Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: High Gig Portable Flac Player recomendations  (Read 46692 times)

Offline teamdrink

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: High Gig Portable Flac Player recomendations
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2010, 09:34:37 AM »
Check out the Archos 5 500gb with Android

http://www.squidoo.com/portable-flac-player-comparisons

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2010, 09:49:54 AM »
Check out the Archos 5 500gb with Android

Any idea if it plays them gaplessly?  What about 24-bit?  I can't find any mention of either of these on the product specs page.

http://www.archos.com/products/imt/archos_5/specs.html
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2010, 10:48:50 PM »

Has anyone used the iAudio 9 from Cowon?  I own the iAudio 7 which I love, except for the fact that the FLAC playback is not gapless.  Curious to know if they fixed that....

"Santa" just ordered one of those for me for Christmas, but I haven't tried it out yet.  From what I understand, the gapless FLAC issue is addressed, but again, I cannot verify this for myself.

Just unwrapped my new i9 and am listening to it now.  Can confirm that it plays gapless FLAC files (listening to The Wall now).  16 bit only; I believe that the Hifiman players are the only ones that can play 24 bit, unless there is some app that does it for the iPods.  Hifiman players are not gapless and are reported to have a rolled off treble, however, which is not what I want from a player that costs a minimum of $250.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Flip

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2010, 05:49:05 PM »
Saw this link on etree today.  Did not realize that there that many flac players around.

Flip
Flip

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2010, 06:05:25 PM »
I'll be damned if I haven't lost my second Gigabeat player already!  I hope that it is packed away in one of my boxes!
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline weroflu

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2011, 08:02:48 AM »
can someone recommend a 320gb 1.8" hard drive portable flac player?

Offline ben_r_

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2012, 01:04:32 PM »
Bumping this thread to see if any new suggestions are out there. What are you all using now?

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2012, 04:01:55 PM »
Based on this thread, I am buying a Cowan J3 8 GB.  I have a micro SD card to increase the capacity. 
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline jlykos

• Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2012, 03:16:40 AM »
iPod Touch 4g with the FLAC Player app.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2012, 06:13:09 PM »
my buddy is playing 24/96 flac files on his motorola android without resampling, so that's another option to consider.

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2012, 08:57:48 PM »
Again, anything Rockbox flavor should work.  Who knows, you may already have one of these already lying around...

http://build.rockbox.org/

I :heart: my Toshiba Gigabeat.  40GB of FLAC/SHN/Whatever
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline phr

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2012, 03:44:39 PM »
Wow, this old thread still alive :).  Recently someone reported that the Cowon D2 can accept SDXC cards if you format them to FAT32.  So you can put a 128GB card into a D2.  I think I'd just get that and call it a day.  The 128gb cards cost around $170 and I figure that 256gb cards will be arriving soon (since they now have 64gb micro cards, and the full size card is about 4x as large physically).  The 64gb microsdxc's are currently $135 so still much higher $/gb than a 32gb card or a full sized 64gb, but if you are flush you can use one in a Sansa Clip+/Fuze or Cowon C2/J3/whatever.  These all have good SQ.

The Archos 48 (500gb Android 1.6 player) is discontinued but adorama.com still has some around $200.  I'm slightly tempted because I figure once they're gone, nothing like that will be made any more.  I think it uses a laptop sata drive so you can upgrade it to 1TB.  SQ is supposedly not too bad, but maybe not as good as Cowon or Sansa.  There is also the Cowon x7 which is a 160gb hard drive player that's gotten some favorable comments, though it's kind of big and expensive for my tastes (I'd want a hd player to have 500gb or more).  The Archos also has a USB host port so there's a chance you could set it up with an external DAC/amp, giving you an ultra capacity audiophile rig that's still reasonably portable.

Using any type of handheld electronics while driving a car is apparently illegal here in California and you can get a ticket for it.  I guess I can sort of understand that it takes more cognitive effort to operate something that's not on a fixed mount of some sort.  I bought an in-dash player with an aux input a while back but I find I never use the feature, so I'd go for a pure in-dash player for car use now.  There are probably some that play flac.

I've used car FM transmitters a few times and they just totally suck, especially in urban areas (strong broadcast signals and no empty channels).  They might be useful in some last ditch situations when it's someone else's car and you're out in the boonies, but if you're setting up your own system it's far better to avoid.  Bluetooth ad2p is probably ok but I haven't tried it.

The hifiman player got pretty bad comments on ABI, apparently it's not that great an audiophile device, more of a high-$$$ gizmo for its own sake.  There's a new comparable unit from iBasso that sounds like a hifiman "done right" though comparably expensive (way out of my range so I didn't pay close attention).  I'm not convinced 24 bit is worth it for portable use.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 03:49:35 PM by phr »

Offline weroflu

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2012, 07:15:02 AM »
not necessarily relevant but,

mounted   a 1tb hard drive to a samsung galaxy s1 phone. decent to more than decent sound quality

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2012, 10:08:41 AM »
phr, let us know how that D2+128GB SDXC card works out.   I've kinda been in the market for a new mp3/flac player for ages and been holding out.  100+gigs would be ideal.

SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline phr

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2012, 03:31:54 AM »
phr, let us know how that D2+128GB SDXC card works out.   I've kinda been in the market for a new mp3/flac player for ages and been holding out.  100+gigs would be ideal.
Georgios, a number of folks on iaudiophile.net (the Cowon users forum) are using this setup and they say it works ok.  You could check there or ask people about it there.  I will probably get one of those cards for my D2 eventually, but not very soon, because the cards are still pretty expensive and I don't need the space yet.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com