Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Buying and customizing a pair of dpa 4061's - What should I be aware of ?  (Read 7858 times)

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Hello,

I think about buying a pair of dpa 4061's.
I know Core Sounds sells them, but I'd rather buy them from another shop and do a bit of customization myself...

So I want to get two of these : http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=Item&category=128&item=24039.

I guess I have to ask the shop to check that both caps are matched before sending them to me ?
What would be a realistic dB gap I can expect from those caps and demand ? Less than 1dB ?

About customization now, my goal is to cut-off the original microdots connectors and to merge both cables ends in one single Y-type pair of mics terminated by one 3.5mm stereo jack (like the one sold by Soundprofessionals for example).

I want to use them with my Church Audio ST-9100 preamp. Any counter-argument for that ?

Any other things I should be aware of ?

Thanks,
-fandelive
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Buying and customizing a pair of dpa 4061's - What should I be aware of ?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 03:08:31 PM »
If you are buying them new, looks like DPA's stereo mic kit would be the most flexible way to go and would give you a matched pair to start with.  Only issue is they are oriented towards XLR connectors that way. 

If you can find a pair of them used, then I suppose you can terminate them however you want without feeling that you've just depreciated the value of your purchase.

I don't know what voltage the 9100 outputs. As I recall, the 4061s will fry if you give them more voltage than they were designed to handle. 

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 03:20:12 PM »
You should be fine with a CA-9100 if it's standard as they typically are made to put out Plug-In Power (PIP) compatible which is generally between 5v and 9v. Probably in the 7.6v range.

I had Chris Church make me a short adapter cable that goes from a stereo 1/8" male to two female microdots. Allows me to keep the microdots intact, which are really nice connectors by the way, and utilize my CA-9200 preamp or other similar pres or battery boxes which put out PIP on a 1/8" female jack.

There are several threads here on this topic. I'll see if I can find one a link it.

You might consider applying your DIY skills to making yourself the adapter. The DPA "microdot" connectors are actually these RF connectors so you can buy a couple of those and solder up your own set. They aren't cheap but I think it's worth it.

I also have the option of using the DPA DAD6001 XLR adapters which convert 48v Phantom power to 9v.

Let me see if I can find one of the threads which has some details.

Edit: here's some more:

This are the connectors: http://www.pasternack.com/10-32-connectors-category.aspx

This thread by MIQ was very helpful in this regard: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=160895.0

« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 03:43:44 PM by Ultfris101 »
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 04:07:29 PM »
I would definitely hesitate to mess with a 600 euro pair of 4061s unless I was very confident in my ability to do it successfully. The wires are really thin. I would either get a y-cable like Ultfris101 suggested or ask Church if he can retrofit your pre with microdots.

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 11:03:21 AM »
You have two choices here:

1) Buy a SMK which are matched, IIRC, around 2-2.5dB of each other but you get the 48V adapters and various other goodies. 

2) Buy a pair from Len @ Core Sounds.  His tolerance is ~1dB of each other.  I believe he can leave them as Microdots if you require.

Frankly, as others have mentioned, I'd leave the microdot connectors attached and get a microdot to 1/8" adapter cable from Chris Church (or whomever else can build one for you).  At least by doing this, you have the ability to run on phantom power with a recorder that handles XLR should you want/need that or run to the 9100 with the Y cable.

The "matched pair" thing is not a huge dealbreaker IMHO because you can adjust everything in post, and likely will, anyhow.

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 01:43:07 PM »
You might consider applying your DIY skills to making yourself the adapter. The DPA "microdot" connectors are actually these RF connectors so you can buy a couple of those and solder up your own set. They aren't cheap but I think it's worth it.

[...]

This are the connectors: http://www.pasternack.com/10-32-connectors-category.aspx

This thread by MIQ was very helpful in this regard: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=160895.0

Very useful information. Thank you very much Ultfirs101 !!

1) Buy a SMK which are matched, IIRC, around 2-2.5dB of each other but you get the 48V adapters and various other goodies. 

[...]

The "matched pair" thing is not a huge dealbreaker IMHO because you can adjust everything in post, and likely will, anyhow.

Like you said, I've seen DPA is also selling them by sets of 2 matched caps with alot of accessories (http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/Mic-University/Tech-Guide/Matching-Microphones.aspx).
Fact is I currently have two honest offers from two different guys, each selling one second-hand single 4061's... I could get my pair for less than 450 USD, which would be an amazing deal !

But I'm really really really afraid of getting a (let's say) 6dB or more gap between left and right channel...
Would this even be possible with two of the same product from the same manufacturer ? Could the gap be even larger than 6dB ?

My current set has a 3dB gap, which is already annoying because I'm losing plenty of room while recording but still OK with a little adjustment in post.
With a gap that is too large, I'm afraid of getting one barely audible channel and the other one with fairly low level. A case that post-production could not solve.

Frankly, as others have mentioned, I'd leave the microdot connectors attached and get a microdot to 1/8" adapter cable from Chris Church (or whomever else can build one for you).  At least by doing this, you have the ability to run on phantom power with a recorder that handles XLR should you want/need that or run to the 9100 with the Y cable.

