Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: More watts aren't necessarily better  (Read 22820 times)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: More watts aren't necessarily better
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2010, 01:38:44 PM »
but isnt the SB the preamp now?  it controls volume and does the DAC work, I would say you like your SB better than your old preamp.

That is one way of looking at it. I wouldn't say the sb3 is the pre-amp, I'd say there is no pre-amp. Though I think we tend to hope that pre-amps pass source signals fairly transparently to the pre-amp..  And that isn't necessarily the case.  I do lose potential output volume, because the pre-amp can add gain beyond the source level.

I wanted to dig an old CD player out of storage to try that as a source, and see if it also sounds superior without the pre on my system.

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2010, 01:48:54 PM »
so then its a passive pre/DAC?   its still your middle man between the source and the amp, so its a pre be it passive after the DAC or not.    I do hear lots of guys echo your statements though.
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2010, 09:38:15 AM »
I suggested that I'd bring the test results when they were available:

from this post:
http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=1738.msg60519#msg60519

Quote from: MKJ

I've just run some simple measurements. Device unter test were a Saba oval fullrange driver and the 4" tweeter both mounted in the Reso front plate as open baffle. The microphone was positioned exactly in the sweet spot of the tweeter at a distance of 1 meter.

The red line shows FR of the tweeter mounted from the inside, the blue line shows the results when the tweeter was mounted from the outside.

You can easily see that there is a drop-off of 5 dB between 5 and 9 kHz with a maximum at 6 kHz. We can easily conclude that there is a huge difference. What I don't know: What is better? So, there is a muting of frequencies, but with the tweeter mounted from the outside.

A near field measurement of the tweeters shows a small drop-off between 5 and 9 kHz:

It makes a significant difference how the tweeters are mounted. But I can't say what is right or wrong.

Here are some very quick and dirty measurements with the microphone positioned off-axis at 30 and 60 degrees. Notice that these test are not reliable and should just give you an idea of the effect.

We can easily see that listening off-axis results in a significant drop-off at high frequencies. Well, this is not a surprise, we all know this effect.

Mike

« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 09:48:55 AM by m0k3 »

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2010, 10:50:13 AM »
I suggested that I'd bring the test results when they were available:

from this post:
http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=1738.msg60519#msg60519

Quote from: MKJ

I've just run some simple measurements. Device unter test were a Saba oval fullrange driver and the 4" tweeter both mounted in the Reso front plate as open baffle. The microphone was positioned exactly in the sweet spot of the tweeter at a distance of 1 meter.

The red line shows FR of the tweeter mounted from the inside, the blue line shows the results when the tweeter was mounted from the outside.

You can easily see that there is a drop-off of 5 dB between 5 and 9 kHz with a maximum at 6 kHz. We can easily conclude that there is a huge difference. What I don't know: What is better? So, there is a muting of frequencies, but with the tweeter mounted from the outside.

A near field measurement of the tweeters shows a small drop-off between 5 and 9 kHz:

It makes a significant difference how the tweeters are mounted. But I can't say what is right or wrong.

Here are some very quick and dirty measurements with the microphone positioned off-axis at 30 and 60 degrees. Notice that these test are not reliable and should just give you an idea of the effect.

We can easily see that listening off-axis results in a significant drop-off at high frequencies. Well, this is not a surprise, we all know this effect.

Mike

The tests are meaningless with out knowing what the frequency response of the tweeter it self. And again if there was any change what so ever in mic placement the test means nothing.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2010, 08:38:30 PM »
laughs.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2010, 12:01:33 AM »
laughs.

The test used "1/3 octave" smoothing when you use smoothing you lose some of the fine detail from the test and only see huge anomalies and end up with an averaged waveform display.... So if you were to turn off the smoothing then you can see the effects of the baffle more clearly, In deep detail..... and it would not look as smooth and pretty as these tests do. When you are trying to see the difference between a baffle and no baffle YOU DO NOT USE smoothing :) Just a quick lesson on how to do a proper measurement.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com