Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Have a shock mount w/ plastic threads? How to upgrade to metal threads.  (Read 11075 times)

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
The plastic threads on my Schoeps a20s always worried me. That's an expensive mount to toss in the garbage just because the plastic threads got worn out. Here's my solution:

Assuming you want to keep the 5/8-27 mic thread, get a 5/8>3/8 adapter and a 3/8>5/8 adapter (they can be had here: http://www.micsupply.com/standaccessories.htm as well as B&H photo and a numer of other places).

Prep the threaded areas of all three pieces by cleaning them w/ rubbing alcohol. Let dry.  Apply Thread-Loc or similar product (can be had in an automotive store) to the 3/8" male stud of your 5/8>3/8 adapter. Firmly screw on your 3/8>5/8 adapter. Allow Thread-Loc to set over night.

Now apply some Thread-Loc to the male stud of what is now your 5/8f>5/8m adapter. Screw firmly into your shock mount. Allow to set over night.

Congratulations, your a20s or similar mount now has metal threads!

Taking things one step further, I wanted to nix the silver finish of the adapter so I just wrapped it in black electrical tape after everything had set. I suppose you could also spray paint it too...

Hope this helps someone.  ;D

Offline aberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Team Canada
That's not a bad idea man, I just might have to use it. +T

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
Just bear in mind that once you Thread-loc it, it's pretty much permanent.

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
A couple other thoughts...

If you break the threads on an A20(s), try repairing it before considering replacement.  And if you really require a new piece, get an SG20 to use for parts.  The SG20 (mic clip) and A20(s) (shock mount) use the same exact base piece and disassembly takes seconds.

I broke a couple SG20 clips because I was using a metal thread adapter which, if turned too far into the threads, can crack the base of the clip wide open.  I don't think the weakness is the plastic threads which could potentially strip over time, but the shell itself which is weak enough to break with enough pressure on the threads.  Fortunately some epoxy seems to have repaired this one nicely, and I'm going to reinforce the rest of my SG20/A20(s) bases the same way since it was so successful.

This shows the epoxy spread around the base of the clip...

And this view is looking into the threads with an adapter in place.  You can actually see the crack at the top:
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
Good stuff Jason but a stitch in time helps save nine.  ;)

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
Good stuff Jason but a stitch in time helps save nine.  ;)

Agreed!  I'm just not convinced that having a threaded adapter stuck in there with Thread-Loc will keep the plastic itself from cracking.  It will certainly prevent the threads from being stripped, but I don't believe this is the weakness.  To prevent damage to the rest of mine, I'm reinforcing them all with epoxy like this.  I might also lock the adapters in there since I never run without them.
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com