Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new Mytek Stereo 192 DAC  (Read 19284 times)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
new Mytek Stereo 192 DAC
« on: October 12, 2009, 01:29:18 PM »
http://www.macmusic.org/news/view.php/lang/en/id/8551/
http://aes.harmony-central.com/127AES/article/Mytek+Digital/Mytek-Digital-Announces-New-High-End-USB-FireWire-DAC
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-product-alert/429949-mytek-digital-announces-new-hi-end-usb-firewire-dac.html

MYTEK DIGITAL ANNOUNCES NEW HI-END USB/FIREWIRE DAC

Mytek Digital of New York City, manufacturer of high end mastering audio converters announced at AES Convention in New York, in October 2009, a brand new Stereo 192 DAC, top performance 192k PCM and DSD Digital to Analog Converter. The new DAC features USB and Firewire, as well as standard AES, SPDIF and Toslink inputs, capable of handling stereo PCM playback of up to 24 bit 192k as well as playback of DSD files with absolute state of the art accuracy and transparency.

Numerous features include: high end headphone amplifier, precision volume control with memory (separate for phones and main output), selectable upsampling to 192k and optional remote control.

The DAC will be available in Q1 2010, in both industrial and hi-fi 1/3 rack highly portable enclosure, at Mytek dealers worldwide. It's priced at $1595 for industrial version and $1695 for black or silver Hi-Fi version with RCA outputs.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: new Mytek Stereo 192 DAC
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 02:08:38 PM »
[drool]

Though I'd really like a 5 or 6 channel version of this USB DAC.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 02:49:32 PM »
Very nice!
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 02:58:58 PM »
Nice.   And, wow - they've gone to a more neutral grey shade instead of the goofy blue (what were they thinking?).

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 03:26:13 PM »
Really nice looking unit.  I wonder what street price will be once they get into distribution channels.   Guess a call to Atlas is in order.

btw... I like the blue faceplate on my Stereo96 DAC

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 06:04:52 PM »
Interesting that it does DSD... How do you send a digital DSD signal to this DAC?

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 06:08:42 PM »
Interesting that it does DSD... How do you send a digital DSD signal to this DAC?

I was wondering the same thing.
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 10:28:49 AM »

I was wondering the same thing.

I'll third that.

Cool looking unit, thanks for sharing Scott
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 07:25:37 PM »
Can DSD be transferred via USB/Firewire?

It appears the black/grey version has RCA outs, no XLR?  Does 'industrial' mean the original blue color?

And, wow - they've gone to a more neutral grey shade instead of the goofy blue (what were they thinking?).

Hey, my DAC resembles that remark!  I thought it matched the V3.  :P
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 09:45:51 PM »
In the thread about this over at GS, the Mytek representative mentioned that the DSD support is designed for computer playback over USB or Firewire.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 11:54:30 PM »
And, wow - they've gone to a more neutral grey shade instead of the goofy blue (what were they thinking?).

Hey, my DAC resembles that remark!  I thought it matched the V3.  :P

Oh.. Umm.. Did I say that out loud?  :P

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 11:46:12 PM »
What no DXD support?   ;D     ;)

Very nice!

(((deep envy)))

Enjoy it!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 11:51:14 PM by 6o6 »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 11:50:32 PM »
[drool]

Though I'd really like a 5 or 6 channel version of this USB DAC.

I'm not sure that USB could do six channels of 24/192 reliably.
I'd love to get my hands on a Digital Audio Denmark's Axion
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 11:27:51 AM »
new image:

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 11:41:08 AM »
looks sexy.
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 12:15:10 PM »
Ok, I'll bite; why the WC connectors?
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 11:05:50 PM »

For signal input and output?

I want one.
Does anyone use DSD anymore?
Seems like a "low growth enterprise"
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 11:13:25 PM »
Does anyone use DSD anymore?
Seems like a "low growth enterprise"

What?  Cities will be designed around DSD!!   Oh wait - that was the segway.

What's that thing sell for?

Offline Gutbucket

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 12:28:25 AM »

For signal input and output?

well no shit, but the real question is what functional reason is there to word clock slave against an external device in this instance? Same as far as slaving something else to this (what circumstances would you reasonably do that).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 12:33:20 AM »
Im sure in a studio this might be the norm.
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 02:46:56 AM »
well no shit, but the real question is what functional reason is there to word clock slave against an external device in this instance? Same as far as slaving something else to this (what circumstances would you reasonably do that).

You have multiple tracks; some pcm, some dsd.  You'd want them all to be in sync?

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 10:26:23 AM »

You have multiple tracks; some pcm, some dsd.  You'd want them all to be in sync?

So your left would be dsd and right be pcm? (as far as I can tell, these are 2 channel units). Your WC in is going to hit both channels, so one will always be resampled in that case (or mistimed, whatever happens when this stuff goes wrong).

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 12:28:17 PM »
Two WC sync scenarios come to mind:

1) Sychcronizing multiple DACs for simultaneous output of multiple channels (more than 2).
2) Possibly for studio or mastering type applications where a digital signal is being routed through the DAC to feed analog gear, then redigitized for further editing/processing. I imagine there might be a reason to clock sync the converters.. perhaps to calculate & compensate for the processing delay imposed when dealing with parallel processing?

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 01:21:18 PM »

For one - the SDIF connectors used for DSD requires external clock.  Each channel and clock are on there own seperate connector.

i.e. for 2 channels SDIF you need 3 connectors (1 clock, 1 channel 1, 1 channel 2), for 8 channels you need 9 connectors - if you are running multiple 2 channel dac's to decode 8 channel SDIF each dac would need to be using the same clock (possibly why there is a daisy chain capability).

This is the way SDIF has always been - go look at a PCM-2500b - using SDIF - there is clock, SDIF channel 1, SDIF channel 2
 - Note that this is for SDIF (Sony Digital Interconnect Format) and not S/PDIF  (Sony/Philips Digital Interconnect Format)

Update:
SDIF2 requires a 44.1kHz sync signal to be passed to the DAC and this should preferably come from the 1073DPD sync output via a third BNC cable. SDIF3 transmits the DSD signals with clock information included and should not need the sync signal.

Per:
http://www.ams-neve.com/Sites/8/Files/Documents/Outboard/1073DPA_DPD_User_Manual.pdf
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 02:47:10 PM by H2O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2010, 01:41:11 PM »

For one - the SDIF connectors used for DSD requires external clock.  Each channel and clock are on there own seperate connector.

I did not know that. Interesting.

Two WC sync scenarios come to mind:

1) Sychcronizing multiple DACs for simultaneous output of multiple channels (more than 2).
2) Possibly for studio or mastering type applications where a digital signal is being routed through the DAC to feed analog gear, then redigitized for further editing/processing. I imagine there might be a reason to clock sync the converters.. perhaps to calculate & compensate for the processing delay imposed when dealing with parallel processing?

I hadn't thought about multiple channels. I guess I'd assumed (which is dangerous in it's own right) that studios would use multi-channel equipment instead of the daisy chain method, but I can see some advantages to that. Right tool for the right job I guess, especially in conjunction with the DSD info.

Thank you both, learn something new every day.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 54 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com