Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Differences in Cables?  (Read 11694 times)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re: Differences in Cables?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 10:43:51 AM »
::)

Jeese dude.  Way to slam folks who make cables.  I myself have everyone's home brew cables (with the exception of Nick-You're next I pr omise Nick!)   8)    I can say they have all performed awesome.  Not one issue with any of them.  Ever.  I disagree with your post.  If it was all about just the soldering Busman would be the best as he is a master.  JMO.

Those people that really care about making a quality product are few and far between.

At some point on this board people need to be honest about some things and calling the cable makers products identical is just bullshit.   Truth.

You know, this is pretty insane.  You are acting like the cable manufacturers on this website are a bunch of hacks that are too incompetent to build quality cables.  Look at all the plaudits that each designer has received from their customers.  Every manufacturer here has their share of support from others on this site that like the cables that X person has built for them.  Or do all of these satisfied customers not know what they are looking at either?

My impression of the guys who build cables for others on this site is that they are not a bunch of idiots like Daryan who are learning as they go and sell their "work in progress" to others, only to (literally, in the case of some of Daryan's cables) blow up in their faces.  While they may not be as technically skilled as Chris Johnson, Doug Oade, or Drew Baird to design and build their own equipment, they are more than qualified to build some microphone cables.  They care about their customers and all want to further the ultimate goal of having higher and higher quality recordings in the community.  They contribute to this end by building high-quality cables for tapers.

And if you don't want to patronize the cable makers on this board, fine, go elsewhere.  I chose to go with Moon Audio because of their design and the high quality of components used.  Although, having just purchased some very nice cables from Nick, I figure that if given the the exact same type of cable and components that Drew from Moon Audio uses, Nick could assemble it just as well.

BTW, does Matt even build cables anymore?  I contacted him a while ago about building me a cable and he responded by saying that he was taking a break for a while.  I went with Nick instead and am very happy with the results.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 10:48:35 AM by jlykos »
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 10:59:30 AM »
I've seen this all before on head-fi.  People who spend 100's of dollars on cables need to make themselves feel good knowing they overpaid for a piece of wire.

My $10 mini interconnect has worked flawlessly for years.  YMMV   ::)
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 11:17:19 AM »
I've seen this all before on head-fi.  People who spend 100's of dollars on cables need to make themselves feel good knowing they overpaid for a piece of wire.

My $10 mini interconnect has worked flawlessly for years.  YMMV   ::)

And alternatively, people who don't spend high dollars on cables and use el-cheapos need to make themselves feel good for their decision not to invest money.

Look, I'm more that willing to concede that people who spend high dollars on cables will have an inherent bias that leans towards their own decision.  But that cuts both ways -- people who choose not to spend big money on cables also have a bias that leans towards the decisions they made.  It's important to recognize the sources of bias, but it isn't at all safe to assume that only the ones buying the boutique cables have a bias.

Long before I started building cables for others (which I no longer do), I built cables up from a variety of cable stocks, did listening tests, and chose the ones I liked best.  I built and owned them all, so I'm not sure why I would've been biased towards one or the other. 

People should definitely listen and make their own choices, but I don't think there are any hard and fast rules.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 11:20:29 AM »
I for one, am more than happy to teach anyone to make their own, and I encourage it.
its not rocket surgery.
:)
Just source the parts and assemble.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 11:31:46 AM »
You know, this is pretty insane.  You are acting like the cable manufacturers on this website are a bunch of hacks that are too incompetent to build quality cables.  Look at all the plaudits that each designer has received from their customers.  Every manufacturer here has their share of support from others on this site that like the cables that X person has built for them.  Or do all of these satisfied customers not know what they are looking at either?

From what I have seen with my own eyes and from what other friends and tapers have shared with me I'd say at least half of the cable makers here are hacks without doubt.  Look at all the plaudits?  Shit man if someone came out and said xxxxx cable maker sucks then there would be a whole shit storm of people denouncing the poster for slamming xxxxxx cable maker.   We can slam guysonic for being overpriced or we can slam Len for whatever but god forbid we take one of our own to task.    This site has definitely moved in that direction of not criticizing fellow members or else feel the wrath of others.

Or do all of these satisfied customers not know what they are looking at either?

I'd say some of the 'satisfied' customers are satisfied because they didn't pay very much and are happy they got a deal.  When these people though are having to send their cables back to be fixed and you start including shipping, down time then it suddenly is not a deal.