If I finally decide to buy them, I'll take the advice of keeping the microdots and investing in an adaptater cable so I'll be able to use the mics with my 9100 or maybe to switch to a more fitted preamp later on.
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 01:57:44 PM »
Like you said, I've seen DPA is also selling them by sets of 2 matched caps with alot of accessories (http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/Mic-University/Tech-Guide/Matching-Microphones.aspx).
Fact is I currently have two honest offers from two different guys, each selling one second-hand single 4061's... I could get my pair for less than 450 USD, which would be an amazing deal !

But I'm really really really afraid of getting a (let's say) 6dB or more gap between left and right channel...
Would this even be possible with two of the same product from the same manufacturer ? Could the gap be even larger than 6dB ?

My current set has a 3dB gap, which is already annoying because I'm losing plenty of room while recording but still OK with a little adjustment in post.
With a gap that is too large, I'm afraid of getting one barely audible channel and the other one with fairly low level. A case that post-production could not solve.

Second-hand 4061's.  Do you know their lineage and what they've been used for?  They're pretty fragile and I'd be EXTREMELY hesitant to buy a pair of ex-theatre ("broadway") beaters.  As has been discussed on here many time before, the 4061 cables are fragile and the connection to the capsules is even more so). 

As far as your matching situation -- it's also been reported that you could see as much as 6dB between capsules.  Somebody once told me, "Buy nice or buy twice."  I've lived my life buying nice since then. 

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 01:37:22 PM »
Somebody once told me, "Buy nice or buy twice."  I've lived my life buying nice since then.

I think I'm gonna buy nice better than buy twice.
Thank you ;)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 02:27:49 PM »
The concern for me with buying these used is mostly their condition, and secondarily a well matched frequency response (typically related to their condition).  I'm much more concerned with those aspects than  a super-tight sensitivity match, which can be easily adjusted for, since I tend to level balance all of my recordings by ear anyway.  The new unmatched microphones I've gotten from DPA have had slightly different sensitivities, but have always had equivalent frequency responses.

Besides the main level knob, does the 9100 have miniature internal gain pot adjustments for each channel?  I use CA-UGLYs which have independent gains for each channel so the mic sensitivity imbalance can be adjusted for in the preamp.

I'd rather have them matched of course, but even a 6dB difference wouldn't overly concern me.  It's easily correctable afterwards.  I highly doubt a new pair would be off that much though.  If it makes you feel better, think of your current setup as having 3dB extra headroom in one channel.  Unless you find you are recording things with so much dynamic range that you are finding mic-self-noise defines the recording's noise-floor in one channel, AND you are near clipping at the loud end of the range in the other, then there is no problem with balancing levels afterwards.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 02:35:44 PM »
I record classical symphonic stuff with a huge dynamic range using four 4060s and I'm often re-balancing levels between the four by 10db or more and it's never been an issue.  It might be if I were be using 4061s in those super-low ambient noise-floor situations since they have a bit more self-noise.  But for most things, the recording's noise floor will be defined by the room and considerably higher than the self-noise of the 4061.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Ziggz

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 02:40:26 PM »
Who makes the Y-adapter cables these days? Chris Church no longer makes them.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 02:58:00 PM »
Len at Core Sound will make them.  Best to contact him by phone.

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 05:03:08 PM »

If you want to terminate to mini plug i have done this many times with theses
Mics, and turnaround is next day back in the mail once i get em. I could also do a y cable if you provide the female microdot parts.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 06:56:25 AM by darktrain »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 06:13:55 PM »
The standard DPA miniature microphone cable terminates with a male dot, so to mate with that a 'Y' adapter either requires two female microdots, or alternately male microdots + female threaded barrel connectors. (DPA extension cables are terminated with male dots at each end and use the female barrels at one end)

There are no female dots intended for cable terminations AFAIK, but they can be made-up using bulkhead-mount or PCB-mount style female dots.  MIQ's thread linked above shows one way to do it using the PCB-mount version.  Chris Church made them by epoxying female bulkhead mounts into short sections of brass tubing. 

Male micro-dot terminated 'Y' adapters can be made without the special DPA microdot crimping tools by re-using old dot-terminated cable ends cut from other mics which have been re-terminated to mini-plug, mini-XLR or whatever, as long as there is enough cable left attached to them to solder to the stereo mini-jack plug.  That's how I've done it in the past.

Offline Ziggz

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 04:15:36 PM »

If you want to terminate to mini plug i have done this many times with theses
Mics, and turnaround is next day back in the mail once i get em. I could also do a y cable if you provide the female microdot parts.

For the y cable, are these the connectors? http://www.pasternack.com/10-32-female-standard-thru-hole-pcb-connector-pe44359-p.aspx
From this thread: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=160895.0

I grabbed some 4061s in the Yard Sale a year ago, with a MPS 6040 battery box. But man, they just not sensitive enough for the stuff I tape (the attached pic is a moderately loud rock band, taped outdoors about 15m from the speaker, with the M10 up to 10). So I'll keep the MPS 6040 and get some 4060's. I figure the 4061s will be easier to offload with a Y cable.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com