Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Netflix streaming problems  (Read 43701 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Netflix streaming problems
« on: December 26, 2010, 10:59:56 AM »
So, I bought a Sony BDP-BX37 (S370) at Costco about a month ago so I could stream Netflix to my HD TV.
I ran a hard wire to the Sony from my router. When I test my internet speed, I get 10mbps - 12mbps consistently on my main computer.

The problem is that when watching anything on Netflix in HD, it pauses several times during play back to re-buffer. Even when I don't use the computers attached to the network.
I'm wondering if this is a common problem with Netflix streaming?  ???

I called Netfix, they say it's my internet connection speed. I call Comcast and they say I have a 12mbps account, and there have been no problems with my internet connection. Netflix says I need at least 5mbps and no less than 1.5mbps. From what I can tell, my network is easily compliant with that requirement.

So, is it the Sony player? If it's the player, I'll bring it back and get another one.  ???

I really don't know what to do. When I works, streaming Netflix is awesome. The HD looks very good. But, I'm not OK with the constant pausing.

Anybody out there have some insight on this?

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
Re: Netflix streaming problems
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 04:57:37 PM »
So, I bought a Sony BDP-BX37 (S370) at Costco about a month ago so I could stream Netflix to my HD TV.
I ran a hard wire to the Sony from my router. When I test my internet speed, I get 10mbps - 12mbps consistently on my main computer.

The problem is that when watching anything on Netflix in HD, it pauses several times during play back to re-buffer. Even when I don't use the computers attached to the network.
I'm wondering if this is a common problem with Netflix streaming?  ???

I called Netfix, they say it's my internet connection speed. I call Comcast and they say I have a 12mbps account, and there have been no problems with my internet connection. Netflix says I need at least 5mbps and no less than 1.5mbps. From what I can tell, my network is easily compliant with that requirement.

So, is it the Sony player? If it's the player, I'll bring it back and get another one.  ???

I really don't know what to do. When I works, streaming Netflix is awesome. The HD looks very good. But, I'm not OK with the constant pausing.

Anybody out there have some insight on this?

Yeah when I try and watch it on my net book its a problem.. My wii seems to stream it just fine. But I only watch in 780 not 1080.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 09:03:14 PM »
We have a wee and recently streaming issues have occurred when the router was moved into a different room so for the time being, its sitting on the ground outside the room. It still looses the internet connection somehow so we just reset it and resume streaming.

For your issue, I would try to bypass the router and see if it stalls out. If it still does, take it to a friends place who also has comcast to see what happens. If it still occurs, I would suspect the sony s370.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 09:22:47 AM »
My router is a bit old. It's the D-Link DI-524 C1.
Are there any ports I need to open or settings I need to change for Netflix?
I read somewhere that it may be a router firewall issue?

I'm starting to think it may be the router...
I found the latest firmware (2006) for it.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 11:39:58 AM »
I did only about 5 minutes of searching to see if netflix uses a particular and specific port but I could only find people speculating it using 80 which is also www.
Also, all the posts seemed to be mentioning wireless streaming--not a direct connection.
Perhaps to test it, you can
a) temporarily disable any router firewall
b) connect sony into modem directly. 

In your oP, you say hardwire. Does that mean the actual network cable from the router sony to the router?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 11:51:33 AM »
Yeah, I have a network cable run from my router to my Sony BD player.
I did find a couple of posts that suggest some tweaks to my router set-up that might help.
I'll have to try them after work today.

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 12:30:53 PM »
I would bypass the router just to be sure thats the problem before you go chasing ghosts, Chuck.
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 09:51:01 PM »
Have you attempted to bypass your router and do a direct connection yet?

Offline Chuck

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 10:43:26 AM »
Yes, I did bypass the router and I am experiencing the same problems. Some nights the it works well. But, some nights it's really bad.

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 11:05:16 AM »
I have been streaming netflix to my ps3 through a router on a 3.0/768 DSL connection. I never have drop outs. So you certainly have way more bandwidth then is needed.

If the issue is int. I would suggest loading up the netflix streaming on a PC and on your standalone box. Pick the same show/movie and see if they both experience the trouble at the same times. Or if it is easier when you encounter the issue with the netflix stream have a computer near by and see what the connection is doing at that time.

You should be able to narrow it down that way if you haven't already.

Buffering would suggesting network congestion.

I see you bypassed your router. So it is either the device or your connection. My guess is it is the connection. It is the only thing you don't control and the cable/telco techs aren't usually all that willing to try to track down INT issues. You have to basically get them on the phone while it is happening to show them. Anything after the fact they will simply dismiss as user error etc.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 11:06:26 AM »
 Did you update your firmware by any chance?
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Chuck

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 07:40:56 PM »
I'm running the latest firmware for the Sony.

All my problems are from watching HD content...
I just did some experimenting today.
I tried with the router, without the router, with no other computers running on the network, etc...
I'm still getting long pauses during most HD content.

I even did speedtests during several of the pauses, and I always get the same approx. 11mbps download speed.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 03:57:27 AM »
are you able to watch non HD content without the pauses?

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 06:48:39 AM »
Chuck, have you tried to watch Netflix on a normal computer or laptop. Ideally I would plug a network cable into a computer at the same location as your Sony player.

If that clears it up, you probably need to replace the Sony player...if not, it may be something else. Either your network, router, cable modem or the Comcast connection.

FWIW, I have no problems watching Netflix with Comcast in Boulder. Works great with either my Roku or any other computer, including wireless.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Chuck

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 11:10:36 AM »
are you able to watch non HD content without the pauses?

Yes, and I can watch some HD content without problems too.

Chuck, have you tried to watch Netflix on a normal computer or laptop. Ideally I would plug a network cable into a computer at the same location as your Sony player.

If that clears it up, you probably need to replace the Sony player...if not, it may be something else. Either your network, router, cable modem or the Comcast connection.

FWIW, I have no problems watching Netflix with Comcast in Boulder. Works great with either my Roku or any other computer, including wireless.

I didn't know I could watch HD on my laptop. Actually I doubt my laptop old Toshiba Satellite can handle HD.
I've talked to several people about this and it sounds like it may be my player. I'm off to CostCo today to return the Sony and look for a Ruku.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com