I want to make it clear that there are many really good cable makers here. Matt, Todd R, Ed and Brian come to mind instantly.   So i'm not trying to paint some broad stroke about everyone other than Matt.   

Again I go back to build quality.   There is a difference and more often than not it is very obvious.

^^^^  Good post Todd  re: bias

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 12:32:46 PM »
if you're only using two cables, maybe four, why not spend a little more and get quality cables that way you know they will last. now if you're a musician using 10 SM57s or something, you don't want to go broke on $80 cables.
 I think the problem is that we have different definitions of quality and that's perfectly fine because it will offer more options for people to buy cables.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 09:38:22 PM »
There's certainly some great discussion going on here, but unfortunately it's only confusing me more and adding more questions...

Basically I want to know what cables to buy.  Something about 15' long to go from my Busman BSC1's to a PS2.  Too easy a questions?  How about a short (1-3 foot) cable that takes the XLR signal output of the PS2 and puts it into a 3.5mm male to plug into my R-09HR?

Please feel free to PM responses; I know lots of people worry about hurting people's feelings.
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline deadheaded

• Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 09:44:39 PM »
There's certainly some great discussion going on here, but unfortunately it's only confusing me more and adding more questions...

Basically I want to know what cables to buy.  Something about 15' long to go from my Busman BSC1's to a PS2.  Too easy a questions?  How about a short (1-3 foot) cable that takes the XLR signal output of the PS2 and puts it into a 3.5mm male to plug into my R-09HR?

Please feel free to PM responses; I know lots of people worry about hurting people's feelings.

hey this is ed from kind kables.
i would be more than happy to make the that you need.
if you have any questions get in touch.
thanks
ed
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 04:27:43 AM »
This guy makes the best home brew cables on TS.

GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline travelinbeat

• Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 05:54:08 PM »
PM sent to Ed--

Any other inputs?  Please just feel free to PM and tell me what cables you use and why you made the choice you did.  Just that little bit of information would be REALLY helpful at this point!!!
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 06:14:39 PM »
I use mostly Mogami and sometimes Gotham cable.

Sorry, I don't buy into the whole silver cable thing, bu that argument's been covered enough in this forum already.   :P

I figure if it's good enough for thousands of professional engineers, FOH, studio guys and musicians - it must be at least halfway decent.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2009, 07:16:19 PM »
I've seen Darktrains work a few times and it's spot on.
Plus his sets are realistic in $$ terms.
A lot of prices I've seen people buy cables for are laughable.

FWIW
I work at a custom cable facility myself and made my own.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 07:32:36 PM by newplanet7 »
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2009, 07:36:04 PM »

FWIW
I work at a custom cable facility myself and made my own.

2nd'd on Darktrain.  Great stuff and very reasonable prices. 
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2009, 03:39:41 PM »
If you support your customers with good communication, after the sale service and guarantee of your work I think you are not considered a hack. I had two customers return cables for a fix. Nobody's perfect.

I think the main advantage of having taper based cable makers for the market is the familiarity they have with the gear. A taper can contact someone with a specific mic> esoteric pre > funky a/d > recorder in gear bagX requirement and we can work with them. About half of my mic cable/interconnect or power cable sales have been for VERY customized setups.

newplanet7 I've seen several posts on TS alluding to everyones inflated prices except for Darktrain's.
If you work at a cable facility and make your own of course you think the prices are high. While you are certainly entitled to your opinion.....ease up on the rest of us alright?

Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2009, 04:55:57 PM »
newplanet7 I've seen several posts on TS alluding to everyones inflated prices except for Darktrain's.
If you work at a cable facility and make your own of course you think the prices are high. While you are certainly entitled to your opinion.....ease up on the rest of us alright?

Show me where I made any specific mention of anyone else?
I have never and ever will call out anyone for their prices.
I wasn't referring to anyone at all.
I certainly wasn't speaking of you cooker.
What I said was

This is truth. People paying hundreds of dollars for cables is laughable.
Sorry to be honest here but it's definitely price gauging at that point.
However it's also a free market so, if people want to pay a specific amount
for an item that's fine by me. I am just voicing my opinion in the cable thread.
I am not denouncing any ones work or business since I haven't a clue of what
you or nick or whomever sells them for.

I was referring to public yardsales where I have seen interconnects and cables
go for, to me, unreasonable amounts.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 07:41:26 PM by newplanet7 »
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com