Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: VMS5U powered by Tekkeon 3450, voltage question?  (Read 3451 times)

Offline ttrego2003

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • nobody puts baby in the corner!
VMS5U powered by Tekkeon 3450, voltage question?
« on: May 21, 2011, 01:44:31 PM »
So I'm reading that the vms5u can take anywhere between 5v-15v(500mah) as long as the external device does nor exceed 4 amps. I connected the unit to the tekkeon and it locked on 14v, is this OK,because i was thinking more like 6v. The unit's manual says that 6v lead acids at 3.5 Ah can power unit for 12hours. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I just bought two of these to run this schoeps unit and a AD2K. Also, can't I just hack one of these cables and solder on a 4pin XLR for AD2K?

Todd

Offline jibooer

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Searching for the perfect jam...
Re: VMS5U powered by Tekkeon 3450, voltage question?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 07:20:39 PM »
Sounds like you got one of the newer Tekkeon's...I really don't what to tell you as the new ones have that feature so that you don't accidently start a device and the improper voltage. I think if you had one of the older versions, which has 'selectable' voltages, you could try to run it at 6v. As far as the XLR power cable goes, you would have to search some threads here about the pin assignments of the Tekkeon plug.

Sounds like a great combo though, I hope you get it working.
Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL
Pres: Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2
Cables: GAKables exclusively, AKG MK46, Naiant PFA's
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-44
CPU for DSP: Toshiba Satellite A660 i7 > audioengineD1
Cans: ATH-50
VINYL: Rega Planar 3 > Rega Brio-R > Wharfedale EVO2-30

Offline kingkita

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 01:48:55 PM »
What you have to do is set the power first with the Tekkeon cable plugged in, Then plug the cable into the Vms5u,I run both mine on 9v on the Tekkeon.It know this works i have been running mine that way for awhile now.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 02:15:44 PM »
You can hack the Tekkeon power cable but be very careful as there is a 2-3 strand tiny wire in the cable that you need to jumper to ground (i believe) in order to "turn on" the battery.  This wire is VERY fragile and can break if you try and strip it in a conventional fashion.

I usually cut the wire towards the tip end and then cut back casing using small wire cutters by cutting down on the casing.  Once all three wires are exposed (small black, white, and red?)  I use a utility knife to shave off the casing on the black wire and strip the other two larger wires.  I believe you tie the tiny black wire to the white wire but I would verify this by plugging in a tip to the now cut off tip end and doing a continutity test to see which of the two exposed wires are jumpered.

You don't want to mess the cable up as it is almost $20 to get a new one.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 02:18:23 PM by H²O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 12:14:18 AM »
you sure you have a 3450 and not the 3750? The later has the auto select while the former (newer models) will step down to the lower allowable voltage, but evidently has a setting (I have the "i" model which is completely manual so I'm just working on what the site says)

just checking is all.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline kingkita

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 07:31:05 AM »
It sounds like he has one of the newer ones grayson,to solve hes problem all he has to do is have the Tekkeon power cable into the battery,select voltage, Then plug into vms5u,I ran into this problem when i started using the newer tekkeon its a mp3450,Now i use my older tekkeon that are the 3300 model and they work just fine,the vms5u is great it uses hardly no power at all.This is a simple fix no need to cut wires just a extra step, Hope it helps

Offline ttrego2003

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • nobody puts baby in the corner!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 08:59:23 AM »
Ok, got tit to lock on 6v, so if i'm reading this right, the unit will show low battery indication if source is below 7.2v( i guess i don't need to worry about that). Thanks for all the help guys. Don't think I will hack cable for 4pin xlr for AD2K, maybe just get Ted to build me one.

Todd

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com