inputs and outputs so I can easily hook it up with the T-amp, and is small enough to fit under an endtable, which is where it needs to hide to satisfy the wife.  $100 total for the amp and powered sub, speakers and speaker stands free from digging in my garage.  For what it is, it sounded fine as I tested it out last night (although hooked up to the Onkyo for now).   Even if I hadn't had the RT15's lying around, you can probably get a similar set of Polks for $50-75.  All in all, a nice little living room playback system for not much money, and a small footprint for high WAF.

After all this, I did also finally get my computer playback system of the Trends T-amp, Soliloquy Sat5 speakers, and AR subwoofer set up again as well.  It'll be nice to be able to use this speaker based playback system for editing shows rather than my Grado SR225's -- nice cans, but I never did get a good feel on how to edit/master using them.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 12:35:09 PM by Todd R »
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 12:16:19 PM »
the latest edition of Stereophile has reviews on high-efficiency bookshelf speakers
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com