Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rendering issue with Vegas Studio 9  (Read 10148 times)

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Rendering issue with Vegas Studio 9
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 09:36:12 PM »
In vegas pro there is the ability to use scripts,but not in the lite versions. Sony gives you a batch render script in TOOLS.But that just allows you to render 1 segment to a bunch of different formats.As for you tube rendering... That would depend on your source material  if its hd you should render to hd.And i always use Best Full resolution rendering it makes a big difference especially with hd footage.For you tube i use windows media video with 6mbps.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 09:44:38 PM by beatkilla »

Offline junkyardt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 10:14:43 PM »
no HD...this is all standard def MiniDV video transferred via Vegas' Sony Video Capture.

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 02:28:53 PM »
alright the first settings i tried, MPEG-4, 640x480, mp3 @ 128kbps, 48khz didn't work AT ALL for youtube. the rendered files look and sound fine on my PC, but when i uploaded one to youtube...A) it didn't fill the youtube window (too small) B) the video quality had been degraded to an unacceptable level and C) worst of all, the audio sounded like shit, like an mp3 encoded at 48kbps or something.

obviously i need to try some different settings and render again, as the quality the first time was simply unacceptable. it was like comparing a VHS master to a 6th gen copy. i knew youtube compresses stuff, but i thought they improved the quality of videos in recent years by adding an HD option? my video isn't in HD, but still, i thought their improved quality would apply to standard def and to improved audio quality as well?

this is MiniDV video shot in widescreen being sync'ed to external audio source in 16/44.1 WAV. now i'm confused because originally i found a youtube help page recommending MPEG-4 and 640x480 as the optimal format for uploading, but now i found another one recommending MPEG-2 and the original resolution, which in my case is 720x480.  ??? anyone have any guidance? i'm going to try again in MPEG-2, 720x480, mp3 @ 224kbps, 44.1khz and see how that looks when uploaded.

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 03:42:39 PM »
Try WMV with 192kbps audio and video at 8mbps.

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 03:55:44 PM »
In wmv there is a custom tab on video size change to 720 x 480 and change the pixel size to 1.2121 and in last tab 8mbps make sure quality slider is at 100 and best full resolution rendering (also in vegas project properties).The initial you tube upload will be low quality and the higher quality version will still be processing and be available shortly after.

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 04:13:18 PM »
ok, i'll give wmv a try too. any idea how big a resulting wmv file might be at those settings for say, a song in the 3-6 minute range? when i rendered one song (6 minutes, 9 seconds) in MPEG-4 (the first file that turned out poor on youtube) the file size was 53 MB. i just did MPEG-2 with a bitrate of 9.5 MB/s and that seems a lot better quality, but the file size for that same song is now 397 MB.  :-\ which leads me to the key factor i hadn't really considered -- how long these are going to take to upload. i know youtube allows files to be up to 2GB now, so the size isn't an issue in terms of their limits, but it is an issue in terms of my upload speed -- i only get around 30 MB/s upload. of course i could just leave it uncompressed and render in raw DV/AVI w/PCM WAV audio for best quality, but a single song would probably be anywhere from 600 MB to 1.3 GB in that form and would take anywhere from 6 to 12 hours PER SONG to upload on my connection in that form. that's a bit insane. even that MPEG-2 file i just rendered would take quite a while. so i guess i'm also trying to find the best tradeoff in quality vs. reasonable upload times.

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 05:42:46 PM »
First i may have the aspect ratio wrong it may be 1.12121 will double check in a bit.Also ive tried every way of uploading and the method i mentioned was the best.I tried raw avi which took much longer and made no difference. You tube compresses regardless. I think youll be pleased with my method.

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 08:03:37 PM »
how long these are going to take to upload. i know youtube allows files to be up to 2GB now, so the size isn't an issue in terms of their limits, but it is an issue in terms of my upload speed

I've recently uploaded some big files to youtube (1GB+).  I was pleasantly surprised to see that they uploaded very quickly - around an hour for a 1.5GB file.  Of course, upload bandwidth is a critical factor.  But as far as how fast youtube goes - it's very fast.

The only thing that seemed to make a difference was the time of day for the uploading.  Late at night = the fastest upload times.  Early evening = the slowest.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2010, 08:28:09 PM »
Yes time of day is a big factor for upload speeds...and for the pixel aspect ratio it is 1.2121 for dv widescreen.Sorry for inaccurate info earlier.

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2010, 11:13:56 PM »
i only get around 30 MB/s upload

That sounds pretty darn fast to me.  I get, maximum, about 70 kilobytes per second upload.  Or about 0.07 MB/s.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2010, 11:57:25 PM »
i only get around 30 MB/s upload

That sounds pretty darn fast to me.  I get, maximum, about 70 kilobytes per second upload.  Or about 0.07 MB/s.

whoops, haha. yeah, 30 MB/s would be phenomenal. of course that was a typo and what i meant to say was 30 KB/s.

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2010, 10:30:22 AM »
alright, if this is the best that can be done with youtube in 2010, i'm about to give up on it. i tried the wmv you suggested beatkilla -- the file itself has good quality and is around 213 MB for a 6 min video, which is high but is an acceptable size i guess. took about 2 hours to upload and the first time it got to 100% and said "upload failed due to an unknown error", so i tried again...another 2 hours and this time it went through. so after 4 hours of uploading, the video quality isn't too bad, a little degraded from the wmv file but acceptable i suppose. but the real problem is still with the audio -- it sounds terrible. the audio was 16/44.1 wav in Vegas, then rendered to 320 kbps/44.1 in the WMV file. i thought maybe youtube uses 128kbps/44.1, which usually sounds like a mostly acceptable copy of the original. but the audio in my youtube upload sounds nothing like the original -- now it sounds all muffled and poor, and all clarity on the high end has been lost. the cymbals now sound all gross and crunchy. this is even in 480p -- in 360p it sounds even worse. it sounds like youtube is compressing the audio to maybe, at best, 64kbps/22khz as well as adding some nasty dynamic range compression or something else. whatever it is, it's unacceptable and i don't see any way to get around it as youtube seems to provide lots of info and choices about video quality (concerning HD), but says nothing about audio. i find it ridiculous that they allow all this space now for HD video but they can't provide a few extra MB of streaming space for improved audio (say, 128kpbs or 192kbps mp3s?)

ETA: after digging around forums it appears standard def video has a max audio bitrate on youtube of 76kbps, and even for HD the best you get is 128kbps. screw that! my videos aren't in HD so i'm not going to bother 'up-converting' them and going through a whole shitload of extra time in rendering larger files and uploading larger files just to possibly improve the audio quality from 'total shit' to 'mediocre'. gonna try uploading to facebook and see what the quality is like there, as i've heard it's better than youtube. if it's better there, might just post everything to facebook instead.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 11:27:52 AM by junkyardt »

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
I don't know what it allows as far as audio and video specs, but also check out the video upload site vimeo.com.  I have uploaded a lot of videos there and they *appear* to look nicer to me than videos I've uploaded to youtube.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2010, 01:05:46 PM »
hmm, now i notice that if you add &fmt=18 to the end of the URL it improves the audio quality greatly. though most people aren't going to figure that out as the default link that will come up in search will be the regular one with poor audio. argghhh...

yeah i was thinking about giving vimeo a try too.

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2010, 05:45:33 PM »
With my settings dhdnt you get a watch in higher quality button?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.121 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com