Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 2nd hard drive  (Read 2554 times)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
2nd hard drive
« on: February 03, 2004, 04:53:33 PM »
hey folks, I just added a second internal harddrive in my computer.  (actually, it's the hard drive from my old computer.  when I got a new comp. back in Dec, I was lazy, and I didn't get around to adding this harddrive until now.)

So I've got two 40 gig drive, both 7200 rpm.   when I installed the second drive, everything went smoothly, and then I reformatted that drive.  the plan is to keep the new drive just for music, and everything else on the other drive.

here's my question:
do I need to put Cool Edit on the music drive?  and CD Wave?  what about the FLAC and SHN software?  should the programs for music be on the music drive?  or are they ok on the other drive?  and, if you can answer it, why or why not?

thanks,
Jason

Offline mirth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
Re:2nd hard drive
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 05:04:15 PM »
your programs are fine where they are. just remember to save new files to the new drive.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Uncle Jimmy

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 05:30:03 PM »
I have only one thing for this. The programs should be fine where they are. It used to be that shntool might need to be placed in a particular place, but I have even found that to be untrue these days.

Just be aware that if you want to play back using winamp or something, that you may have to test different configurations.

That's it...

J----

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 05:44:20 PM »
thanks for the quick response, both of you.  That's what I was thinking, but I wanted to check with some other folks.

now, one more question (this issue just arose).

it appears as though the drive is running very slow.  I just tried to burn an audio disc from the "new" music drive, and I ended up with a coaster.  then, just to double check, I ran the .md5 files for the .wav files.  (with mkwACT, on the "program" drive).  it took a considerably long time to verify, much longer than normal.  (my new machine is a 3gHz p4)...

any ideas?  I'm running windows xp, and windows says everything is normal with the drive...

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 07:33:21 PM »
Both drives on the same channel, master/slave? Master on the primary & secondary channel? Where's your CD-Rom in relation to the drive in question (same bus, different)?

If the drives are on separate buses are you using 80-pin UATA cables for both?
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Willie T.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
    • My Site (down), well sometimes it is.
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2004, 10:20:15 PM »
Also what operating system are you using?  I would make sure DMA is on, and try different master/slave configs.
"Man or woman, if you aren't getting laid, you're being too picky. You just have to find that delicate balance between personal satisfaction and shame." -- Teabag

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 01:07:24 AM »
i agree with what mirth and wtreynol said.  check those things out first.  
wtreynol that avatar is mesmerizing.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2004, 11:26:16 AM »
Both drives on the same channel, master/slave? Master on the primary & secondary channel? Where's your CD-Rom in relation to the drive in question (same bus, different)?

If the drives are on separate buses are you using 80-pin UATA cables for both?

Also what operating system are you using?  I would make sure DMA is on, and try different master/slave configs.

ok, slow down.  How do I check those things.  here's what I know...

the cable connecting the first harddrive had an extra thing on it, so I set the "music" harddrive to slave and attached it to the same cable.

the other cable in there is attached to my two CD-roms.  the primary one is just the cd-rom, and the secondary one is my burner.

I am using xp home edition.

how do I check what channel the drives are on?
how do I check if the drives are on the same "bus"?
what is DMA, and why should it be on?  what does DMA do?

thanks for any and all help... Jason

Uncle Jimmy

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2004, 03:59:53 PM »
Well, i have asked many of these same questions. Float on over to the etree forums (forums.etree.org) and search on the topic "Computer as Source" by author Uncle Jimmy.

or try this

http://forums.etree.org/viewtopic.php?t=2983&highlight=

it has some of these answers included.

Good luck,
J----

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com