Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Netflix streaming problems  (Read 43700 times)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Netflix streaming problems
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 12:13:36 PM »
When I test my internet speed, I get 10mbps - 12mbps consistently on my main computer.

It is normal practice for ISPs to prioritize traffic to speed test sites.  So the results aren't typically reliable.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 05:42:23 PM »
I brought the Sony BDP-BX37 back to CostCo and just ordered the Roku XDS from Amazon.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 11:56:47 AM »
Let us know what happens.  I love my LG, I've been streaming a movie every night and the picture quality has been great.   Streaming Youtube and Pandora is fun too.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Chuck

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 12:01:14 PM »
I will update the thread after I get the Roku box and have some time to use it.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 02:51:28 AM »
I brought the Sony BDP-BX37 back to CostCo and just ordered the Roku XDS from Amazon.

Nice! Love my ROKU. I have the original. The new ones look really nice. I like the ability to stream over your network or attach and external HD.

I'll probably wait until the next version to upgrade though.

Hopefully that fixes your problem. I have zero issues watching Netflix with my Roku. The NHL and MLB apps work great too.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Chuck

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 11:02:39 AM »
Well, I got the Roku XD/S via UPS yesterday. I like the interface better than the Sony.
I didn't have any problems streaming HD. I think it's a keeper.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 01:34:30 PM »
Well, I got the Roku XD/S via UPS yesterday. I like the interface better than the Sony.
I didn't have any problems streaming HD. I think it's a keeper.

Nice! Love mine.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 01:52:28 PM »
What is the difference between a Roku and an apple tv? I haven't studied the two since I don't have a nice tv but the roku certainly more affordable.

Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 05:39:07 PM »
What is the difference between a Roku and an apple tv? I haven't studied the two since I don't have a nice tv but the roku certainly more affordable.

We picked up a Roku box when they first came out and even beta tested several versions of their software, which was mutually beneficial during the infancy of Netflix streaming.  Roku was the only option for streaming Netflix at the time.  The Apple TV model available at the time of course did not have Netflix streaming at all.

Currently, Roku will also stream LMA, Apple TV will not.  Our Roku unit allows component, composite and HDMI video output with both optical and analog audio outputs, not sure about the current Roku boxes but Apple TV does not have the same output flexibility. There are other differences but we don't really find ourselves using the other available features on Roku much except when conducting the beta tests.

Many devices will stream Netflix now, which is our primary usage.  Some of the devices have implemented a better GUI than others for streaming Netflix.

Now that both our main TV and Blu-Ray player have Netflix streaming built in, the Roku unit has been moved to another TV. 

Roku's interface is the most enjoyable followed by the Blu-Ray players.  The TV's implementation of Netflix while certainly usable is a bit awkward compared to the other two.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:19:24 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Chuck

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 06:16:34 PM »
How do you stream LMA with the Roku ???

One thing I noticed is that Netflix says it's streaming HD, but my HD TV says the incoming signal is 720p.

Offline Gil

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 06:28:25 PM »

One thing I noticed is that Netflix says it's streaming HD, but my HD TV says the incoming signal is 720p.

I always thought that Netflix HD was 720p.
"Let's go do some crimes."

"To his mind, an opportunity to insult a successful ape came from the hand of Providence."

Teac ME-80(cards & omnis), AT943(hypers)>Tascam DR-2d

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 06:28:36 PM »

720p is HD.

This whole solution intrigues me.  If I can find a box that allows streaming from online as well as directly from my computer, I'm definitely going to give it a go.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 06:29:19 PM »

LMA Archive dot Org setup info here ---> http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku/

720p is High Definition, OTA HD broadcasts are either 720p or 1080i depending on the network.  ABC for instance chose 720p standard because it is better for motion i.e. sports than 1080i.

Original Roku boxes could only do 720p HD but I believe the newer boxes have the option for 1080i too, this would appear in the settings menu.  Some older HD sets could not accept 720p only 1080i.  I believe Apple TV is 720p only but not certain on that.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:52:01 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Gil

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 06:33:19 PM »

720p is HD.

This whole solution intrigues me.  If I can find a box that allows streaming from online as well as directly from my computer, I'm definitely going to give it a go.

I've been shopping for a Bluray player, and many of them these days appear to be DLNA certified. Might want to look into that option.
"Let's go do some crimes."

"To his mind, an opportunity to insult a successful ape came from the hand of Providence."

Teac ME-80(cards & omnis), AT943(hypers)>Tascam DR-2d

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 07:48:19 PM »

720p is HD.

I've been shopping for a Bluray player, and many of them these days appear to be DLNA certified. Might want to look into that option.

Our new Oppo 93 Blu-Ray player is real sweet, streams Netflix similar GUI as Roku and plays everything including; SACD, HDCD, DVD-Audio/Video, Blu-Ray3D, even low tech MP3 discs and Video CD's.  Doesn't stream LMA though, but who knows maybe with a firmware update down the line.

Check it out if you are in the market for a disc player now...

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 09:41:01 PM by DigiGal »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com