Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Remote caps mic mount bar - multiple fixed spacing and variable included angle  (Read 5376 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
I generally prefer more flexible mic spacing than offered by most low profile mic mount bars (Kwonbar, NOLA bar, Vark bar, etc.).  I regularly find myself wanting to run a spread anywhere from 20 cm - 50 cm, with variable included angle.  The Kwonbars and such provide good spacing at 17/20cm and 30cm, but with fixed 90º angles.  I like to run even wider, sometimes, and often want to vary the included angle depending on the situation.  And besides, the Kwonbars et al aren't available for all mics with remote caps.

With full size SDCs, I achieved the flexibility I like at a very reasonable price as noted here.  But I don't really have a similar setup for my new-to-me Franken Naks. Pure DIY with all-thread and PVC tubing or some such struck me as a PITA and not terribly compact if I need to start carrying around long lengths of PVC tubing and various all-thread lengths.  I stumbled across the Shure A26X and believe several of them linked together will provide the flexibility I need.

Connecting the two mic clips ((I think they're MBHO, but nearly any other would suffice) with an Atlas 5/8"-male coupler or various numbers of A26X + a jam nut to ensure proper alignment gives me pretty good flexibility for spacing:  18, 23, 30, 38, or 46 cm.  Again, all with variable included angle.  See attached photo.

I had the Atlas coupler and the various adapters and such on hand, and the 4 x A26X set me back a total of $22 at Jack's Music Factory.  In the disassembled photo, I have two 5/8" adapters / male barrels because the A26X 5/8"-female thread is surprisingly deep, so the first barrel goes all the way in to fill space and remove the need for a jam nut on that end, and the 2nd one connects the mic clip.

Now, the next step:  find a shockmount that handles the approximately 17-18mm diameter of the Shure A26X.

Specs for the A26X:

Aluminum
5/8"-27 male on one end, 5/8"-27 female on the other
3" (7.62 cm) long
~11/16" (17.5mm) diameter (Shure provided only an approximation)
1.5 oz (42.3 g) (Shure said 1.1 oz, but my digital scale says 1.5 oz)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 01:01:15 AM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
Hey cool idea...
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Slick system!

Maybe check the Rycote Invision 'Lyre' suspensions and see if there is something that fits the diameter for your moduar bar.
http://www.rycote.com/products/invision_video/
http://www.rycote.com/products/invision_broadcast/
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
An update...

Gutbucket was kind enough to send me some shrink tubing (0.75" - 0.24", 19mm - 6 mm) to widen the bars' diameter a bit.  Unfortunately, the shrink tube wasn't quite thick enough for the Schoeps-like shockmount (22mm?) that came with my Franken Naks.  I took a chance on buying an A53M via rokpunk, for which it turns out bars + shrink tube was too thick.  And the bare bars (sans shrink tubing) were too thin for the A53M.

Rather than dork around trying to find the perfect size shrink tubing -- the A53M doesn't appear particularly forgiving of diameter, since too loose and it just spins, too tight and you'll stress the rubber mount too much inserting / removing -- I opted to simply wrap the bars in gaffers tape.  It didn't take long to figure out the length of tape to wrap around the bar in order to optimize fit -- relatively easy to insert, but tight enough the bar won't spin.  I used a full 2" wide strip, then a partial strip of ~1-1/8".

Edit to add:  I miss the cable holder from the Schoeps A20S, so I wrapped a thinnish but longish strip of velcro around the based of the A53M.  It's long enough I don't have to take it all the way off / on to secure the cables -- just unwrap it partially, put the cables in position, then re-wrap the velcro.

Success!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 10:21:13 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Roland R-05

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
Yep, that's what I did for my vm44 mount but I used cold shrink tape.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
Marking thread, nicely done!
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
very cool idea... marking thread.

Offline mysticeyes

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Regular
Atlas makes 3" and 6" tubes with external 5/8" threads on both ends that can be useful when combined with those Shure A26's. However, the Atlas tubes are chromed and, in order to be visually inconspicuous, need to be covered with gaffer tape or something to that effect. A black rubber coating might be another solution.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
Atlas makes 3" and 6" tubes with external 5/8" threads on both ends that can be useful when combined with those Shure A26's. However, the Atlas tubes are chromed and, in order to be visually inconspicuous, need to be covered with gaffer tape or something to that effect. A black rubber coating might be another solution.

That's exactly what I've been using with my Milab VM-44 Links and their unique mic clips.  I had to wrap the chrome plated tube in gaffers tape not so much to make it visually inconspicuous but so that the shockmount I'm using (Rycote INV-6) would get a better grip on it.  Works like a charm.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
FWIW, I had to wrap my A26X bars in gaffer tape, too, so they fit into the shockmount.  What I like about the Shure A26X is that I don't need any additional hardware to screw them into one another, so I have very flexible spacing without the need for one or more barrel adapters.  At any rate, Atlas or Shure, both good options for flexible spacing and angle.  :coolguy:
Roland R-05

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
Thanks for the great suggestions!  I ordered a few of the items mentioned and I'll give it a shot later this week.

David
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com