Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audio Quality of Sony HX9V vs. Other Pocket Digicams  (Read 6399 times)

Offline Keith Hook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Audio Quality of Sony HX9V vs. Other Pocket Digicams
« on: January 18, 2012, 07:42:16 PM »
Shopping for a camera to shoot inside concert arenas and finished reading most of the forum on the Sony HX9V, but I still have some questions…

I have not found external mic inputs on any of the small, point and shoot cameras that security will allow into bigger venues. The Sony HX9V appears to beat the competition for overall picture quality and sound. But from the clips I’ve seen, the audio is somewhat scratchy or brittle, and lacks punch in the lower frequencies.

I researched the Canon SX 230, Lumix ZS8, all the Nikon Coolpix pocket cams, Olympus SZ 30MR, and none seem as good as the Sony in the clips I’ve seen.

3 questions:

Have I missed any smaller cameras with better internal mics (especially for hard rock with heavy bass) than the Sony HX9V?

Is there a relatively small digital camera that actually has an external mic input? Need to be able to get it in the door at the show.

What’s the best Small/tiny external mic for stealth recording of loud rock with minimal distortion?

Offline Keith Hook

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Audio Quality of Sony HX9V vs. Other Pocket Digicams
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 02:27:44 AM »
Is there a secret to getting a response to a post on this website? It's my first post here and I thought it was a pretty intelligent question I posed.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 03:04:11 AM »
I'm not aware of an external input on small cameras. Many go the route of using a separate recorder (Sony M10 in my case) and external mics for audio, as the best place for a camera is often the wrong place for the microphones.

There are also many discussions of how to sync audio and video in post production.

As far as stealthy mics for loud concerts, again do a search. most people with experience will discuss options and techniques in private messages. It's called stealth for a reason.

Good luck, glad you care about the audio.

Here's a video I provided audio for.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jusmg8YkGGo&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=SP18A69F5E6EF31805
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Keith Hook

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 07:38:18 AM »
Very nice clip. Great cover with its own unique style to it. Shooting and editing is first rate. And the audio was via the M-10? The bass cuts through and the separation and EQ are on the nose. I like the Sony HX9V video capabilities and once I can find one of those cameras actually in stock, I will see about a budget-minded set-up using the M-10.

Here's a clip from my site that I shot of Queens of the Stone Age in 2001. (back when we all used Hi-8's) A twisted cover of "You're So Vain." Had a press pass to shoot, but it was still difficult to get a comfortable angle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXDWok09bXI

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 02:32:44 PM »
Very nice clip. Great cover with its own unique style to it. Shooting and editing is first rate. And the audio was via the M-10? The bass cuts through and the separation and EQ are on the nose. I like the Sony HX9V video capabilities and once I can find one of those cameras actually in stock, I will see about a budget-minded set-up using the M-10.

Here's a clip from my site that I shot of Queens of the Stone Age in 2001. (back when we all used Hi-8's) A twisted cover of "You're So Vain." Had a press pass to shoot, but it was still difficult to get a comfortable angle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXDWok09bXI

The full chain was Avantone CK-1 (busman mod) mics > Denecke PS-2 phantom power supply > Sony M10. There is a set of Busman BSC1 mics (almost exact same mic, he's just cut out Avantone) in the yardsale right now.

The mics were hung from the light grid about 15 feet from the stage at a height of 12 feet from ground. No EQ was used for the video. I remastered the show before posting to archive, brought the 60Hz bump down a few db.

Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Chrisedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 01:24:05 PM »
I use the Sony often by itself or with a separate recording setup. (see sig)

Very loud, just with Sony Audio (Paul Gilbert)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_SUB18g1wU

2 Cam Foo Fighters with separate audio (I think my battery in battery box was going dead, hence the brickwalling sound, still not bad)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8xNBzC0Af0
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline Keith Hook

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 09:56:57 PM »
So you used the Sony HX9V, just with its own internal mic on the Paul Gilbert clip? Sounds really good... How well does the internal mic on that camera work when the kick drum and the bass guitar get going? In checking around, I haven't found any point and shoots that can handle a lot of low frequencies -- the HX9V being the best I've heard. Would be curious if you have any clips with the Sony shot under those louder conditions.

I called Sony and they said the HX9V was on backorder until late Feb. Have you heard of any quality issues since they switched the factory from Japan (after the earthquake) to the Philippines? I assume their quality control is good.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 11:21:40 PM »
The audio will be completely distorted up close in the impact zone.If your farther back it might be listenable depending on how picky you are.

Offline hellawaits77

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 01:37:12 AM »
Yes, it's probably best to get an external audio recorder.

I have a Lumix digicam, which has a decent internal mic, but I still run an external rig.  I've read that your camera and Lumix have comparable audio quality, with a Lumix having a slight advantage.

Offline Chrisedge

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 12:09:09 PM »
I was RIGHT up front and it was LOUD for Paul Gilbert.

Foo with Cam Audio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZrGz4WUoXM

All The Guitar Geek stuff on my page is cam audio...not all of it was as loud as Paul though.

Overall, the Sony is not as good as my ZS3 was but certainly "liveable" as a camera. You will always get better results with ext mics and recorder, but I don't always bother syncing it all. (I have ext audio for all the Guitar Geek stuff but don't bother syncing it since it's about 8 hours of footage)
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline Keith Hook

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 04:56:29 PM »
Got a question about the Sony HX9V and point and shoot digicams in general. When shooting music indoors in front of a stage, I have noticed the camera wants to focus on the brightest light source, usually the drummer or something bright in the background. The performer in front tends to be slightly fuzzy, even when the camera is being zoomed in, it'still trying to lock onto the light source in back of him.

Is there anything that can be done while recording to minimize this effect? Are some specific P&S cameras better than others at handling this?

Offline Keith Hook

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 10:37:33 PM »
btw, I did find one point and shoot size camera with an external mic input that would be low-key enough to use at big concert venues without being hassled by security. It's the Nikon 7100 $499. Unfortunately, it only shoots at 24 fps whcih disqualifies it. Maybe someday soon a small digicam with an external mic input will be available at 60 fps progressive. But thanks for all the feedback on external recorders. Exploring that avenue will be my next move.

Offline shoestringconcerts

• Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 08:45:08 PM »
I believe the Canon SX40 has a mic input

about the hx9v focus issue,  its the only weak point I see in the camera, i love mine and use it all the time, even on professional shoots.  i dont have a solution except to say to back off he sho tand give the camera a chance to refocus.  Tracking Focus and Face Detection should help
Tascam dr2d - Tascam Dr60
Video: Canon M50/M500 (5)
Panasonic LX7 (2) - Sony EOS-M (2)
Sony HC1 - Panasonic SD600 - Sanyo FH1
www.shoestringconcerts.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.156 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com