Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: blank dats?  (Read 7012 times)

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • half dead batteries
blank dats?
« on: November 27, 2009, 07:51:44 AM »
ok, stop laughing but who still sells blank dats?

the 2 places I used to purchase from are no longer around (cascade media and a local place) and I have no idea what other retailers are still out there. a cursory google search gives me places where they state shipping will be in 2-3 weeks... and I want some for Phish C'ville in 1 week.

the water's clean and innocent

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
Re: blank dats?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 09:15:49 AM »
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 09:17:43 AM by Lil' Kim Jong-Il »
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 11:02:41 AM »
If you don't mind using DDS tapes (I preferred them when I ran DAT), check your local office supply store. If there is a good independent store rather than one of the national chains, they should be able to get them in a couple days rather than a couple weeks. My local indy store would have them by three if I let them know by noon, if I ordered later in the day they would be there the following day.

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 09:40:13 PM »
There's also www.tapes.com, which has Maxell 90 meter DDS blanks for $2.50 each...I'm not sure how that compares to the vendors above and I'm not sure how quick they are on shipping.  I'd pick the vendor that is closest to you that will ship the day you order them if you call in the morning.

http://www.tapes.com/index.php?cPath=27_58&osCsid=0da33fd1e80327efcf460da475b6b857

As for the laughing part...I still run DAT so I guess folks can laugh at me too.  Mostly I use them as a back-up to my 24bit laptop sources.  At this point I haven't had the funds to buy a HD recorder that has a digital in for this purpose and one of these days I will but my DA-P1 never fails me so at this point I'm not sure I want to shell out  $500+ for a device to make a back-up recording.  I even still stealth with my D8 and SBM-1 occasionally.
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 10:09:48 PM »
I still stealth with dat, too.  Oh, wait, I mean a some guy I know stealths with a dat.  I of course wouldn't do that.   >:D
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 12:20:07 AM »
Ebay
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 12:08:56 PM »
I have a bunch of unoped and unused 60m and 90m dat cassettes if anybody is interested.  Will sell for pretty cheap.
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

Offline sparkey

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 03:06:53 PM »
So here's a question....

What is the latest ethically responsible manner of passing your DAT tapes on to some one who is interested in starting their own collection?  I'm dumping loads of music to my 722 and am eagerly anticipating not having my DAT collection after it is archived.

Thanks,

Josh

Offline Boedi-taper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Support Your Local Senior Taper!!!!
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 09:22:51 AM »
My opinion: I certainly think it is very reasonable to get rid of recorded dat tapes of live music at $1.00 or $2.00 a tape plus postage,depending on the length of the dat tape and the condition and age of the tape of course.You are certainly not profitting off the tape that probably cost you at least $3.00 or so if it was a dds tape,more if a regular dat tape.I know someone who got some superb sounding dats off of the Dead summer 1992 tour  2 or 3 years ago in a similar scenario.Amazingly they were in great condition!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 09:26:06 AM by Boedi-taper »

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 10:05:25 AM »
what's a DAT? :)

Offline sparkey

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 11:47:02 AM »
My opinion: I certainly think it is very reasonable to get rid of recorded dat tapes of live music at $1.00 or $2.00 a tape plus postage,depending on the length of the dat tape and the condition and age of the tape of course.You are certainly not profitting off the tape that probably cost you at least $3.00 or so if it was a dds tape,more if a regular dat tape.I know someone who got some superb sounding dats off of the Dead summer 1992 tour  2 or 3 years ago in a similar scenario.Amazingly they were in great condition!

I have dats that are....feeling old here....close to 20 years old (not ones that I taped, but ones that were given to me).  I repack them and play them occasionally without problems.  They've never been subjected to temperature extremes.  I have had some problems with newer DDS tapes that are just a few years old, dunno if it was a manufacturing issue or what.

So I won't get flamed here asking for $2 a tape?

Thanks,

Josh

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 12:47:13 PM »

I have dats that are....feeling old here....close to 20 years old (not ones that I taped, but ones that were given to me).  I repack them and play them occasionally without problems.  They've never been subjected to temperature extremes.  I have had some problems with newer DDS tapes that are just a few years old, dunno if it was a manufacturing issue or what.

Thanks,

Josh

As long as you sell them as used DATs and don't mention precisely what the contents are you should be ok. If you list what band and the date of the show expect some roasting. At least that's what has happened in the past with used madia.

Offline sparkey

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 02:09:34 PM »

Thanks,

Josh

As long as you sell them as used DATs and don't mention precisely what the contents are you should be ok. If you list what band and the date of the show expect some roasting. At least that's what has happened in the past with used madia.

Sounds to me like the trolls will split hairs just to stir the pot.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »

Sounds to me like the trolls will split hairs just to stir the pot.

sometimes even hairs need not be involved for the trolls to appear and start stirring

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com