Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: omni mics, NOS? (outdoor fest)  (Read 9017 times)

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA collection
Re: omni mics, NOS? (outdoor fest)
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 10:56:39 AM »
I was looking around for more information on omni spacings and recording angles and found this in the "healy method" post -

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=96672.15
when you start spacing the caps further, you want to start bringing the angle in from 180*

extendeding on the post above that I quoted from Hartkopf's page, first column is spacing in centemeters, second is angle from the soundsource.

from http://web.archive.org/web/20050314085929/members.aol.com/mihartkopf/lexicon.htm

17 180.0
20 116.4
25 85.7
30 69.0
35 58.1
40 50.3
45 44.4
50 39.8
60 32.9
70 28.1
80 24.5
90 21.8
100 19.6

of course this is all theory, do what sounds best to you  in the applications you use. ;)

Any thoughts on this?  My mics set up nicely around 30cm, so this table suggest a 70 degree recording angle?  Without a disc will that angle and spacing produce any amount of stereo separation? 

Thanks!
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 12:16:30 PM »
The "recording angle" in this table is not how far apart to aim your mics.

It's how far apart two sound sources need to be to image far right/far left on playback, given the specified spacing of two omni microphones aimed straight ahead.  So the "right" way to use this table would be decide how large of a recording angle your source material encompasses (perhaps with a cushion), and pick a distance between mics accordingly, although I do not recommend this blind approach when you have a choice.  But more it's just useful to understand how changing mic spacing affects the recorded stereo width, in relative terms.

Angling omni mics will give you a slightly wider image than facing them straight ahead since omnis aren't really omnidirectional at high frequencies, but this directionality varies from mic to mic so there's no hard and fast formula for how angling omnis should affect imaging.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 12:46:13 PM »
What Will said.

Quick field approximation for measuring angles: the width of a fist held at arms length covers an angle of ~ 10º as viewed by the squinting, angle aproximating recordist.  Fists and arms vary, so calibrate yours by measuring a known angle and adjusting.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 03:36:25 PM »
I think omnis in a NOS looking setup would sound great. 
- I listen with earbuds/headphones a lot, and too much split doesn't please me. I think 12" is probably a good compromise between DINish and wide-splits.
- Omnis will pick up more chatter around you if there is the typical crowd... that's a fact of life.  A little chatter is OK, but too much really pisses me off.

I'm conservative by nature.  I would probably run that way for some of the of the opening acts (the ones that I might not get around to tracking anyway), and then "go with what you know" (in my case cards/DIN) for the main acts, just in case it didn't work out as well as I had hoped.  Also, a lot of festival fields are "half full" during the day, and then are "really packed" when the main acts come on at night, which is when the chatter factor increases.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 04:13:06 PM »
I'll be taping Mule tommorrow night. I am 3rd row center, so I have to be very low pro if I want to run any higher than head height. I will be running Church CA-14 omnis in Healey along with Church cables/Audix caps ORTF to 4 channel. I made a DIY 1/4-20 threaded rod to attach to my stand. The "T" portion at the top is 1/8" flexible Aluminum wire to which the mics will clip. I wanted to go with Healey because I will be so close. There ae 4 JBL "fill" PA's at stage lip. I expect to pick those up along with the actual on-stage sound. We'll see what happens.

Offline ehren

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Of course this is a taper ticket!
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 06:17:09 PM »
I've been running Church CA-14 omnis on a NOS mount and have loved the results.

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 06:48:46 PM »
If it's loud enough, I've had great results with Healy both indoors and outdoors.  I've also had great results outdoors with near-NOS (omni) and 30cm split omni's AB.  Just beware of excess chatter if you're not raised/isolated enough.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 07:31:06 PM »
That's why I made the thin rod stand attachment. In the dark, it will be nearly invisible. That way I can raise it up higher. Also, I just got that new TS shirt today, so surely that will KILL the chatter! >:D

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 08:41:10 PM »
The "recording angle" in this table is not how far apart to aim your mics.

It's how far apart two sound sources need to be to image far right/far left on playback, given the specified spacing of two omni microphones aimed straight ahead.

Actually it looks like for this particular table, it's how far off center does a sound source need to be to image all the way to the side.  So double it to get the stereo recording angle you may be used to from the stereophonic zoom.

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 11:24:27 PM »
I have found that if the engineer doesn't crank it too loud you just get alot of chatter with omnis or subcards. this has made me rely on hypers or cards more and more outdoors. it is so hit or miss with engineers. I will say that i have made some smoking good recordings with omni healy method with 3' split but that was only b/c the PA was loud and there weren't people standing within 10' of my stand. bring both sets of caps and see what the soundcheck sounds like then make your decision.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 11:30:46 PM »
I have found that if the engineer doesn't crank it too loud you just get alot of chatter with omnis or subcards. this has made me rely on hypers or cards more and more outdoors. it is so hit or miss with engineers. I will say that i have made some smoking good recordings with omni healy method with 3' split but that was only b/c the PA was loud and there weren't people standing within 10' of my stand. bring both sets of caps and see what the soundcheck sounds like then make your decision.

Anyone here ever run directionals like A-B omnis for this reason?  Say 3' spaced cards or hypers with no angle between them but facing directly ahead?  That could reduce the chatter but retain some aspects of the omni A-B'ness (time difference stereo, big open sounding decorellated ambience, etc).  I've seen crazier configs.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Əkoostikal

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • One of these days....
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 12:11:26 AM »

Anyone here ever run directionals like A-B omnis for this reason?  Say 3' spaced cards or hypers with no angle between them but facing directly ahead?  That could reduce the chatter but retain some aspects of the omni A-B'ness (time difference stereo, big open sounding decorellated ambience, etc).  I've seen crazier configs.

I have heard a couple Schoeps 4v's AB split about 6' outdoor tapes and I thought they smoked! 

Doesn't Sonicsound on here run mk5's NOS along with 41's or 41v's ??..... I know he mostly always seeds/posts the 4chan stuff but perhaps he could post some samples of a few of his FOB's with just the mk5's and no 41's mixed.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 12:18:28 AM by Əkoostikal »
BONGWATER via Etree:

"Phil Keeps on growing, never even slowing, never really knowing all of the minds he's really blowing!!!!!"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.17 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com