Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: recording acoustic songs  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Thumpy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
recording acoustic songs
« on: August 28, 2007, 10:47:32 AM »
hello there!

i'm 19 years old and from germany. for about a year now i'd been writing acoustic songs. now i'm looking for a recording unit
to well.. record them. the sound i'm after is similar to johnny cash's first american recordings album. no effects or other frills needed.
i want nothing but an acoustic guitar and vocals on it. so when i asked in the shop nearby they pointed me in the edirol 09 direction.

however, i am not much of an audiophile, it is not really something i lost sleep over yet. so before i'm purchasing it i'd like to know if anyone
knows of any other recorders, or has general advice.

one thing to consider is that i can't sing, but a friend of mine. so if i put the edirol just between us, do you think it would work sound quality wise?

ok, pardon the bad english and general stupidity on this subject, but thanks for reading anyway.

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: recording acoustic songs
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 03:20:54 PM »
R-09 seems a good choice, and has OMNI (360 degree) non-directional mics, so you could position the recorder between ~middle of your guitar and his vocal balancing the  recorder distance from each so the live mix works for both of you. 

Suggest working within a half meter or closer distance from your guitar, then adjust the vocal distance for desired loudness over the guitar sound. 

Deck is now in between you both, and might be positioned just a bit higher than the guitar body, with vocalist position a bit higher than the deck (maybe mount deck on a mic stand or camera tripod).

My business site has technical review of R-09, and gear to expand this deck's quality/versatility with external preamp/stereo-surround HRTF arrayed mics.

www.sonicstudios.com/r-09revw.htm
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com