Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording on ipod?  (Read 2331 times)

Offline pdastoor

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
Recording on ipod?
« on: April 10, 2019, 10:41:29 PM »
I have a 6th gen ipod touch, along with a SP-SPSB-10 battery box and SP mics. Would I be able to record on my ipod using something like this?

Plug the splitter in the ipod. Then plug the battery box into the mic input on the splitter and plug the mic into the battery box?
Or would I have to get something like a DPA Vice?

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Recording on ipod?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 08:31:37 PM »
This type of splitter only allows for a mono input. You need something that can take a mic level stereo input. You might be able to use the Rode SC-6L interview kit (http://www.rode.com/microphones/sc6-lik) or the Blue Mikey (https://www.bluedesigns.com/products/mikey-digital/). I have personal experience with the latter, but only in recording a line level source.
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline inoutoffocus

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 11:17:00 PM »
you have to use usb or lighting connections to get stereo in. analog in isn't desired, line 6 sonic port will take a mini stereo input. has usb out to connect to device it's 24 bit as well. would work great to stream or a sbd patch to your device. mic in only provide like 2v.
so a 9vbattery box or pre is much better. app I use only has +10db gain. I need a 9v battery box/pre but I'm waiting on the v2 IPA.
Hope this helps.

Offline pdastoor

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 01:57:28 AM »
I do have a preamp as mentioned, so that is not an issue at all. So far looks like either the rode sc6 is the option or the dpa vice. Really hard to do any recordings where I live now. They stopped allowing any backpacks now, also use scanners, metal detectors and patdowns as well. So going with a phone is my best option, otherwise I might as well just give up taping stealth for good.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 02:48:25 AM »
either the d:vice or the rode unit would be a good match for your battery box as they provide gain. you wouldnt want an extra pre or your probably overload both.

depending on the SP mics you have one of those might be able to power it as well. Rode puts out 2.25V, the d:vice 5V, both are made for 2-wire mics

if you want to send me the SPs i could test them with both devices
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com