Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need some quick advice for a show tonight...  (Read 1750 times)

Offline firedncin8nancy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Need some quick advice for a show tonight...
« on: June 10, 2005, 12:15:42 PM »
Hey everyone,
 I'm not a taper but I'm giving it a shot tonight and hoping it turns out OK. My friends band is playing at the Lion's Den in NYC tonight. They asked me if I could try to record the show for them. What I have: 1 dynamic stage mic, 1 vocal condenser and 1 instrument condenser. Hardware: Dell Inspiron 9100, Pentium 4, 512MB, yadayada... and a M-Audio MobilePre USB with 2 XLR inputs, 2 guitar inputs and a stereo input  headphone sized. 
First of all, if they let me tap the board (which I think they may not because they sell the recordings after), do boards usually output XLR, 1/8 or 1/4? and if I can record out from the board, I want to set up a mic too so I can get the music with some crowd noise.  Which of my mics would work best for that, if any?
And if I can't tap the board and I need to record straight up, which mic/mic's should I be using?

I know these are kinda general, but other than some studio stuff I've never done any recording.. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Mike

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
Re: Need some quick advice for a show tonight...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 01:00:27 PM »
I would say the instrument condensor would be your best route, but its hard to say really without knowing the mics themselves....do you have model numbers??  why wouldnt they let you patch the board if they ask you to tape?  you can DEF do a matrix with the board and the one mic(two would be better)...can you go to your local guitar center andpossibly get a pair of mics....i think they sell the Oktava mc012's there...those would work wonderfully....but again..this is not knowing what you already have...

good luck...try to get there early and get their soundcheck, and listen to it before they start, so you cna make adjustments then....

have fun!
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline firedncin8nancy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Need some quick advice for a show tonight...
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 03:26:16 PM »
the dynamic is Shure SM-58
the condensers are a XML 990 and a 991

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com