Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need advice for monitoring equipment  (Read 3173 times)

Offline tbger

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Need advice for monitoring equipment
« on: May 19, 2010, 11:34:07 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've recently decided to invest in new monitoring equipment to remaster my recordings, simply got to the conclusion I should be using good equipment in order to have a 'neutral' perspective on how my recordings sound like.  I usually tape hard rock / metal shows and monitoring the recordings would be the only purpose for this new equipment.  Also, FWIW, I've been using Sony's ECM-719 for a while (into PCM-M10), though I'll most likely upgrade my gear soon with a better set of mics, should this add something to anyone's consideration.

I'd like to know generally what gear would be better to invest on - either headphones or speakers.  Concerning budget, I'd like to put up to $ 100-150, though I'm still open for more expensive offers, in case such would lead to significantly better results.  For that matter, I've read alot about the ATH-M50 searching TS for good monitoring equipment.

Thank you for any help

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re: Need advice for monitoring equipment
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 10:08:28 PM »
If your budget is $100 - $150, you can't go wrong with the Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones.  I also tape a lot of hard rock and metal, and these headphones have a great bass response.  They do not need an amplifier and can be powered easily with a lot of sources.  I have used them directly out of my mp3 player, my computer, and my home stereo with great results.  If your budget was a few hundred more, then I would look into some powered studio monitors, but for a small budget like that, the ATH-M50 headphones would treat you well.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline tbger

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 12:55:58 AM »
If your budget is $100 - $150, you can't go wrong with the Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones.  I also tape a lot of hard rock and metal, and these headphones have a great bass response.  They do not need an amplifier and can be powered easily with a lot of sources.  I have used them directly out of my mp3 player, my computer, and my home stereo with great results.  If your budget was a few hundred more, then I would look into some powered studio monitors, but for a small budget like that, the ATH-M50 headphones would treat you well.

I had doubts specifically about this issue since I've never noticed it mentioned anywhere - thank you for pointing that out !

Any other opinions welcome.  :)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 12:59:23 PM »
I agree on the ATH-M50 headphones, they are very nice phones and probably could be your best bet for your budget.  I just got a pair recently and like them a lot.  I've also got a pair of Grado SR-225 phones which I think are nicer cans and sound better to my ear, but I don't really like the Grados for mastering.  The AT's would be better suited to mastering decisions in my mind.

That said, I've never personally felt comfortable mastering or making mastering decisions based on headphone listening -- just doesn't work for me.  So while the ATH-M50's might be your best bet for your budget, if you want to think about a speaker-based playback system instead, here's a option.

I'm a big fan of T-Amps (Class T amps, based on the tripath chips) -- they sound very good period, and for the money they are killer.  Do a search on them, there are a few threads on them here in the playback section.  I've actually got 3 T-Amps in various systems, all from Hong Kong/China, 2 from ebay.  Pair the T-Amp with a pair of bookshelf speakers.  Used obviously would be a better bet given your budget.  I've got one system using a T-Amp and a pair of Polk Audio R15 speakers (also found as RT15), which are nice bookshelf's for little money.

I also find it useful to have a subwoofer in the playback system, since bookshelf speakers don't put out a lot of bass, and the shows we record probably have lots of bass.

That all said, here is a budget system I'd put forth, all new and easily purchased.  A bit over the high end of your budget, at $185 shipped for everything.  I'd bet it would at the least work ok for what you are doing, and may even sound pretty good considering its very low budget basis:

- T-Amp from ebay, this one should do nicely ($30):  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320524272040
- MTX bookshelf speakers/monitors from parts-express ($60): http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=302-019
- Dayton sub from parts-express ($95): http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-631

Free shipping on the parts-express stuff (over $100 free), and the Dayton sub has both RCA inputs and outputs, useful with the bare-bones t-amp.  Computer soundcard out > RCA inputs of the Dayton sub, Dayton RCA outs to T-amp RCA inputs, MTX speakers connected to the T-amp.  Other than a couple cables and some speaker wire that you might have lying around, $185 for the complete system including a subwoofer.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 01:18:39 PM »
Great recs Todd! 

That said, I've never personally felt comfortable mastering or making mastering decisions based on headphone listening -- just doesn't work for me.  So while the ATH-M50's might be your best bet for your budget, if you want to think about a speaker-based playback system instead, here's a option.

I agree 100%, never like mastering from HP.  I just never felt confident that the HP were giving me a true sound to what most will hear on a regular stereo.  Although many do, so to each their own....
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline tbger

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 06:30:05 PM »
Hello,

At this point I feel I've read quite a lot about the ATH-M50 headphones and probably this would be my choice for monitoring. 

Something I ran across on many reviews were a few terms that were new to me, as I'm pretty much a beginner in the pro audio world.  I've basically only approached the concert-taping world and have very small knowledge about what comes after I transfer my recording to the PC.  Things like 'high-end', 'low-end', 'mid', 'dark sound', 'bright sound', and so on - not specifically these but assuming you know what I'm talking about.  I'd like to know if someone could refer me to somewhere or just explain it in simple words.

Thank you all again.

EDIT:  A long while later, just for the record:  I ended up with AKG K-240DF and Beyerdynamic DT-1350.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 09:48:39 AM by simplemind »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com