Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 15679 times)

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 10:51:33 AM »
it takes all of 3 minutes to add a start menu, disable "hot corners" and set it to boot to desktop.  There's also a way to disable the lock screen that take one second or less.  It really is a great os once you forget about the "metro" gui which I spend zero time in.

currently have 8.1 on a laptop at home, but will have to look into these said tweaks......

Offline Bruce Watson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 11:47:59 AM »
Sounds a little unscrupulous to me.

Only a little? It sounds a lot unscrupulous to me, and highly unethical. It should be illegal; at least it should be illegal to force this privacy invasion on customers who do not want it.

I guess this means the end of MS in most government offices around the world, eh? I wonder how the NSA / CIA / FBI feel about being spied on my MS?   :o

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 12:50:02 PM »
My understanding is that data collection is from members of the Windows Insider Program, and only for the Technical Preview. I imagine it would be removed before the real release.

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 11:11:05 PM »
You are correct.  Anybody who signed up for the Windows 10 preview was plainly told that Microsoft would collect data.  I take that as anything you do.  I do not know why anybody would use this operating system as their primary system.  I have it set up as a Virtual Machine and testing it out with different software to see if I can get it to crash.
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 01:16:54 AM »
I'm up and running.  Initially, download kept failing.  Found a work around on the 'net.  The rest went smoothly.  Had to remove the Class StartUp Shell app after the upgrade. 

Nice to see manufacturers like Asus and Nvidia ready to rock with their W10 drivers by launch.

So far, so good.

Offline anr

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 11:04:44 AM »
I must admit I'm very impressed.  I upgraded from W7 I had 2 minor problems.  Soundforge needed uninstalling and re-installing.  No big deal.  I found some features, like "Channel Converter" were no longer available, but ok after re-install.  The other is my dual-band wireless dongle now defaults to 2G.  Can't get 5G.  That'll hopefully get resolved if TP-Link decide to issue a new driver.  Well done Microsoft.  Not often I've said that!

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 01:45:11 PM »
Bump to follow thread. i am in charge of about 60 PCs. Most are WIN7, 3 are WIN8; haven't yet decided what I am going to do as a company policy. I'll keep reading on forums such as this and other non IT forums so I can see how most users feel.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gene Poole

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 01:58:11 PM »
Although I'm not totally disgusted by Windows 10, I'm very disgusted that they still have no native support for USB Audio 2.0.  Come on M$, it's been like 8 years since the USB consortium standardized on that.

Offline anr

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 11:49:08 AM »
If I may just qualify what I said earlier.  Not since XP have Microsoft included WinHelp.  They did issue updates for W7 & 8, but made clear their corporate policy was not to provide help for legacy software.  Assuming customer pressure made them issue updates, it's strange they didn't just include it in W10. 

Anyway, for our purposes, this means Soundforge and (mostly non-Sony/Sonic Foundry) plug-ins don't behave properly if you do a clean W10 install.  But works ok if you upgrade from W7 to W10. 

So, I decided to do a clean install of W7 and wait for an update.  I withdraw my "well done"!!   

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 12:32:30 PM »
Haven't jumped on this yet, but are they sending out a license key or anything to you? Thinking in terms of the Win 7 folks who choose the upgrade option......

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 12:44:19 PM »
Of everythng I've read about W10 the primary reason I won't "upgrade" is the end-user has no control over updates. Can't deny them, can't delay them, can't select which they want to install, etc, and with MS's history of severely impacting some systems with their patches and updates, even bricking some boxes, I won't "upgrade" until absolutely forced to. I'm going to keep using some variation of Linux/BSD for my everyday online box. Sticking with 8 for my windows box which only went online once to register and get a few updates for Samplitude and now is used strictly offline as a DAW.

In the meantime I'll read your impressions of the latest OSAS (operating system as a service) from MS.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2015, 03:45:56 PM »
10 is working with classic shell on my computer!! 

I'm up and running.  Initially, download kept failing.  Found a work around on the 'net.  The rest went smoothly.  Had to remove the Class StartUp Shell app after the upgrade. 

Nice to see manufacturers like Asus and Nvidia ready to rock with their W10 drivers by launch.

So far, so good.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 > Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2015, 04:51:49 PM »
disable classic shell and check out the new start. not bad at all.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2015, 12:49:23 PM »
disable classic shell and check out the new start. not bad at all.

This ^^

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2015, 02:33:26 PM »
Can't find a way to disable login screen.....not password log in, but login itself. Why, mr gates?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com