Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 45s on rega p1  (Read 6163 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
45s on rega p1
« on: August 22, 2009, 05:05:30 PM »
Anyone else ever have issues with the p1 playing 45s? Namely, when I change the belt it never stays on - it just slides right off.  ???

I've thought about getting a belt just to play 45s with so that I'm not stressing/stretching the belt but still, this shouldn't be happening.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: 45s on rega p1
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 06:58:09 PM »
I had this problem on my P1, and honestly I think it is a design flaw.  That said, what I did was the following:

- I put the belt in a bag with talcum poder and shook it around and added it back to the table and it didn't slip.

- Like you though, this annoyed me as it shouldnt be like that, so I got in touch with Chris with Eugene Hi Fi who sold it to me, and he coordinated getting it returned to the sound organisation in TX, who performed the service on it.  They claimed that the engine was seated a little low which caused it.  But that said, most owners of P1s that I know have had this same problem.  What they did corrected it (or maybe it was the talcum belt) but I am still not convinced it is not a desgn problem...

all fwiw as always

Offline Tim

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 07:52:06 PM »
very helpful Nick, thanks!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 12:11:56 AM »
have you cleaned the pulley? The belt?
Nick makes a good point about the talc (After cleaning).
I've been spending a goodly amount of time reading a DIY turntable building/rigging forum, and, they mention, consistently, that Rega doesn't torque down on its tightening specs, preferring the slight isolation/damping of looser settings (most consistently mentioned regarding the tonearm base mounting).
So, considering that, and the fact that no matter how hard we try, there will always be micro-vibrations loosening components, you might check the mountings.

Me,... I've been having fun finding out just how much snake oil is involved in turntablin'. I've been digging getting back to basics, no frills spinnin'.

Another Rega design flaw -> no 78, and no infinitely-variable speed drive wheel :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 12:14:25 AM by mfrench »

Offline Tim

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 09:12:55 PM »
talcum powder trick worked perfectly - thanks Nick. Of course now I've just spent an hour putting together a wish-list over at musicdirect of jazz 45 reissues

that's interesting Mike. I've slowly over the last few weeks been diving deeper and deeper into the audio boards and magazines. Its been awhile since I paid this much attention to the hobby. I may need a 2nd job ;D

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 09:42:17 PM »
Glad it worked.

Vinyl is an addictive hobby.  Just recently got a vpi 16.5 cleaner.  New preamp next.  Divorce court cannot be far behind

mfrench

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 10:46:50 PM »
You guys can learn allot about turntablin', here: http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php
There are some really sharp people there.
The forum is mostly centered around Lenco tables, which are sleepers. They're great decks, and a wonderful building base, as they're customizable to an extreme degree.
They're of the caliber of the best decks ever built, the Thorens TD124 idler wheel drive, and the Garrard 301 and 401 idler drives.
The Lenco decks are idler drives as well, and a great bargain, considering the Garrard and Thorens decks start at $1k for hard used vintage used gear, and go sharply up from there.
You can still get Lenco for about 25% of that.

I've got a guy, from this lenco forum, who builds multi-thousand dollar tonearms, who is mentoring me in building a free garage junk tonearm.  The little arm will be a sweet arm, and my total investment (less a nice wire loom) will be about .50¢, as its left-over junk from building mic clips, house projects, bird perches etc.
He could be building really spendy tonearms, and other gear, but has chosen to help me build something from nothing, another sleeper.
At any rate,... great forum - go sign up. Like here, its not all viewable without an account.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 10:49:35 PM by mfrench »

mfrench

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 10:52:41 PM »
damn,.... I got to rambling and missed making my point ::rolls eyes::

There are some good tips for Rega and Thorens tweaking over there as well (at Lenco).

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 11:21:18 AM »
I await the day when Moke's posts include wow and flutter    ;D
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

mfrench

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 01:03:02 PM »
thats what those decks that run off of a piece of looped/knotted angels hair experience, not the idlers.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 10:32:08 AM »
Glad it worked.

Vinyl is an addictive hobby.  Just recently got a vpi 16.5 cleaner.  New preamp next.  Divorce court cannot be far behind

What are you using now, and what are you moving to?
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 11:13:29 AM »
Glad it worked.

What are you using now, and what are you moving to?

I have a rega fono that I am currently using.  As for what I am moving to...not sure yet.  I was going to talk to my local guy and see if he would let me trial the clearaudio preamp...

Offline Tim

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 07:21:47 PM »
price points on those nick? Just curious what sorts of money leaps we're talking about

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 08:56:23 PM »
the rega fono is a $300 pre...the clearaudio unit is in the $600 range. 

Offline Tim

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 09:21:15 PM »
thanks man!

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 02:09:48 PM »
Ditto, thanks for the feedback.  I'm just trying to get a handle on the different phono pre options people are using, since I seem to have lost my pre during my move a few weeks back. >:(  It's gotta be somewhere, but damned if I can find it.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com