Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How important is 7 pin  (Read 4739 times)

Offline bagtagsell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
How important is 7 pin
« on: December 31, 2003, 02:30:50 AM »
Bought a used D7 on ebay.  How important is a 7 pin cable?  I am running UA5>JB3 (optical) and I was thinking of running the D7 out of the RCAs, but if its going to suck Ill for out the cash for a 7 pin.
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
Re:How important is 7 pin
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 02:55:06 AM »
it is very important!

with the ua5 it does the analog > digital conversion, and to get analog out of it, you must go through the digital > analog conversion again, which is not anywhere near a good thing to do. this could introduce noise to your signal.

you would have to set the levels on the d7 when taking an analog signal, and on the ua5, but using the 7 pin and taking the digital signal you would only have to change the levels on the ua5.

and taking a digi signal on the d7, im assuming it has decent levels on the display, you could use the levels on the d7 for the whole rig. sonce we all know the level meters on the jb3 suck!

buy a 7 pin! but dont buy a core sound 7 pin, no matter how cheap it is!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 02:56:25 AM by caymanreview »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2003, 08:23:11 AM »
it is very important!

with the ua5 it does the analog > digital conversion, and to get analog out of it, you must go through the digital > analog conversion again, which is not anywhere near a good thing to do. this could introduce noise to your signal.

you would have to set the levels on the d7 when taking an analog signal, and on the ua5, but using the 7 pin and taking the digital signal you would only have to change the levels on the ua5.

and taking a digi signal on the d7, im assuming it has decent levels on the display, you could use the levels on the d7 for the whole rig. sonce we all know the level meters on the jb3 suck!

buy a 7 pin! but dont buy a core sound 7 pin, no matter how cheap it is!

What Dustin said.  And the reasons not to get the Core-Sound 7-pin are...in the Archival Info section!  :P
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2003, 08:36:03 AM »

What Dustin said.  And the reasons not to get the Core-Sound 7-pin are...in the Archival Info section!  :P

phorgot the ahem... :P ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2003, 09:11:51 AM »
that is unless of course you want a cheap 7-pin cable, in which case i'll gladly sell you mine!
but if i were you, i'd spend a few extra bucks, and get either an oade or prodigital cable with the true sony 7-pin head/housing and not just a cheap unshielded grouping of pins!
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2003, 09:22:50 AM »
that is unless of course you want a cheap 7-pin cable

Of course, it's no longer cheap when you have to purchase a second one because the unshielded pins get bent or break, or it stretches your female 7-pin to the point where it won't work anymore, or...oh, you get the idea.   8)

Listen to this Simp guy, it says something that he has the C-S cable and is actively encouraging you to get the Oade or ProDigital 7-pin instead.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2003, 12:22:44 PM »
i've never used the coresound 7-pin i have, it came with my m1, hence why i would get rid of it so cheaply, plus they are definitely inferior products.   seriously do yourself a favor and get a quality cable, but again if you want to go cheap, let me know ;)
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • I am a real American
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2003, 05:10:36 PM »
get a 7 pin, im actually trying out my 7 pin for the first time tonight, but i know that the part of my (c1000s>mixpad>d-8) rig that lacked was the ADC in the d8.  by using an external ADC you bypass the ADC in the d8 and that makes tapes happy.

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2004, 05:36:01 PM »
i would reccomend the pro digital cables myslef. ive never ran an oade one(yet i just bought one with my d8) but the best cable ive ever had was my prodigital active cable

Offline Savage Messiah

• Taperssection Newbie
    • My Trading Site
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2004, 11:37:21 PM »
Looks like if you want to go optical in on a D7, you'd need a Sony POC-DA12 or Sony POC-DA12P OPTICAL > 7-PIN cable. They are no longer produced and are hardly in stock anywhere, so I'd recommend you put out a request for one on the DAT-Heads list and see who responds. I practically had to weed through responses to find a brand new one and someone who took Paypal, and that was just last week. So you're probably good to go if you want to get one. New you can expect to pay about $90 for it.

Also, The POC-DA12's are pretty thin optical cables, so I've heard recommendations to wrap them in electrical tape a bit to make them a bit more resistant to interference.

As far as I know, no one but Sony produced an OPTICAL  > 7PIN > OPTICAL cable.
Collecting "new" gear.

ISO stealth DATs and cassettes from '90s rock shows!

Offline Xpanding Man

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Homer meditate now
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2004, 02:47:52 AM »
Looks like if you want to go optical in on a D7, you'd need a Sony POC-DA12 or Sony POC-DA12P OPTICAL > 7-PIN cable.

don't go optical on the D7; you're already running optical for the JB3, use coax for the D7....main reason: shit happens in the field, opticals (and unshielded core-sound 7pins) can't handle the wear'n'tear

another possibility is a 'one way' Sony 7pin-coax record cable; if it's around, it should be cheaper than the oade or pro-digital cables since it's only for recording....worth mentioning.
The ships of state sail on mirage & drown in sand (R.Hunter)

open: Busman Actives / ADK TL's / MK012s > V3 > DR70 / iRiver
stealth: AT 943 > Church Uglybox > Tascam DR2

Being Taped: 
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, Olsondoc (Languedoc Copy), Mod Midi Strat, SG, 335, etc. 
Effects: Too many
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II
Acoustics: Martin D-35 / Gitane DG-250 (Selmer Style) / Kick-Ass German Archtop (Glasl)

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2004, 07:17:59 PM »
If you decide you want to go 7 pin -> optical check here:

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=11648
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.342 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com