Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Over ear headphones  (Read 6456 times)

Offline fotoralf.be

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
Re: Over ear headphones
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 04:42:55 PM »
After 30 years with my original 600 ohm AKG K240 (still the same pair), I wanted some closed headphones as a complement, not as a replacement.

I bought an AKG K271 and wasn't happy at all. Main problem being the noise generated by the sidepieces of my glasses squeaking on the faux leather of the capsules and the constant feeling of listening to an empty sea shell. So, I ordered an AT M50 and haven't looked back since.

Even the trusted K240 hasn't seen much use, lately. But I'm not quite sure if this might be because the M50 is one of those products which exaggerate in a way that anything more neutral can only sound naff by comparison.

Ralf
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 05:13:26 PM »
I don't think I have ever know this many people to agree on one product on this board. Furthermore, it may be a record for people saying their AKG gear is in some form or fashion less superior to something else.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 10:59:10 PM »
I don't think I have ever know this many people to agree on one product on this board. Furthermore, it may be a record for people saying their AKG gear is in some form or fashion less superior to something else.

;D

AKG may make great mics, but their headphones are nothing to write home about IMHO.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline fotoralf.be

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 08:03:18 AM »
AKG may make great mics, but their headphones are nothing to write home about IMHO.

I've been quite happy with my K240 for 30 years which is more than can be said of any other equipment I've ever owned. They also deserve the highest praise for the fact that I can still get all spare parts for it.

Ralf
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010, 08:12:07 AM »

Heh...I feel exactly the opposite:  I like their headphones a lot, but think their mics are nothing special.  After reading through the thread and poking around a bit online, I'm intrigued by the AT-M50s, now.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2010, 10:17:15 PM »
Heh...I feel exactly the opposite:  I like their headphones a lot, but think their mics are nothing special.  After reading through the thread and poking around a bit online, I'm intrigued by the AT-M50s, now.

best price I have seen is at b&h, $107 with free shipping. The only downside to b&h is that you have to return within 15 days.
That may be enough time, it may not be but that's a great price.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
Anyone done a direct comparison of the AT-M50s and the Sennheiser HD280?

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 04:21:28 PM »
AD700's are like 90 bucks now.
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com