Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: how to paint tan dpa 4061 mic and cables black?  (Read 4122 times)

Offline bonghitwillie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
how to paint tan dpa 4061 mic and cables black?
« on: April 01, 2015, 03:03:40 PM »
any idea what is the best paint to use? what will last the longest? prefer non glare.  how to paint it on? thank you in advance.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: how to paint tan dpa 4061 mic and cables black?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 03:34:51 PM »
Covering the cable with black techflex may be your safest and least messy option.  Some versions of techflex have a less open weave and will look than others, the kind with a softer hand to it (can't remember what they call it, feels more like cotton, probably polyester) has a tighter weave and is more comfortable with less abrasion to it if you are wearing them.

If you decide to paint them, I'd use upholstery paint, available in spray cans at autoparts stores.  It is designed to adhere to vinyl or fabric remain and flexible and not crack or peal after drying.  Be careful to completely mask off the grid and the termination well before spraying!

Sharpie doesn't work very well. 
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

ilduclo

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 03:43:54 PM »
I've used black sharpie for  5+ years now. No issues at all. I have to touch them up maybe once a year

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 04:01:13 PM »
Well there you go. Easy.

Black sharpie doesn't work well on white teflon cables, and didn't work very well on a pair of beige Countryman B3 I when I tried that years ago.  I haven't Sharpie'd any DPAs though as mine are all black, I just assumed they'd be similar.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 05:27:11 PM »
The 'industrial' Sharpies might work a well for this application.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 09:27:29 PM »
Covering the cable with black techflex may be your safest and least messy option.  Some versions of techflex have a less open weave and will look than others, the kind with a softer hand to it (can't remember what they call it, feels more like cotton, probably polyester) has a tighter weave and is more comfortable with less abrasion to it if you are wearing them.

Is this what you're thinking of? Maybe the 3/16" would work, although I can't find anyone who sells that size.
http://www.techflex.com/prod_f6w.asp
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 01:36:52 AM »
Tee hee (but would work if it's water based): http://www.amazon.com/Matte-Black-Polish-Is-Murder/dp/B004WD2UC2
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline dabbler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 04:44:31 AM »
I've been thinking about Sharpie for the metal mic element and screen.
Perhaps putting the cable through a flat black shoelace, it should be softer and more flexible than Techflex.

I'm also planning on terminating a pair of used 4061s near the mic elements using MMCX connectors (same connectors used by current Shure and Westone IEMs), allowing cables to be replaceable and interchangeable with those IEMs.

Just waiting on parts to arrive...

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 05:45:55 AM »
Perhaps putting the cable through a flat black shoelace, it should be softer and more flexible than Techflex.

Or black parachute cord with the inner fibers removed.  http://www.instructables.com/id/Sleeving-Earphone-Earbud-Cords-with-Paracord/
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 05:58:07 AM »
I used the beige/tan ones for years without any issue...
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 10:53:57 AM »

Is this what you're thinking of? Maybe the 3/16" would work, although I can't find anyone who sells that size.
http://www.techflex.com/prod_f6w.asp

This is actually what was thinking of- (Flexo Noise Reduction) http://www.techflex.com/prod_nrn.asp
I've been meaning to pick some up for snaking four 4060 cables together, but the parachute cord sleeve trick may work equally well, I might try that.

This looks to be the same or similar material with a side entry slit, similar to what you linked- (F6 Quiet) http://www.techflex.com/prod_f6q.asp

[with a] "soft and flexible feel, reminiscent of old style cotton loom.. NR is used in body wiring harnesses, instrument panel and lighting wiring, cable & hose assemblies, and other limited access applications where noise reduction is desirable... The special hybrid construction suppresses noise from loose harnesses moving against body or dash panels.. The braided construction will not hold moisture and drains quickly when immersed"

Black is clearer in the midrange, with a more solid bottom end.  ;)

I'd actually like a set of four white 4060 and boundary mounts!  Crystal clear top end, no contrasting color against the shirt I mount them on.

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 08:41:53 AM »
+1

I did buy black grids and used some black tape to cover the cable along the rim of the glasses...when the cables "leaves" the rim of the glasses..tan is the way to go...talked to musicians, managers with the mics being visible...nobody noticed...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com